• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

jauzy19

Ward Prentice (10)
952100photo2.png
Second row Gregory Peterson (Waratahs) joins Narbonne.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Fuck. We can write off these signings in isolated cases but we've now lost Kimlin, Pyle, Douglas, power, Peterson, Timani, and MMM to OS clubs in the last 12 months. All locks. Any I miss? Add in THPs Palmer, Owen and Longbottem and we are losing critical depth in critical positions. Sure not many wallabies but all super rugby and all NRC.

This is bloody worrying in my eyes.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Fuck. We can write off these signings in isolated cases but we've now lost Kimlin, Pyle, Douglas, power, Peterson, Timani, and MMM to OS clubs in the last 12 months. All locks. Any I miss? Add in THPs Palmer, Owen and Longbottem and we are losing critical depth in critical positions. Sure not many wallabies but all super rugby and all NRC.

This is bloody worrying in my eyes.

Not to mention Mumm and Chisholm only left 2 years ago. Most clubs would kill to get their hands on them atm. Tahs recruited a Saffer lock and so have the Force. Lock crisis!

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
Catastrophic even for us... the national team and clubs have different interests...
And until supporters are happy to see such signings the show must go on... a shame

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
There has been a lock crisis for a while. But to be fair, the only significant losses are Kimlin and Douglas because those are the only two who are Wallabies quality.

MMM is too frequently injured and Timani just doesn't deliver.

This is why I reckon the NRC is so vital. It would be worth cherry picking a few promising locks from overseas to be development players. Problem there though is that talented giants are too few and far between.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
We're fine at Wallabies level, we just blooded Carter, Jones and Skelton but Super Rugby depth is critically low.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
@BH even with all the cuts the ARU is still projected to make a loss, and the Tahs as with the Force and Rebels are dependant on cash from head office to survive and also are close to making a loss this year with their low crowd figures early on, if not already there.

As for the TV deal, the Rugby brand has been in actual decline for man years now. I think it is pie in the sky stuff to expect any significant increase in the TV deal, in real terms and that is what the ARU must get.

Time will tell, but with a significant decrease in revenue in a RWC year much of the Lions money will be burnt and there are no reserves.

Like Braveheart, I think this is unlikely to happen immediately after the World Cup. The Lions money will cover up till 2016, so if its going to break it'll probably be in 2017. Forecasting disaster three years out is tricky; so much can change in the interim. If the Tahs can top the table they will potentially have revenue from two massive home games to help the balance sheet this year. If, if, if. IMO its too hard to call an early demise yet.

jauzy19

Ward Prentice (10)
Levi Aumua (Reds U20), Fabian Natoli and Jotham Wrampling (Sydney Parramatta) both join french club Bordeaux-Bègles.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
There has been a lock crisis for a while. But to be fair, the only significant losses are Kimlin and Douglas because those are the only two who are Wallabies quality.

MMM is too frequently injured and Timani just doesn't deliver.

This is why I reckon the NRC is so vital. It would be worth cherry picking a few promising locks from overseas to be development players. Problem there though is that talented giants are too few and far between.

Sorry to pick your post out, its short, accurate, and highlights my concerns.

I hate posting negative stuff, but here goes as there is reality behind it:
  • They are leaving with the NRC about to start, how is the NRC helping us?
  • The NRC will be great, as it gives us more rugby, but guess what - player agents are already working the Shute, The Premier, and even the colts - they'll now work the NRC - possibly time fore a career change for me - become a player agent.
  • The NRC will simply advertise our talent even more - that simple, and as the NRC players aren't really getting paid how will they be kept, what incentive will there be?
As is pointed out to me frequently now, we are in a global economy, we have Telstra, Banks and the like employing people in Bangalore, Philipines etc - we have to assess and develop plans with the changing times.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Our lock marquee imports - Jackpot, Steenkamp, are there more?
Having them here is that good for us, or would it be better keeping the ones that have just left. I'd have like to keep the ones that have left.

T

Train Without a Station

The problem is, the teams would rather these imports because no local players have shown the skill or consistency.

The NRC will help solves this problem. (I know this line gets a bite out of you Dave).

In all fairness it will. More players will get exposed to a higher level of competition and therefore it will develop a greater quantity of talent.

We will still lose players. We always will. But at least this will help replace them.

At the end of the day there are only so many international teams out there. By my count there is 48 (14 in France, 12 in Scotland, Ireland and Europe, 12 in England and 10 in Japan) whilst the French D2 also takes some players. So let's say 60 total. Please tell me if I'm wrong though.

The point is, there's always (at least in recent history) been this many teams. There's only so many spots. There's also talent from the 6 Nations, Japan, other smaller European nations, Argentina, South Africa and New Zealand. Then there's Fiji, Samoa and Tonga. It's not like they are going to start gobbling up players quicker than we can produce them. The talent flow should remain pretty steady.

We aren't losing front line players. But we are losing valuable Super Rugby players, which should be able to be developed in a good system.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Can someone please translate this for me please
DB, copy it and paste it into "Google Translate", in the left hand side of that screen. It should recognise it as French but if not select French in the top option. Then select English in right hand side top option and you will get a rough version of the story translated in English.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
The NRC will help solves this problem. (I know this line gets a bite out of you Dave).

??? you lost me, I think the NRC will be great for Aust rugby and am really looking forward to it. I think we agree on most subjects, it is the construction were we differ for our own biased reasons.

You are right about number of spots available, but French 2nd Tier also has it's hands on our soil. Lyon wasn't top tier until Tim Lane took them there (yeah loosing coaches as well).

Then you look at the size of their squads 44 in this one;

http://www.suntory.com/culture-sports/sungoliath/squad/

The problem is, the teams would rather these imports because no local players have shown the skill or consistency.
All you social golfers will understand this example.
If you go out and play with a real hacker - your game may drop back.
If you go out and play with someone in single digits - you game may lift.
You get skill and consistency by playing so I'd like to see them play.