• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Longer term it would even out and all blacks would stay in Australia as teams with limited budgets would ensure talent more spread around as other constraints outside of money removed. It is a complete fallacy to say otherwise as again EPL shows that as you have top French and Italian players playing there despite the quality of their own domestic leagues. I think this is silly to suggest over time it would not follow what happens in northern hemisphere pro soccer where more open borders policy. The caveat I am saying here is to limit to only super rugby team as keep players closer to home and within super rugby to promote a better competition to negate the threat of cashed up overseas leagues offering big money.
If we can only pick players from super rugby and we are going to let kiwis play here and let Aussies play there we will end up with a pro NZ split when it comes to talent so we will reduce the number of players we can pick

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
The EPL is one of the most lucrative sports leagues in the world. France or England would be rugbys equivalent. Unfortunately it’s not us.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Heard it all before with lack of opportunities for English players in EPL. I don’t buy it as you create a successful competition they attracts more fans, money..it will entice more top young talent to chase rugby dreams and/or grow the game.

To my mind this would help also create the opportunity to put in place an nrc team funding and opportunity wise.
It's a limited window for rugby players. Unlike the EPL, if you don't have a ARU top up you're much better off chasing the Japan,/Europe money. EPL players that don't make the EPL move to a lesser comp where they still can get paid. Good coin. Australian players who don't have a clear pathway move to other competitions where they get paid more. Easy choice really. I'd lose interest pretty soon if I was watching a bunch of foreign outcasts

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
If we can only pick players from super rugby and we are going to let kiwis play here and let Aussies play there we will end up with a pro NZ split when it comes to talent so we will reduce the number of players we can pick
Been here before - footprint more important. If we get better franchises with better teams, means more fan interest, better standard and more money in the game for top athletes more motivated to look at rugby. Rather have 60 oz players in 5 teams of higher quality talent then 80 players which drags the talent down to create mediocre teams that attracts no one.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Been here before - footprint more important. If we get better franchises with better teams, means more fan interest, better standard and more money in the game for top athletes more motivated to look at rugby. Rather have 60 oz players in 5 teams of higher quality talent then 80 players which drags the talent down to create mediocre teams that attracts no one.
No it doesn’t, I have no interest in watching All Blacks pull on a Rebels jersey

On top of that if you want to grow the foot print the Wallabies need to win. A move that is going to further hinder the wallabies performance doesn’t help that

Clubhouse coach

Sydney Middleton (9)
Understand where you are coming from Rebel man, but if we had a Super Rugby AU comp with six or seven teams with the Drua. Supplemented with PSD, Marx, Sexton, Russell,Woki,Dupont,Itoje, Russell, Mounga, Retallick.
You would have a product that would have true global interest and worth a bucket load of money in broadcast rights, something the Japanese are trying to work towards.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
No it doesn’t, I have no interest in watching All Blacks pull on a Rebels jersey

On top of that if you want to grow the foot print the Wallabies need to win. A move that is going to further hinder the wallabies performance doesn’t help that
Nah you are a minority - people want to support their local team with talented players - if they are all blacks or players from another country they won’t care. Again you set the standard higher you get better wallabies as those players are playing with better players in their teams.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Nah you are a minority - people want to support their local team with talented players - if they are all blacks or players from another country they won’t care. Again you set the standard higher you get better wallabies as those players are playing with better players in their teams.
How do you get better wallabies? What stops all the Aus sides from signing kiwi 10s? Then who plays 10 for the wallabies?

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
How do you get better wallabies? What stops all the Aus sides from signing kiwi 10s? Then who plays 10 for the wallabies?
Like the French clubs did to their national team. But that was with incredibly wealthy owners taking their best 10s. Not the second stringers our teams could afford

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
He's surely exactly the sort of player that should be asked about whether a Lions Tour in 2025 and a home RWC in 2027 are factors that keep young players from signing overseas.

