• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Contrary to what I thought, it seems the first ‘post-COVID’ MLR has proceeded quite smoothly.

With travel restrictions easing and vaccines being distributed do we think the MLR could cause a larger player drain than say they Japanese comp?

English speaking country, easy standard of competition, new franchises on the horizon and 6 month contracts for decent sums of cash make it a fairly enticing option.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Contrary to what I thought, it seems the first ‘post-COVID’ MLR has proceeded quite smoothly.

With travel restrictions easing and vaccines being distributed do we think the MLR could cause a larger player drain than say they Japanese comp?

English speaking country, easy standard of competition, new franchises on the horizon and 6 month contracts for decent sums of cash make it a fairly enticing option.
Unlikely it’s salary capped at 500k.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Unlikely it’s salary capped at 500k.

Really? How did the Giltinis get their whole roster for $500k. I would imagine for example JP Smith would have been paid $75k, and Gits and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) wouldn’t roll out of bed for less than $50k each. That’s nearly half the cap.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Really? How did the Giltinis get their whole roster for $500k. I would imagine for example JP Smith would have been paid $75k, and Gits and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) wouldn’t roll out of bed for less than $50k each. That’s nearly half the cap.
Guys like Gits and ACC probably won’t be on a massive deal. It’s a short season chance for them to play together again and they have already made millions out of the game. Also guys with big names probably get paid for promoting the league

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Guys like Gits and ACC probably won’t be on a massive deal. It’s a short season chance for them to play together again and they have already made millions out of the game. Also guys with big names probably get paid for promoting the league

Do you have to include indirect stuff under the salary cap like putting them up in accommodation?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
The worry from MLR right now is not that they'll take big name established players, but that they'll grab the ~20 year old fringe guys and possibly put them on a path to US representation, in the same way Japan has for guys like Ben Gunter, Jack Cornelsen and Dylan Riley. Getting the NRC (or a reasonable equivalent) back up again would go a long way to counter this

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
The worry from MLR right now is not that they'll take big name established players, but that they'll grab the ~20 year old fringe guys and possibly put them on a path to US representation, in the same way Japan has for guys like Ben Gunter, Jack Cornelsen and Dylan Riley. Getting the NRC (or a reasonable equivalent) back up again would go a long way to counter this

It's been a while since I've looked at US citizenship/visa stuff, but I don't know whether their laws would be too tough for blokes to get on a path to US representation, when compared to Japan. Considering majority of the players are signed to short term deals, I'm not sure how that works with the time spent in country etc.

Regardless though your point is correct. It's the fringe blokes who are being targeted currently and I imagine with the success of some more Aussies this year, they'll be in the ear of their mates in similar positions to come over for a run.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
It's been a while since I've looked at US citizenship/visa stuff, but I don't know whether their laws would be too tough for blokes to get on a path to US representation, when compared to Japan. Considering majority of the players are signed to short term deals, I'm not sure how that works with the time spent in country etc.

Regardless though your point is correct. It's the fringe blokes who are being targeted currently and I imagine with the success of some more Aussies this year, they'll be in the ear of their mates in similar positions to come over for a run.

I'm not super up to date on it either, particularly in a professional sporting context, but doesn't the E3 visa mean it's going to be easier for an Australian coming in then most other nationalities?

That's what really has me worried, that after a few years ad hoc the pipeline becomes established and it's much harder to reverse the player drain.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'm not super up to date on it either, particularly in a professional sporting context, but doesn't the E3 visa mean it's going to be easier for an Australian coming in then most other nationalities?

That's what really has me worried, that after a few years ad hoc the pipeline becomes established and it's much harder to reverse the player drain.

It may only be a short term drain though, there are other factors at play as to how long the impact could be on Australian players:

- Do we know about the financial viability of the competition? What is the viewership like and how much money are they going to stump up to take the competition to the next level.

- If the competition does thrive, it may reach a point of exposure where more American born athletes are playing rugby. This would be a fair way down the road though, but considering their population size, the need for fringe Super Rugby players in a squad may not exist anymore.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Do you have to include indirect stuff under the salary cap like putting them up in accommodation?
I am not sure. For the players who have retired it would be a great comp to play in. The salary cap there is only going to grow and they will start getting blokes in their prime

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Not surprising, his role was becoming less crucial in 2022 with Grealy and Henry coming into the Reds team and Stewart an adequate flyhalf cover. He’s also 29, no Wallaby selection on the horizon, so it’s not like losing a young development player.

Up to a point that is right PH, but losing these type players who probably aren't going to make Wallabies is still what is draining the depth of teams. I say the same in NZ, when ex ABs or just players who are never going to be one go, it is a loss of depth that hurts.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Will Skelton has re-signed with La Rochelle for another four years. Take him to 33 years old. Doubt he'll ever play for Australia again then.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Tevita Kuridrani to link up with old team mate Henry Speight at Biarritz next season. Biarritz has just been promoted to the top 14 and have about 3 weeks to desperately recruit players so they don't get pummelled every game.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Delusional to suggest locks in australia would be as positive addition to the squad as Skelton. come Rugby championship they must pick skelton. Crazy to leave him out of the WC if he is technically available (which he is)

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Tevita Kuridrani to link up with old team mate Henry Speight at Biarritz next season. Biarritz has just been promoted to the top 14 and have about 3 weeks to desperately recruit players so they don't get pummelled every game.

How does that work in terms of money available? Does promotion to the top 14 come with a bonus to sign more players? Or do the owners now just decide to dip into their pockets so they can have a decent crack at that level of competition.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Will Skelton has re-signed with La Rochelle for another four years. Take him to 33 years old. Doubt he'll ever play for Australia again then.

Interesting, read O'Gara tore shreds off him over the condition he arrived in when he joined. He had gained a lot of weight in between Saracens and joining. To sign a 4 year deal is a huge commitment these days.