• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
How does that work in terms of money available? Does promotion to the top 14 come with a bonus to sign more players? Or do the owners now just decide to dip into their pockets so they can have a decent crack at that level of competition.

Presumably they get a share of a substantially larger broadcasting deal.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
How does that work in terms of money available? Does promotion to the top 14 come with a bonus to sign more players? Or do the owners now just decide to dip into their pockets so they can have a decent crack at that level of competition.

Very interesting situation which I'll answer with a lot of extra info:
The LNR ( a separate body from the French Rugby Union who run the Pro D2 and Top 14) signed an obscene deal with Canal+ and said that 2/3 of it goes to the Top 14 and 1/3 goes to the Pro D2. So the money in Pro D2 is still pretty good and probably better than Super Rugby. But yes, Biarritz will get more funding from their promotion.

Then also, Biarritz were threatening to move their club from Biarritz to Lille (which is literally the polar opposite of Biarritz) because the local government wasn't supporting the club. Now the local government have egg on their face because Biarritz have been promoted in very dramatic fashion and will have to now shell out much more for the rugby team. So again more money. Their promotion was intense because they relegated Bayonne, who are their neighbours in the basque region. Like, it's essentially the same town and are separated by about 3km yet they despise each other. Their relegation battle was tied 6-6 30 minutes into Extra Time so it was decided on a penalty shoot out with Steffon Armitage kicking over the deciding penalty. Intense stuff.

But yeah, long story short: they get more money but also their investors will have to stump up more.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Their relegation battle was tied 6-6 30 minutes into Extra Time so it was decided on a penalty shoot out with Steffon Armitage kicking over the deciding penalty. Intense stuff.

But yeah, long story short: they get more money but also their investors will have to stump up more.

Thanks mate - all makes sense and an interesting read.

Regarding that playoff game - sounds intense, but 6-6 after 110mins of play! Sounds like they both belong in Pro D2!

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Interesting, read O'Gara tore shreds off him over the condition he arrived in when he joined. He had gained a lot of weight in between Saracens and joining. To sign a 4 year deal is a huge commitment these days.

Probably huge money. Impossible for Skelton to turn down a) the cash and b) the security of a long contract.

He probably had an offer from Austalia and look to return overseas in 2024, but La Rochelle clearly eager to lock him up.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Probably huge money. Impossible for Skelton to turn down a) the cash and b) the security of a long contract.

He probably had an offer from Austalia and look to return overseas in 2024, but La Rochelle clearly eager to lock him up.

He'll prob go to japan at that age, he still can be picked at anytime remember

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
He'll prob go to japan at that age, he still can be picked at anytime remember

I think the argument for picking him is now undeniable. He has an effect on the game that no other OS player has.

He almost single handedly destroyed Racing 92 last weekend. French international & Racing player Antonie Claassen said after the game that Skelton stopped every attacking threat whenever Racing got close to the line.

Racing 92's coach said, "He's an extraordinary player, on his own he's capable of destroying every opposition carry. He takes pleasure in destruction". Their starting 9, Machenaud, saw the positive side, "thank god there isn't two Skeltons in the top 14".

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Richie and Rory Arnold have both managed to shake off injuries to be the starting locks together in Stade Toulouse's grand final against Skelton's La Rochelle. So, a good Aussie match up there. Toulouse have won the past three encounters but me thinks their injury toll and long season will have finally caught up to them. Expect to see Skelton raising a trophy tomorrow morning.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think the argument for picking him is now undeniable. He has an effect on the game that no other OS player has.

He almost single handedly destroyed Racing 92 last weekend. French international & Racing player Antonie Claassen said after the game that Skelton stopped every attacking threat whenever Racing got close to the line.

Racing 92's coach said, "He's an extraordinary player, on his own he's capable of destroying every opposition carry. He takes pleasure in destruction". Their starting 9, Machenaud, saw the positive side, "thank god there isn't two Skeltons in the top 14".

This fills me with sadness.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I say bring a couple of them in for the spring tour as part of the touring squad, and make a call from there.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Interesting, read O'Gara tore shreds off him over the condition he arrived in when he joined. He had gained a lot of weight in between Saracens and joining. To sign a 4 year deal is a huge commitment these days.

I have only seen highlights of his game , they didn't include him winning any lineout ball, but that was just because they showed other highlights. What was his lineout work like? He looks to be carrying a lot of weight, so wondered how he went in that area , which would make a difference to him getting in Wallabies I guessing. He obviously going bloody well to sign a 4 year deal regardless.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I have only seen highlights of his game , they didn't include him winning any lineout ball, but that was just because they showed other highlights. What was his lineout work like? He looks to be carrying a lot of weight, so wondered how he went in that area , which would make a difference to him getting in Wallabies I guessing. He obviously going bloody well to sign a 4 year deal regardless.

He's a very popular guy right now. They might have just done the 4 (against best advice) to secure him over a rival club or australia. A guy of that age and size would massively value long term security

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I watching Breakdown at moment, and Skope Kefu on it. He playing for Counties-Manakau in Bunnings cup. I will add he speaks well, and sounds like he wanting to play for MP (Moana Pasifika).

Hogie

Herbert Moran (7)

Interesting tweet from Michael Lynagh confirming that RA have in fact enquired about his son Louis representing Australia following his Prem Finals heroics

Hogie

Herbert Moran (7)
Interesting tweet from Michael Lynagh confirming that RA have in fact enquired about his son Louis representing Australia following his Prem Finals heroics...seems to however be a call out to the RFU...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210628-211110_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20210628-211110_Twitter.jpg
    365.5 KB · Views: 147

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Interesting tweet from Michael Lynagh confirming that RA have in fact enquired about his son Louis representing Australia following his Prem Finals heroics.seems to however be a call out to the RFU.
Maybe Eddie Jones is playing the long con & wants him to sign for Australia.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
is he predominantly a winger? Could he be a fullback option?

Meanwhile Caleb Timu has retired. I was hoping he might come home and be someone's bullocking no 8