• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Clubhouse coach

Sydney Middleton (9)
Limit to one overseas player per team who is a cuttent test player, a marquee player. And one Australian marquee player, both exempt from the salary cap. This is how we create interest and extra income from o/s broadcasters and fans, as well as increasing the rugby iq of Australian sides.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
How do you get better wallabies? What stops all the Aus sides from signing kiwi 10s? Then who plays 10 for the wallabies?
So what’s the difference with EPL full of foreigners….more successful teams, more fans, more money, attracts more high performance talent. You only sign kiwis if they are better which sets the standard rather then mediocrity.

Sorry you have pro leagues around the world with more open door policies that successfully grow home grown talent as in simple terms first got to have a successful league to have something for talented athletes to have a reason to choose rugby at grass roots level to want to choose over other sports. We want the top athletes not the mediocre ones as because of rugby’s position we have enough of the latter which is why we are less competitive against the kiwis.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Limit to one overseas player per team who is a cuttent test player, a marquee player. And one Australian marquee player, both exempt from the salary cap. This is how we create interest and extra income from o/s broadcasters and fans, as well as increasing the rugby iq of Australian sides.
I don’t mind quotas and suggest that is sensible and MP (Moana Pasifika) situation where allowed to have 3 all blacks more probably the quota we want to make it a meaningful impact.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
This is the world we live in unfortunately, it’s not something that is unique to Australia, it’s the globalistion of professional sport. We are feeling it more because of the double whammy of our governing body having no money, and the NRL and AFL being purely domestic models (well 90% in the NRL’s case).

With regards to these players, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is in his twilight and entitled to cash in, Rennie can still select him this year. Frost isn’t going to upset the apple cart this World Cup cycle and an offshore stint for a few years could actually be good for him. The ‘rumour’ of Tupou wanting to leave is going to be a perpetual one, because he and RA both know that he can.

All we can do for now is compete as best as we can and try to grow the game domestically for the next few years, and it does feel a lot like we are heading in a better direction. And then for the Lions tour in 2025 through to the 2027 World Cup we are hosting I reckon we should drop all selection restrictions and assemble the best Wallabies squad we possibly can, if we can kick some butt during that period we can seriously cash in and build a war chest to provide a world class domestic comp in the future.
Yep if we can’t create a more open borders franchise model for super rugby pacific it makes more then ever building our own domestic competition a critical imperative. Maybe in time we need regardless of this both ie domestic competition and participation in super rugby pacific. As to what teams in each I ain’t going to get into as that opens the debate on the myriad of options for that.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Understand where you are coming from Rebel man, but if we had a Super Rugby AU comp with six or seven teams with the Drua. Supplemented with PSD, Marx, Sexton, Russell,Woki,Dupont,Itoje, Russell, Mounga, Retallick.
You would have a product that would have true global interest and worth a bucket load of money in broadcast rights, something the Japanese are trying to work towards.
That is exactly the point you make so well which is if we don’t create the same sort of product Japan are creating we are screwed. Japanese teams don’t have same constraints on them that our teams in a closed borders policy have in super rugby pacific. Allow at least more free flow of talent in super rugby pacific to create a better product and improve the product to ward of the growing threat of Japanese, USA rugby, European rugby etc

If NZRU and RA continue to constraint the super rugby product with closed borders policy within super rugby for teams the competition is doomed and the increasing threat of Japanese, USA rugby etc decimating the ranks of nz, oz, pacific rugby players will accelerate.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
That is exactly the point you make so well which is if we don’t create the same sort of product Japan are creating we are screwed. Japanese teams don’t have same constraints on them that our teams in a closed borders policy have in super rugby pacific. Allow at least more free flow of talent in super rugby pacific to create a better product and improve the product to ward of the growing threat of Japanese, USA rugby, European rugby etc

If NZRU and RA continue to constraint the super rugby product with closed borders policy within super rugby for teams the competition is doomed and the increasing threat of Japanese, USA rugby etc decimating the ranks of nz, oz, pacific rugby players will accelerate.
The Wallabies are doomed if we follow your blue print

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Understand where you are coming from Rebel man, but if we had a Super Rugby AU comp with six or seven teams with the Drua. Supplemented with PSD, Marx, Sexton, Russell,Woki,Dupont,Itoje, Russell, Mounga, Retallick.
You would have a product that would have true global interest and worth a bucket load of money in broadcast rights, something the Japanese are trying to work towards.

