• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Apparently Jack Dempsey is the next European player born and raised in Straya. He looks happy in Scotland and he's Scottith heritage so it's just waiting a while to watch him playing with the navy blue jersey:

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Apologies if this has been mentioned in another thread - FoxSports reporting the 'Giteau Rule' to be re-named and reviewed this week.

Changes likely to be halving the eligibility requirements of tests played in order to be selected, but also limiting the number of players available for selection in a 23 to three (3) overseas based players.

If the Wallabies were playing a game tomorrow under this rule I think the three players would be as simple as:

- Quade
- Kerevi (just makes the cut at 36 tests)
- Koro

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Article is here for those who are interested:

Worth noting that aside from those mentioned above, halving the number of caps (and the years of super I assume) would make Adam Coleman eligible but not Rory Arnold or Will Skelton. McMahon, Latu and BPA are also not covered by this potential change.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Still think it should be based on years in Super Rugby
Yeah I prefer this as a measure, though I'd still want a minimum amount of caps (even if it's 1). I don't think we should ever be capping players for the first time when they're not playing in Australia.

Potentially a points based system where you can mix and match super and test caps to get there is the best balance, but given the way conference based super rugby was treated people would probably complain about it being too confusing.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
The poaching implications will be interesting. It probably makes the 30+ cappers less appealing for the Japanese teams as they'll need to be released for the international windows.

But I imagine the flip side will be the freshly blooded Wallabies getting hunted more aggressively, guys like Leota will command more from RA (assuming he keeps going on his trajectory) to keep them onshore. Could also mean we see a bit more loyalty in terms of selections, getting them over that 30 cap marker quickly which is really only three seasons these days.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Apologies if this has been mentioned in another thread - FoxSports reporting the 'Giteau Rule' to be re-named and reviewed this week.

Changes likely to be halving the eligibility requirements of tests played in order to be selected, but also limiting the number of players available for selection in a 23 to three (3) overseas based players.

If the Wallabies were playing a game tomorrow under this rule I think the three players would be as simple as:

- Quade
- Kerevi (just makes the cut at 36 tests)
- Koro

I think it'll end up being Halved PLUS picking 3 that do not meet that.

So you can have your Quade, Kerevi & Koroibete (all over 35tests) PLUS have Arnold, Skelton and Latu --- boom bam pow. Leave it there.

Hogie

Herbert Moran (7)
What are the thoughts on what the WRU eligibility requirement where an uncapped player playing outside of Wales can receive a call up but when it comes to renewing their contract they are required to move to a Welsh team in order to continue to be selected? Other than Louis Lynagh there are no other players that immediately stick out for consideration at the moment but over next few years players such as Amotosero at Clermont and Meafou at Toulouse could come into contention, perhaps even Hockings and Lucas in Japan...

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
What are the thoughts on what the WRU eligibility requirement where an uncapped player playing outside of Wales can receive a call up but when it comes to renewing their contract they are required to move to a Welsh team in order to continue to be selected? Other than Louis Lynagh there are no other players that immediately stick out for consideration at the moment but over next few years players such as Amotosero at Clermont and Meafou at Toulouse could come into contention, perhaps even Hockings and Lucas in Japan...
There are probably a few Kiwi's with an Australian grandparent

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Leroy Houston? Oh, wait….