• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
It makes sense to me. There are not many Japanese of that height
So the average male height in rugby playing nations
Australia 178.77
France 178.60
UK/Ireland 178.21
NZ 177.72
Tonga 175.05
Argentina 174.75
Italy 174.42
Samoa 174.42
Fiji 173.98
Japan 172.06
South Africa 169.63

You can’t blame it on average height

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
The Pacific Islanders are mad for rugby. The real challenger for that community is NRL, is a quite similar sport. Probably is more similar to Rugby 7s than Rugby XV and 7s is the king in Fiji.

Most of Pacific Islanders would pick rugby over League but unfortunately, there are more opportunities in League. More clubs, more money, more adverts on TV. If you live in Western Sydney there are more League clubs to join it, I have not idea in Victoria. Probably Aussie Rules is not a sport violent enought to attract the attention of Pacific Islanders
The are too big to play in the AFL for most of them there is no way they would ever get fit enough to play at a professional level

Point remains I would rather us in Melbourne try and grow off the back of local talent then buy All Blacks

Marce

John Thornett (49)
The are too big to play in the AFL for most of them there is no way they would ever get fit enough to play at a professional level

Point remains I would rather us in Melbourne try and grow off the back of local talent then buy All Blacks
I heard that AFL players run 15 kilometers per day in preseason. I have not idea TBH, I don't even know the rules. Is it legal to tackle like rugby?

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I heard that AFL players run 15 kilometers per day in preseason. I have not idea TBH, I don't even know the rules. Is it legal to tackle like rugby?
Yep, the AFL is completely athletic ability these days. There is no big full forwards etc like the old days.

Even local AFL clubs had juniors back at pre-season training late last year, a lot of local cricket clubs are struggling because juniors now can't play both with training commitments.

So the Vic league teams have a interesting spread, they are all in the right areas. None in the inner east where most of the Union clubs are located. I live in the Inner west and to play senior rugby would travel 30 mins to play. If I choose league I would have 4 clubs to choose from in the same travel time.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
As long as it’s above the knees and below the shoulders and not in the back

Many years ago I played Aussie Rules and I have also played rugby. I was always unfit as a footy player out the back on all the runs played rugby and was right up there as one of the fittest

The step up in physical endurance to play Aussie Rules is massive and the benefits you get from explosive power aren’t as great as in rugby

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yep, the AFL is completely athletic ability these days. There is no big full forwards etc like the old days.

Even local AFL clubs had juniors back at pre-season training late last year, a lot of local cricket clubs are struggling because juniors now can't play both with training commitments.

So the Vic league teams have a interesting spread, they are all in the right areas. None in the inner east where most of the Union clubs are located. I live in the Inner west and to play senior rugby would travel 30 mins to play. If I choose league I would have 4 clubs to choose from in the same travel time.
Mate I hate that about footy it’s not necessary. When I played juniors close on 20 years ago you started a month out from the season. You kept fit playing cricket or basketball

Never claimed people don’t play League here. It’s just not a strong participation sport in Victoria. Yes there are areas where you’re closer to league but the same applies for union. Where I live in Melbourne if you want to play rugby you play union

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I've always maintained we should be holding talent combines in Victoria every few years - there have to be a few ruckmen running around VFL level or so who are a bit too big and cumbersome to make it in the AFL but could make excellent locks. Makes for a good opportunity for players in the Melbourne club scene who have the athletic attributes to succeed but just need exposure at a higher level to be noticed too. The women's game is also at a great point to be bringing in talented athletes and mold them into rugby players.

That said it's not really worthwhile until there's an NRC equivalent to bring the players on in.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I love that in the Fox article about the player departures and retaining Tupou, they decided to get some comments around playing for the Wallabies and what it means from none other than... Ben Donaldson? A Wallabies shoe-in if I ever saw one!

He's surely exactly the sort of player that should be asked about whether a Lions Tour in 2025 and a home RWC in 2027 are factors that keep young players from signing overseas.

He's very likely to soon be in the segment of players who could earn significantly more overseas but is a long way off being a regular Wallaby (on a top up contract and paid a substantial amount). The desire to play for the Wallabies and be part of these big events is what we're relying on to keep them at home.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Ughh, I was really hoping for one of the more off kilter Tahs supporters to take a bite at my post.

