• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
ray-liotta-laughing.gif
Brutal.

The whole thing feels like the Toy Story film where toys players in their prime are shipped off to Japan for overinflated prices where they won't be appreciated as they are by us kids and no one will play with them see them play any more ah fuckyuz the whole thing made sense in my head anyway.

Al_20McWhiggin_large.jpg

"A genuine wind-up Damian Mckenzie? Still in the
box? I can pay twice the price he would fetch in NZ..."

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

And we wonder why the game is in the state it is with "supporters" like this. Seems Slim is happy to roll over and let the world walk all over us. The continued apathy and negativity will never allow Aussie dominance.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Rugby in Aus will get back to its peak once we get a serious club competition running that is marketable and hence dollars available to keep more players at home.

Give up on the idea of a 3rd layer (NRC) and make the Shute shield and QPR the engine room. Maybe even a combination such as a promotion / relegation model of the top 4 teams out of each playing off at end of year(while the wallabies do their spring tour)

We have become a development organization for south pacific islanders to transit through on the way to Europe or Japan.
Yeah, no, wrong model

Rugby is more like Cricket in Aus

Test rugby is the money maker, everything else breaks even at best, at worst we minimise the loss - like the Shute Shield & club cricket

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
We shouldn’t be giving leeway for sabbaticals to everyone. Like Dan Carter, Pocock and Hooper had their home unions over a barrel. Players like Banks shouldn’t have that power, because then every other player would be asking for the same. If he’s getting what’s reported, good luck to him, but there have pages and pages on this forum about him being a stop gap, holding a spot until someone else comes along. I’m not wanting to appear mean, he’s a decent player in decent form, but it would set an ugly precedent.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The more I read and think about it the more I thinking this is a agent thing to see how much they can get Banks.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Take the money and run Tom. There is no way we can or even should match that number. If RA can do a deal for a sabbatical or something similar then no worries, but we shouldn't be breaking the bank trying to keep a bloke who's not even a locked in starter for the Wallabies. Can't afford it.

Clubhouse coach

Sydney Middleton (9)
Save the money to bring Kerevi, Hockings and Lucas home and keep Frost and Tupou.
Banks will find a lot more gaps in the Japanese league than he would in SRTT.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Isn't Kerevi on the outta because his club wants a 10.. I think Banks is awesome, better then most others. But this is life changing money he will never get here, take it and run.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Ireland very brumbiesk in turning others players (for brumbies read nsw and qld players) into top notch national players. Credit to Ireland as they are consistently ranked higher then wallabies so must be doing something right.
They have more followers, viewerships and sponsors but for some reason their players aren't good enough if they have to poach Kiwis and Aussies who couldn't make the ABs/Wallabies and then they reiceve a call for the Irish team

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I think Banks is awesome, better then most others. But this is life changing money he will never get here, take it and run.
So who is the contender for the Wallabies fullback spot? Petaia is made of glass so I hope Brad Thorn picks Jack Campbell at 15 and develops his skills there

dru

Tim Horan (67)
So who is the contender for the Wallabies fullback spot? Petaia is made of glass so I hope Brad Thorn picks Jack Campbell at 15 and develops his skills there

Jock Campbell won't make 15, though naturally his chances seem better now than a week ago. the plan seems to be introducing Jock as first receiver a little and getting more direct involvement during the game. Mind you it will be interesting to see how long Jock holds 14 at the Reds once Vunivalu is available. It suggests a possible slot in the WBs at 23. A different sort of flexibility to Hodge. Mind you it will be interesting to see how long Jock holds 14 at the Reds once Vunivalu is available.

Petaia just needs to play his cards right, WB 15 beckons.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
They have more followers, viewerships and sponsors but for some reason their players aren't good enough if they have to poach Kiwis and Aussies who couldn't make the ABs/Wallabies and then they reiceve a call for the Irish team
Bring Andy Friend home from Connacht, that might stem the flow, and improve our coaching stocks as well. Probably should get Les Kiss too, whilst you're at it.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

So they target players outside of Ireland to improve their quality of test players…and the problem is???
the problem is a concentration of the quality in one location.
Reduces the competitive nature of the game.

I for one would like to see expansion as in more comps around the world at a higher standard. Sort of what Test Match rugby used to drive. ie our home grown talent / program / competition is better than yours because our test team beat up yours.

But alas the evil money trail now has us all dancing a different tune.