You sound like Twiggy Forrest.

“We’ll have a comp with PSD, Marx, Sexton, DuPont …..”

The reality though?

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
It’s about having appeal here no over seas

The Wallabies are how you get people into rugby in the first place

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
In his twilight?
He is only 25 and as a tight forward he arguably hasn’t even hit his peak yet
Shit, seems like he has been around for ages. I’ll rephrase from ‘in his twilight’ to ‘seemingly not in current Wallabies calculations’. As I said though he can still get selected this year and he could do a Leota, having to relocate on $600k per annum is not uncounterable.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Yep if we can’t create a more open borders franchise model for super rugby pacific it makes more then ever building our own domestic competition a critical imperative. Maybe in time we need regardless of this both ie domestic competition and participation in super rugby pacific. As to what teams in each I ain’t going to get into as that opens the debate on the myriad of options for that.
I’m opposed to the fully open borders model, but a couple of marquee players per franchise would be a good thing. The emphasis needs to be on retaining our own players on our shores, stopping them from going to league, and even buying some key players back from both. Do that and we can build our own world class domestic comp, that’s what the 2025-2027 war chest needs to be used for.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I’m opposed to the fully open borders model, but a couple of marquee players per franchise would be a good thing. The emphasis needs to be on retaining our own players on our shores, stopping them from going to league, and even buying some key players back from both. Do that and we can build our own world class domestic comp, that’s what the 2025-2027 war chest needs to be used for.
That’s the thing if we are finding all this cash for marquee players bring some bloody Aussies home

Imagine the Reds Quade 10 Kerevi 12, they would take it up to the kiwi sides

dru

Tim Horan (67)
So what’s the difference with EPL full of foreigners….more successful teams, more fans, more money, attracts more high performance talent. You only sign kiwis if they are better which sets the standard rather then mediocrity.

Sorry you have pro leagues around the world with more open door policies that successfully grow home grown talent as in simple terms first got to have a successful league to have something for talented athletes to have a reason to choose rugby at grass roots level to want to choose over other sports. We want the top athletes not the mediocre ones as because of rugby’s position we have enough of the latter which is why we are less competitive against the kiwis.

The English National football team has often had some difficult thinking in selection given so many foreigners in the comp. They've even occasionally pulled players into the squad from a lower division. It's a good thing for the quality of the "domestic" comp, but not helpful at international level.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
The English National football team has often had some difficult thinking in selection given so many foreigners in the comp. They've even occasionally pulled players into the squad from a lower division. It's a good thing for the quality of the "domestic" comp, but not helpful at international level.
Exactly when was the last time football went home?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I don't think we need to have a fully open doors policy. But if we continue with a TT rather than a domestic comp, players in any team in the comp should be available for National selection regardless of domicile location. I don't mind the MP (Moana Pasifika) AB quota, and possibly a statement would be made to spread that thinking. It is not going to see a big shift in teams the current ABs play for, but it would possibly open up new talent based outside NZ but in the comp, who do make it to the ABs.

If the talent is not balanced (roughly) the comp is not imo sustainable.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Exactly when was the last time football went home?

Apologies Rebel, I don't actually understand your question? At any rate I lived in England 1997 to 2007 and was a keen follower of the round ball game. My team was the Royals (not at the time Premier league) but we had a player into the National squad. And this definitely due to key positions in the Premier being dominated by non-English. I'm not that interested to back track to find details though.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Apologies Rebel, I don't actually understand your question? At any rate I lived in England 1997 to 2007 and was a keen follower of the round ball game. My team was the Royals (not at the time Premier league) but we had a player into the National squad. And this definitely due to key positions in the Premier being dominated by non-English. I'm not that interested to back track to find details though.
Every time the Euro’s or World Cup roll around, all the English fans sing “football’s coming home” yet they haven’t won anything in 56 years

Reactions: dru