Thanks for ruining my gee up BH.

Donaldson definitely fits the mould of a player who, if progressing correctly, will pop up in the conversation of Wallaby players over the next 5 years.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I've always maintained we should be holding talent combines in Victoria every few years - there have to be a few ruckmen running around VFL level or so who are a bit too big and cumbersome to make it in the AFL but could make excellent locks. Makes for a good opportunity for players in the Melbourne club scene who have the athletic attributes to succeed but just need exposure at a higher level to be noticed too. The women's game is also at a great point to be bringing in talented athletes and mold them into rugby players.

That said it's not really worthwhile until there's an NRC equivalent to bring the players on in.
Agreed, you get players quit rugby for footy fail to get drafted then there is no pathway for them one the TAC cup is done with them

Their options become take a small amount of money and play VFL, try and go back to club rugby for no money and push for higher honours that way or give up on pro sport get a good job and good money to play suburban football. I know what I would pick

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I can’t help but think about the impact of our lock depth challenged adding to the challenge of how Oz super rugby sides compete with kiwi sides in super rugby pacific. To me best way to do that is increase overall quality of competition and teams by more franchise model where players can more openly play for any super rugby side and still represent their national team.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I can’t help but think about the impact of our lock depth challenged adding to the challenge of how Oz super rugby sides compete with kiwi sides in super rugby pacific. To me best way to do that is increase overall quality of competition and teams by more franchise model where players can more openly play for any super rugby side and still represent their national team.
No, then we will see half of our squads filled with kiwis.

Can’t see the kiwi sides picking too many Aussies abs then we have less players to pick from

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
No, then we will see half of our squads filled with kiwis.

Can’t see the kiwi sides picking too many Aussies abs then we have less players to pick from
I don’t care where our players come from and oz supporters won’t either - EPL classic proof point on that. If it means more kiwis in sides to create more balance and success so be it. Success is only way we can retain and grow our footprint. The current imbalance between oz and kiwi teams and the answer is not less oz pro teams. At least we learnt that lesson with the force debacle. I increasingly believe it is a case of when and not if that happens as keeping on doing the same thing whilst Rome burns is running out of oxygen.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I don’t care where our players come from and oz supporters won’t either - EPL classic proof point on that. If it means more kiwis in sides to create more balance and success so be it. Success is only way we can retain and grow our footprint. The current imbalance between oz and kiwi teams and the answer is not less oz pro teams. At least we learnt that lesson with the force debacle. I increasingly believe it is a case of when and not if that happens as keeping on doing the same thing whilst Rome burns is running out of oxygen.
But the issue is the best players will stay in NZ

If we keep a policy of only picking domestic players having more list spots filled with non wallabies eligible players is going to hinder us further

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Yeah. Might win titles, but with limited opportunities to make one of the 5 Aussie franchises and the lack of an NRC like competition we will see a lot of player drain of players that feel there's no opportunity for staking a claim at Wobs jumper. We'll let quite a few go and chase the money or higher honours elsewhere eg Mack Hansen.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
But the issue is the best players will stay in NZ

If we keep a policy of only picking domestic players having more list spots filled with non wallabies eligible players is going to hinder us further
Longer term it would even out and all blacks would stay in Australia as teams with limited budgets would ensure talent more spread around as other constraints outside of money removed. It is a complete fallacy to say otherwise as again EPL shows that as you have top French and Italian players playing there despite the quality of their own domestic leagues. I think this is silly to suggest over time it would not follow what happens in northern hemisphere pro soccer where more open borders policy. The caveat I am saying here is to limit to only super rugby team as keep players closer to home and within super rugby to promote a better competition to negate the threat of cashed up overseas leagues offering big money.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yeah. Might win titles, but with limited opportunities to make one of the 5 Aussie franchises and the lack of an NRC like competition we will see a lot of player drain of players that feel there's no opportunity for staking a claim at Wobs jumper. We'll let quite a few go and chase the money or higher honours elsewhere eg Mack Hansen.
Heard it all before with lack of opportunities for English players in EPL. I don’t buy it as you create a successful competition they attracts more fans, money..it will entice more top young talent to chase rugby dreams and/or grow the game.

To my mind this would help also create the opportunity to put in place an nrc team funding and opportunity wise.