• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Folau calls for sabbaticals. http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...to-add-sabbaticals-option-20140616-zs9le.html

Honestly, Izzy, as much as I want you in the team for as long as you're dominant, you're not ready to be claiming a sabbatical. Play 50 tests first and then get your rewards.
Where did it say he was claiming a sabbatical? He clearly says:
"My view on it is that I think it would be nice."
"If you want to keep players in the game and playing in Australia it would be nice to have that option.
"That's up to the ARU to come up with that but, at this stage, it's not [an option] and we have to go with what we have."

He's no doubt been asked about sabbaticals and the like by Georgina in light of the surge of player signings. Is he not allowed to have an opinion on the issue? Whatever his comments, it certainly doesn't sound like he's trying to force the ARU's hand to bring in sabbaticals.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Sorry to pick your post out, its short, accurate, and highlights my concerns.

I hate posting negative stuff, but here goes as there is reality behind it:
  • They are leaving with the NRC about to start, how is the NRC helping us?
  • The NRC will be great, as it gives us more rugby, but guess what - player agents are already working the Shute, The Premier, and even the colts - they'll now work the NRC - possibly time fore a career change for me - become a player agent.
  • The NRC will simply advertise our talent even more - that simple, and as the NRC players aren't really getting paid how will they be kept, what incentive will there be?
As is pointed out to me frequently now, we are in a global economy, we have Telstra, Banks and the like employing people in Bangalore, Philipines etc - we have to assess and develop plans with the changing times.

Nah thats alright. Maybe I wasn't clear enough.

The NRC won't stop the drain. What I hope it will do is help our young locks get from U20 or club level up to Super Rugby level and then possibly onto Wallaby level. Therefore increasing the flow at the top end to reduce the impact of the drain.

I know Scott Fardy doesn't grow on trees, but he is a good example of a guy that has made the meteoric rise from club to Wallabies level in just 2 years. How many other Scott Fardy's are out there? The Force have Adam Coleman- who I am a huge fan of- and he could potentially be a Wallaby in the future but he wouldn't have had much game time at all if MMM hadn't been injured for most of the season. If that hadn't have happened, would he have signed on for another few years for us or headed to France himself (there were offers)? A lot of backs have the ability to go almost straight from U20s to Super Rugby teams, but the tight five forwards mostly mature later and need something like the NRC to give them that extra leg up.

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but just read Manly colt Fabian Natoli got a full top 14 contract in France. Awesome news for the young lad, definitely a good young player.

Not having a crack at all but does anyone know how he got the contract? Does he have a good manager? I'm simply curious as to how a player who is mainly playing colts/2nd grade (a little off the bench for ones) and who missed out on Australian 20s selection gets such a good deal? Not hating just curious as to how someone in his current position gets such an awesome opportunity.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but just read Manly colt Fabian Natoli got a full top 14 contract in France. Awesome news for the young lad, definitely a good young player.

Not having a crack at all but does anyone know how he got the contract? Does he have a good manager? I'm simply curious as to how a player who is mainly playing colts/2nd grade (a little off the bench for ones) and who missed out on Australian 20s selection gets such a good deal? Not hating just curious as to how someone in his current position gets such an awesome opportunity.
Another loss at grass roots, a good question, he spent some good time in firsts last year as well though.

jauzy19

Ward Prentice (10)
852481photo21.png
4 young players join french club Narbonne : James McClymont, Niua Finau Puaka, Jonathan Talioe Sila and Gerard McCallum. Some of them come from XIII.

jauzy19

Ward Prentice (10)
Number 8 Keliti Vaingalo (Eastern Suburbs) joins french club Montauban newly promoted in Pro D2.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Fuck. We can write off these signings in isolated cases but we've now lost Kimlin, Pyle, Douglas, power, Peterson, Timani, and MMM to OS clubs in the last 12 months. All locks. Any I miss? Add in THPs Palmer, Owen and Longbottem and we are losing critical depth in critical positions. Sure not many wallabies but all super rugby and all NRC.