He's very likely to soon be in the segment of players who could earn significantly more overseas but is a long way off being a regular Wallaby (on a top up contract and paid a substantial amount). The desire to play for the Wallabies and be part of these big events is what we're relying on to keep them at home.
There is no way we can reconcile the fact that players who arent even close to their prime can double their salary overseas with the need to keep bringing through top class talent for the Wallabies. It's already gone.

It's inevitable that selection will be completely opened up as with the Saffas. We can fuck around with Giteau laws for a while but it won't change anything in the long run.

IMO its workable. As long as there is a pathway to both the Wallabies and lucrative salaries, we should continue to produce talent.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
There is no way we can reconcile the fact that players who arent even close to their prime can double their salary overseas with the need to keep bringing through top class talent for the Wallabies. It's already gone.

It's inevitable that selection will be completely opened up as with the Saffas. We can fuck around with Giteau laws for a while but it won't change anything in the long run.

IMO its workable. As long as there is a pathway to both the Wallabies and lucrative salaries, we should continue to produce talent.
But the wallabies should be the pinnacle

If they are competitive again we bring fans back to rugby

If a bloke is an Aussie then pick him I say

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
No, then we will see half of our squads filled with kiwis.
It depends on the governing body. If the ARU has the total control can create something similar as Giteau's law, so you can pick only 3 or 4 Kiwis per franchise in key positions. If it is a free market, obviously, Kiwis going to take all the teams.

In the current free market something similar is happening. The ARU can't sign Kiwis top players but you can see some Kiwis from NPC or retired players like Kahui playing for Aussie sides

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
It depends on the governing body. If the ARU has the total control can create something similar as Giteau's law, so you can pick only 3 or 4 Kiwis per franchise in key positions. If it is a free market, obviously, Kiwis going to take all the teams.

In the current free market something similar is happening. The ARU can't sign Kiwis top players but you can see some Kiwis from NPC or retired players like Kahui playing for Aussie sides
I already don’t like seeing kiwis in our sides

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
I don’t care where our players come from and oz supporters won’t either - EPL classic proof point on that.
And how have the English National football team's performances been with the successful model of EPL??? They haven't won a World Cup since 1966. A powerfull domestic competition with a lot of foreigners meanwhile the National team is average at best.

The ARU has to take the control of that model and limit the number of Kiwis players per team. It have to be something like 80 % Aussies players and 20% Kiwis in Aussie franchises. Or 70/30, I'm not sure

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
And how have the English National football team's performances been with the successful model of EPL??? They haven't won a World Cup since 1966. A powerfull domestic competition with a lot of foreigners meanwhile the National team is average at best.

The ARU has to take the control of that model and limit the number of Kiwis players per team. It have to be something like 80 % Aussies players and 20% Kiwis in Aussie franchises. Or 70/30, I'm not sure
England's underperformance in that period is interesting. They had the 'golden generation'. Scholes, Lampard, Terry, Rooney etc. All world class players but they could never put it together. A coaching and systems issue.

But, regardless, that is an argument for overseas selection. They had the 'best' comp in the world and achieved little. In football it doesn't seem to be tied to the apparent strength of your domestic comp.

If we provide a pathway to mad Japan touch footy money AND Wallaby selection Rugby will remain desirable as a sport in Aus. I think.

Could be wrong though lol.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
This is the world we live in unfortunately, it’s not something that is unique to Australia, it’s the globalistion of professional sport. We are feeling it more because of the double whammy of our governing body having no money, and the NRL and AFL being purely domestic models (well 90% in the NRL’s case).

With regards to these players, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is in his twilight and entitled to cash in, Rennie can still select him this year. Frost isn’t going to upset the apple cart this World Cup cycle and an offshore stint for a few years could actually be good for him. The ‘rumour’ of Tupou wanting to leave is going to be a perpetual one, because he and RA both know that he can.

All we can do for now is compete as best as we can and try to grow the game domestically for the next few years, and it does feel a lot like we are heading in a better direction. And then for the Lions tour in 2025 through to the 2027 World Cup we are hosting I reckon we should drop all selection restrictions and assemble the best Wallabies squad we possibly can, if we can kick some butt during that period we can seriously cash in and build a war chest to provide a world class domestic comp in the future.