• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
To what extent you allow these deals creates an interesting discussion re salary cap breaches etc. I would think if these MLR players/coaches were simply being gifted gyms worth $250k it would be an unfair contract advantage. If they, however, were investing their own money and being given assistance or discounts on equipment, it probably falls on the ‘safe’ side of that grey area.

Same thing happens overseas in different sports in what they call ‘big market’ franchises, there are just better business opportunities in those markets which in turn attracts the better players who want to make money outside their contracted salaries.

Oh, it was contentious among MLR fans. But they aren't the only club that gets creative. Before LA many bemoaned San Diego and its ability to draw talent off a small cap. The cap covers direct payments and can be boosted by $250k from $500k to $750k a season based on if they achieve their development goals which each club met last season.

There's probably a deal of truth in what you're suggesting and I don't think every player would be on these kind of arrangements.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Could be a business deal separate (on paper) to DTH's contract. Gits & Coops prob had an option for the same deal. At the end of the day he decides how much a franchise is worth. I think Meaksy & Cottrell are getting deals in the off season to work for Gilly's beer.

Its something Nick Politis does over at the roosters, helps guys with their investments outside of their footy wage. But that is pretty interesting info DTH

Gilchrist is pouring a fair bit into the game in both LA and Austin. Paid for a docu-series on Fox Sports based around his Austin franchise and seems to have linked up with WR (World Rugby) to run a kind of 'school of hard knocks' concept for crossovers on the WR (World Rugby) YouTube channel. Among a bunch of other grassroots stuff.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
It costs roughly $250k to set up a gym. That includes the franchise fee. Equipment and working capital requirements. They apparently need 65 members to break even. This was from a break down I found from 2019. So, yeah. worth more than most Super Rugby contracts.

i had a mate establish one in Australia, cost a fair bit more then then to establish but he was able to sell an established gym for triple the value later on.

I can’t see MLR teams gifting F45 gyms, F45 as a company is publicly listed and trades on the NYSE. It isn’t a private company someone could just gift franchises from. Someone would be paying F45 the franchisee fee unless F45 are willing to write it off as sponsorship.

Maybe if F45 are sponsor of the team they might offer a discount on franchise costs for players.

Last edited:

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Does Blake Ferguson qualify as an Australian player? Not any more, apparently, his rugby career looks as though it is over before it really began.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
i had a mate establish one in Australia, cost a fair bit more then then to establish but he was able to sell an established gym for triple the value later on.

I can’t see MLR teams gifting F45 gyms, F45 as a company is publicly listed and trades on the NYSE. It isn’t a private company someone could just gift franchises from. Someone would be paying F45 the franchisee fee unless F45 are willing to write it off as sponsorship.

Maybe if F45 are sponsor of the team they might offer a discount on franchise costs for players.

It listed on July 15 2020. Most of these guys signed in late 2019. Not saying they were expressly gifted them. More so they probably had the process of being awarded them made easier. I should also note that the LA Giltinis head office and facility happens to be the old F45 HQ in LA.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Speaking of f45 sponsorship a little badge of the rebels new training gear

Attachments

• C51F038C-7128-4985-AD86-E6D55A17D5EF.png
    C51F038C-7128-4985-AD86-E6D55A17D5EF.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 140

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Again not exactly a ‘Aussie player’ but fair bit of crossover.

Ferguson’s cocaine incident in Japan continues to blow up with reports the NEC Green Rockets may even fold over the saga. This might make Japanese clubs place greater scrutiny on recruiting foreigners.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Again not exactly a ‘Aussie player’ but fair bit of crossover.

Ferguson’s cocaine incident in Japan continues to blow up with reports the NEC Green Rockets may even fold over the saga. This might make Japanese clubs place greater scrutiny on recruiting foreigners.

Fold out of 'embarrassment'? That's the most Japanese thing ever.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Also need to understand that these teams are run for enjoyment and entertainment by corporations, in a much different way to how we see our teams formed. Shutting a team down because it no longer fulfils that purpose, or is perceived to be disgracing the overall brand, is something they would be more than willing to do.

Sounds like Cheika might get the chop before that happens though, for signing him.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Also need to understand that these teams are run for enjoyment and entertainment by corporations, in a much different way to how we see our teams formed. Shutting a team down because it no longer fulfils that purpose, or is perceived to be disgracing the overall brand, is something they would be more than willing to do.

Sounds like Cheika might get the chop before that happens though, for signing him.
I thought they were moving away from the corporate playtoy model

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I thought they were moving away from the corporate playtoy model
Yes I believe that was the idea behind this revamped competition, evolve the game in Japan into a more genuine product.

But this indiscretion has occurred before that new comp even began.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Shame - Advanced talks to get him back in australia but contracting put on hold with the flicking of johnson and the restructure etc.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
See a few players already having to be shed with new salary caps up north, only good news down here I think!
Know this is former AB, but still bodes well for Aus etc too I think!

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I saw over the weekend that another Australian based player management agency has got themselves a dedicated MLR base of operations now.

Convenient timing with MLR due to start this weekend and club rugby pre-season very much in full swing here. With travel restrictions basically gone, it will be interesting to see how many club rugby players get a tap on the shoulder to fly over for injury cover etc. I know a few did early into the season last year.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
I was thinking, the interesting thing is that with the new legislation, Hansen/Tuipulotu could always end up chasing a Wallaby jersey later in their career if they felt it was something that they wanted to fulfill. They could stand down from Test footy and still earn the money in Europe, or if they dropped out of the selection mix. Likewise Dolly, Sam Johnson etc.

Found this very interesting from Tawera Kerr-Barlow:

Kerr-Barlow would be willing to move with the times and switch allegiance. He likes how international rugby has recently opened up its eligibility rules which now allow players capped by one country to play for another. “It is a really positive thing. You get players who play a handful of Tests for a country and that is their eligibility shot and they have still got a lot to offer world rugby.

“We all want world rugby to be strong, we want it to be a spectacle and some of the best players in the world, they move overseas and they grow and they improve. You have got the likes of Charles Piutau in England, Steven Luatua is there, you have got Victor Vito in France, you have got all these guys who could add so much to their country.

“Even myself, I’d love to chuck on the Australian jersey as I spent the first part of life in Australia, my family is still there and I’m very grateful for what they have done for my family. My mum played for Australia. It [opening up eligibility] is a positive thing. You will get people saying, ‘Oh you know you’re not loyal’ or ‘How can you play for one country and play for another?’

“But if you are born in a country or your parents are born there and you feel a certain way about the country and you have got roots already established, then why not? I am a pretty open individual in terms of those sorts of things and I just want rugby to be the big thing I know it can be because if you love rugby you want it to improve.”