This is bloody worrying in my eyes.
Not wanting to make it worse
Another lock missed Phoenix Battye of the western force is also heading off.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I reckon the move north is a good one for guys like Battye and Peterson. They seem a bit stagnant. Do two years over there and then take another crack at Super Rugby with a view to the 2019 World Cup. They'll be about 28 by then. In their prime.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
C
I reckon the move north is a good one for guys like Battye and Peterson. They seem a bit stagnant. Do two years over there and then take another crack at Super Rugby with a view to the 2019 World Cup. They'll be about 28 by then. In their prime.
can understand that thought but we have lost too many IMO.
I don't like the idea of replacing them with Marquee players because that isn't developing our own, and we possibly loose more, that's just my thought though

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)

He is joining Bordeaux Begles academy...
Same for Levi Aumua (GPS) and Jotham Wrampling (Parramatta)
http://www.sudouest.fr/2014/06/16/u...-espoirs-etrangers-s-engagent-1586935-773.php

Top 14 is becoming worse than soccer... it is a shame

T

Train Without a Station

Stronger support. Better viewers and attendance.

There's more money in the teams.

But as far as I'm aware there isn't more money from the French central union, or more (or even the same) scope for income opportunities beyond the playing contracts.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Where did it say he was claiming a sabbatical? He clearly says:
"My view on it is that I think it would be nice."
"If you want to keep players in the game and playing in Australia it would be nice to have that option.
"That's up to the ARU to come up with that but, at this stage, it's not [an option] and we have to go with what we have."

He's no doubt been asked about sabbaticals and the like by Georgina in light of the surge of player signings. Is he not allowed to have an opinion on the issue? Whatever his comments, it certainly doesn't sound like he's trying to force the ARU's hand to bring in sabbaticals.

I reposted the article and the headline because it's relevant to the thread ("Israel Folau pushes for Australian Rugby Union to add sabbaticals option").

Just out of interest, what are your thoughts on a player in his second year of the sport even having an opinion on sabbaticals?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I reposted the article and the headline because it's relevant to the thread ("Israel Folau pushes for Australian Rugby Union to add sabbaticals option").

Just out of interest, what are your thoughts on a player in his second year of the sport even having an opinion on sabbaticals?

Bairdy's point was that Folau answered the questions he was asked and the sub editor gave the article a headline that didn't really reflect what Folau had said.

Of course Folau needs to have an opinion on this like he does on every other issue in the game. He is the probably the highest profile rugby player in Australia and will receive more media attention than anyone else. He can't just say, it's only my second year, I've got no idea.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Bairdy's point was that Folau answered the questions he was asked and the sub editor gave the article a headline that didn't really reflect what Folau had said.

Of course Folau needs to have an opinion on this like he does on every other issue in the game. He is the probably the highest profile rugby player in Australia and will receive more media attention than anyone else. He can't just say, it's only my second year, I've got no idea.

Call me naive but the only opinion I want to hear from Izzy is: 'I love playing for the Wallabies, but to be honest Sydney is getting me down and I'm finding myself craving the cold June nights in Melbourne. On that note I'd like to announce my new five year deal with the Rebels.'

Or something like that. But I digress....

Bairdy's correct- the headline was clickbait and didn't reflect the tone of the conversation.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
I'll take that on as a bet.

EatSleepDrinkRuck

Larry Dwyer (12)

I think Izzy would have a really valuable perspective on the work/rest ratio in Rugby Union considering he's got the benefit of having played at the top level in Australia for two other sports.

For example, AFL would have flogged him with cardio but no international games (no real ones) and limited travel would support that there is less need for sabbaticals than RU.

Similarly, NRL is physically demanding but there is a substantial off-season, limited international touring and only moderate travel demands.

So yeah, I think Izzy's response to a question, being an in-principle approval of sabbaticals is entirely appropriate.

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
Sud,

If you see or hear anything about Ted Postal could you please report? He was a very talented junior player, and I'm not sure why he doesn't have a super contract.

From what I have read he is now playing for Narbonne in French second division.
But strange story about him showing the stupidity of French media... They say Narbonne has hired a flanker named Ted Postal and a hooker named Terterani Erasito. In fact it is the same guy...

You can find statistics about him under the name Terterani Erasito but he prefers using his mother name Postal.