• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aus vs NZ - 1st Test Sydney 17Aug2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Wait what?

How dare you question Will "Holy fuck he's gods gift to rugby" Genia! Seriously though, no one comes close to him.

Everything else you said was pretty spot on though :p

Haha...I wondered how long it would be before someone bit at that one :)

That's just my opinion of him. At Super Rugby, he's the man and he's shown some flashes of brilliance at Test level but IMO, I don't think he's been consistent and when he's not hot, he's pretty average.

RWC 2011 he was average and the last Lions Test for example. I know a lot of kiwis rate him as the world's best and TBH, I wouldn't know who to name if you asked who the No.1 9 in the world is but Genia doesn't convince me.

Sitting here thinking about it, Genia is probably the only half-back in the Tier 1 nations who has a forward pack that has been struggling for parity in a lot of games so maybe I'm being tough on him??

Actually, one guy who I really like the look of is Augustine Pulu for the Chiefs/Counties Manakau. Even though his team got thrashed last night, he always looks dangerous.....TBK should be watching his back closely I reckon.

Edit: My vote for best half-back in the world would be Kahn Fotuali'i.....how could I forget?!?

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
If Mogg is a flop, then surely Folau goes to fullback? Kuridrani would then go to 13 and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) wing.

I don't think Cooper or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) are great 15s, albeit for different reasons.
If they moved Folau to the back then I'm certain that Kuridrani would jump onto the wing leaving AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) where he is.

Dean Hyde

Allen Oxlade (6)
Haha.I wondered how long it would be before someone bit at that one :)

That's just my opinion of him. At Super Rugby, he's the man and he's shown some flashes of brilliance at Test level but IMO, I don't think he's been consistent and when he's not hot, he's pretty average.

RWC 2011 he was average and the last Lions Test for example. I know a lot of kiwis rate him as the world's best and TBH, I wouldn't know who to name if you asked who the No.1 9 in the world is but Genia doesn't convince me.

Sitting here thinking about it, Genia is probably the only half-back in the Tier 1 nations who has a forward pack that has been struggling for parity in a lot of games so maybe I'm being tough on him??

Actually, one guy who I really like the look of is Augustine Pulu for the Chiefs/Counties Manakau. Even though his team got thrashed last night, he always looks dangerous...TBK should be watching his back closely I reckon.

Edit: My vote for best half-back in the world would be Kahn Fotuali'i...how could I forget?!?

He was brilliant in the first 2.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Genia is without doubt one of the Wallabies best players and one of our few players who is genuinely a World XV chance. For that reason we are heavily dependent on how he plays particulary as half back is such a crucial position.

If he doesn't have a strong game it is very difficult for us to beat top quality opposition.

Hopefully he has a blinder tomorrow night and helps us get home. Everything is possible for the Bledisloe and Rugby Championship if we win tomorrow night.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Actually, one guy who I really like the look of is Augustine Pulu for the Chiefs/Counties Manakau. Even though his team got thrashed last night, he always looks dangerous...TBK should be watching his back closely I reckon.

Edit: My vote for best half-back in the world would be Kahn Fotuali'i...how could I forget?!?

dr-evil-right.gif

Even Phipps has more of a claim at "worlds best half-back" than either of those two.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
dr-evil-right.gif

Even Phipps has more of a claim at "worlds best half-back" than either of those two.

1. I never said that Pulu is a contender for world's best. I simply said that I really like him.

2. How often do you watch the Manu play? Fotuali'i is better than Phipps AND White by a country mile and then some...

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
1. I never said that Pulu is a contender for world's best. I simply said that I really like him.

The way you were talking about him, you were implying that his consistency was better than Genia's.

2. How often do you watch the Manu play? Fotuali'i is better than Phipps AND White by a country mile and then some.

You mean the 9 games he's played for Samoa? Is that all we're judging a "worlds best player" on these days? I'm sure he's better than Phipps and White, but to say he's better than Genia is pretty ludicrous don't you think. Especially when you look back at some of the bigger games he's stepped up in and not just once or twice.

Am I saying Genia's flawless? No. Am I saying he's performing at 100% every game? God no. I doubt you'd find a player in this world that does. What I am saying is, Genia has on more than one occasion popped out at the right time to make that try saving tackle, or made that run that's turned into a try.

Willin1

Allen Oxlade (6)
I’m salivating already over this game and don’t believe the Wobblies will be the push over many seem to be predicting. With some exciting new players coming through their ranks and time for Genia to shake off his recent erratic form and regain his rightful “world’s best” rating, I’m hoping we get some nail biting, closely contested games.

After years of Deans’ sometimes controversial selections it will be interesting to see how Mackenzie’s selections and influence affects his team’s performance.

