• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Say that anyone know what he is like?
Considering the 3 existing flyhalves in the full time squad are so young (all 22 or younger) it would be tough to show a path for your Academy flyhalf. His brother was it, then left, now he was it, and has left. All good for u18 with gen blue then a season or 2 in the Academy trying to get into Aus u20, but beyond that? Bit stuck.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Far be it from me to criticise any individuals right to work abroad BUT traitorous rugby players such as these disloyal mercenaries should be placed on some sort of red flag watchlist. Then when they attempt to return down under for a friendly family visit to their estranged relatives (who hopefully have now all disowned the treasonous bastards) the red flags ping and they are "processed" in one of those "quarantine" aussie gitmo hotels which sadly may unfortunately require months and months and months (possibly even years) of isolation until the "paperwork" is done.

TL/DR; a country paid for and invested in their rugby futures only to be dumped in the dead of night as these selfish individuals abandon their homeland and fuck off to stupid Ireland.
So DP does the same apply for all the pacific island players Australia and NZ have accumulated over the years or so we deserve a special exemption based on the rules ‘only apply to others principle.’

ps I am sure we can justify it as we don’t have shitty winters cf northern hemisphere

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Tom Banks being offered $1.4M per year to go to Japan!!! Tom Banks!!! How are we meant to compete with that when players like Banks are getting cash like that???? And now RA are trying to counter? Offer him a sabbatical etc? Why???

On the flip side, how does he bring $1.4M worth of value to a team?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Tom Banks being offered $1.4M per year to go to Japan!!! Tom Banks!!! How are we meant to compete with that when players like Banks are getting cash like that???? And now Rugby Australia are trying to counter? Offer him a sabbatical etc? Why???

Why would they counter? He ain't worth that much $$$, he should take it and run

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Tom Banks being offered $1.4M per year to go to Japan!!! Tom Banks!!! How are we meant to compete with that when players like Banks are getting cash like that???? And now Rugby Australia are trying to counter? Offer him a sabbatical etc? Why???

The Japanese corporates have obviously got more money than sense.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
I agree, Banks has had his opportunities at Test level, yet to deliver. I think RA got lucky here, on one hand, they cannot compete with those $$$, and on the other, they "offer" him a deal he will not take and the cash goes to other players.

Banks should take the money and run 100%

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Banks is a decent player, but that is just staggering. The issue of keeping players who might be something, but haven't nailed it yet, will just get worse for Aus Rugby with these sort of offers. He's mad if he doesn't take it. It would be interesting to see if any Euro clubs would offer anything remotely like that (or even half of that) to him - I very much doubt it. Now, if he was a THP or lock.........

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Banks is a decent player, but that is just staggering. The issue of keeping players who might be something, but haven't nailed it yet, will just get worse for Aus Rugby with these sort of offers. He's mad if he doesn't take it. It would be interesting to see if any Euro clubs would offer anything remotely like that (or even half of that) to him - I very much doubt it. Now, if he was a THP or lock.........

The SMH article today suggesting the Wallabies want to construct a special deal and have Banks for the 2023 RWC. How about instead we need to accept that in RWC years, the whole selection policy goes out the door. At the end of the day, winning a RWC is the single thing that can push rugby in Australia back to it's peak.

So let's just admit the fact that we can't match insane amounts of money being offered and look at what we can control. That is selecting blokes who can win us a RWC regardless of where they are playing. If it means selecting 7 Japanese based players in RWC years, so be it.

I'm not necessarily advocating for Banks selection in 2023, but moreso the fact that trying to reach a deal when he's got $1.4M on the table elsewhere seems dumb when the reality is he can still play for the national side if the selectors really want him.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The SMH article today suggesting the Wallabies want to construct a special deal and have Banks for the 2023 RWC. How about instead we need to accept that in RWC years, the whole selection policy goes out the door. At the end of the day, winning a RWC is the single thing that can push rugby in Australia back to it's peak.

So let's just admit the fact that we can't match insane amounts of money being offered and look at what we can control. That is selecting blokes who can win us a RWC regardless of where they are playing. If it means selecting 7 Japanese based players in RWC years, so be it.

I'm not necessarily advocating for Banks selection in 2023, but moreso the fact that trying to reach a deal when he's got $1.4M on the table elsewhere seems dumb when the reality is he can still play for the national side if the selectors really want him.
There is load more stock available after a RWC, from memory fringe test units got some big offers just before the last RWC

They are aren't competing with starting all those RWC players who will be looking for their last big pay cheques

Last edited:

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Yep. Maybe it's harder for the Japanese teams to attract top talent in a World Cup year, as more of those players would be playing in their home comps? Hence Banks becomes more valuable?

I hope RA doesn't spend too long twisting itself in knots trying to keep him - it's a massive offer, congratulate him and move on.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yep. Maybe it's harder for the Japanese teams to attract top talent in a World Cup year, as more of those players would be playing in their home comps? Hence Banks becomes more valuable?

I hope Rugby Australia doesn't spend too long twisting itself in knots trying to keep him - it's a massive offer, congratulate him and move on.
mmm keep the $$$ for the two world class props who will require substantial and deserved wage upgrades quite soon

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Does the big money in Japan skew towards backs and loose forwards and world class props are less desirable?

Half the pitches they play on are synthetic or hybrid so they are very fast.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
A case of take it quickly before they change their mind!!

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Does the big money in Japan skew towards backs and loose forwards and world class props are less desirable?

Half the pitches they play on are synthetic or hybrid so they are very fast.

Didn't they sign Rory Arnold to a massive deal recently? He's not exactly mobile and dynamic.

I think Taniela would hold value there for his running ability as much as the scrummaging. The defence off the rucks isn't exactly world class in their comp, he would be a try scoring machine close to the line.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Didn't they sign Rory Arnold to a massive deal recently? He's not exactly mobile and dynamic.

I think Taniela would hold value there for his running ability as much as the scrummaging. The defence off the rucks isn't exactly world class in their comp, he would be a try scoring machine close to the line.

In terms of international ability Arnold is way higher than Banks and is very good at the lineout.

Reportedly, Arnold is getting $1.5m a year vs Banks $1.4.

I'm not saying that Tupou wouldn't get a very large offer from Japan, just that it's not going to be his relative value over Banks in terms of dollars. If the Banks offer was relative to his quality vs Arnold or Tupou they'd be getting $3m a season.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Rugby in Aus will get back to its peak once we get a serious club competition running that is marketable and hence dollars available to keep more players at home.

Give up on the idea of a 3rd layer (NRC) and make the Shute shield and QPR the engine room. Maybe even a combination such as a promotion / relegation model of the top 4 teams out of each playing off at end of year(while the wallabies do their spring tour)

We have become a development organization for south pacific islanders to transit through on the way to Europe or Japan.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Rugby in Aus will get back to its peak once we get a serious club competition running that is marketable and hence dollars available to keep more players at home.

Give up on the idea of a 3rd layer (NRC) and make the Shute shield and QPR the engine room. Maybe even a combination such as a promotion / relegation model of the top 4 teams out of each playing off at end of year(while the wallabies do their spring tour)

We have become a development organization for south pacific islanders to transit through on the way to Europe or Japan.

ray-liotta-laughing.gif