Without DC and Messam, and with McCaw being a bit rusty still, I wouldn’t be too surprised to see the Aussies ambush the ABs.

Roll on Saturday!!!!!

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
The way you were talking about him, you were implying that his consistency was better than Genia's.

You mean the 9 games he's played for Samoa? Is that all we're judging a "worlds best player" on these days? I'm sure he's better than Phipps and White, but to say he's better than Genia is pretty ludicrous don't you think. Especially when you look back at some of the bigger games he's stepped up in and not just once or twice.

Am I saying Genia's flawless? No. Am I saying he's performing at 100% every game? God no. I doubt you'd find a player in this world that does. What I am saying is, Genia has on more than one occasion popped out at the right time to make that try saving tackle, or made that run that's turned into a try.

Mate - I think you've just seen that I don't rate Genia as the world's best and read that into everything else I said.

I didn't say Pulu was more consistency or anything - I just watched him play in the Super Rugby Final and again last night and he's been impressive. He's also played very well for the Chiefs when he's had his chances. Heck, how could I rate him as the World No.1 when I said 'TBK should be watching his back' - he's not even No.1 in his own Super Rugby team yet?!

And yes, the best players in the world perform at 100% or pretty bloody close every Test they play - that's what makes them the best.

Very hard to think of many average/poor McCaw games despite him playing 100 Tests over 10 yrs or so. George Smith is the same, Larkham - you'd probably add O'Driscoll, Conrad Smith, Dan Carter....that's why these guys are considered the best in the world - because damn near every Test they play, they perform. 99.9% of the time you'd put money on these guys being better than their opposition.

IMO - and it is just my opinion - Genia isn't there yet.

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
I’m salivating already over this game and don’t believe the Wobblies will be the push over many seem to be predicting. With some exciting new players coming through their ranks and time for Genia to shake off his recent erratic form and regain his rightful “world’s best” rating, I’m hoping we get some nail biting, closely contested games.

After years of Deans’ sometimes controversial selections it will be interesting to see how Mackenzie’s selections and influence affects his team’s performance.

Without DC and Messam, and with McCaw being a bit rusty still, I wouldn’t be too surprised to see the Aussies ambush the ABs.

Roll on Saturday!!!!!

I'm not, prefer decisive AB victories just between you and me. 10 years? 10 more thanks.

I've had a shitter of a week, nothing like living vicariously through someone else's achievements to raise the spirits, and if the AB's lose then oh well, my week won't be any worse.

Yay, rugby.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Firstly, all Aussie rugby fans will be hoping that the good people of Wellington are not affected.

Secondly, do not worry, we will be able to play the 2nd Bled here in Australia.

Yes I hope they're ok.
No, I've bought my tickets to Wellington and to the test, they can just bloody well play.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Someone's got to put some sanity back into the widespread euphoria that seems to have caught everyone like a winter flu. The NZ team is very well coached and they have a history of identifying and using areas of weakness in the opposition. So here's a few I think they'll pick up on:
  1. Our props have been picked for their workrate around the field rather than their scrummaging. Our two best scrummaging props are on the bench. If it all goes to custard we could have a 0-12 scoreline and Sio and Kepu on after 20 minutes.
  2. On individual match-ups in the lineout only Mowen would have parity with his opponent. Luatua, Whitelock and Romano are likely to dominate, both offensively and defensively.
  3. We have no good ball runner in the tight, Mowen's probably the best. Against that NZ have Romano and Luatua, with Reid and McCaw wider.
  4. Madness does not have the engine or grunt that Fardy has and will not be continuously effective but will need small rest periods to recover. Why would you put Fardy on the bench rather than have Fardy to start with Madness to finish?
  5. We also have no big ball-runner from deep, which means either we will run it via the backs or kick for distance/touch.
  6. Our fullback when playing in Super rugby has worse results for missed tackles than 2011 Cooper. Our best attacking player is isolated on one wing.
  7. Lealiifano has been less than stellar at 12 this year, reliable yes but not a huge threat like he was last year from 10. Nonu won't be shaking in his boots.
  8. The referee, Craig Joubert, has a history of looking kindly on the NZ team when he thinks they are the dominant team.
Against that, the NZ team is over-confident (reading between the lines of Hanson's comments) and have lost some key players (so have we). The other thing we have is Link's ability to devise gameplans that will hide areas of weakness and attack NZ where they don't want to be attacked. We are underdogs but I am not writing us off.
I am hoping to see Folau and Mogg switch positions when on attack and that our forwards attack a little wider in their pods. I do not see weakness in the NZ pack close to the ruck.

Status
Not open for further replies.