• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Interestingly Kerevi wasn't on the list of departing players from Suntory Sungoliath - it featured guys like Talakai (who we know is signed in Super Rugby) and Dmac who I believe was on a NZ sabbatical contract.

Kerevi made some noise about wanting to return to Australia but maybe he's decided to stay put. Or possibly negotiations are ongoing.

With Kerevi's signature being highly valued by really any Aussie Super Rugby team, it is possible they are simply withholding any departure chat until later in the year.
As long as he's available for the Wallabies it might be better if he stays in Japan.

We know what he brings and his quality. Gives some other lads a chance plus he'd take a huge chunk of any sides cap.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Interestingly Kerevi wasn't on the list of departing players from Suntory Sungoliath - it featured guys like Talakai (who we know is signed in Super Rugby) and Dmac who I believe was on a NZ sabbatical contract.

Kerevi made some noise about wanting to return to Australia but maybe he's decided to stay put. Or possibly negotiations are ongoing.

With Kerevi's signature being highly valued by really any Aussie Super Rugby team, it is possible they are simply withholding any departure chat until later in the year.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/sung...ptions-for-samu-kerevi-as-contract-nears-end/

This was from april, sounds like he wants to come back

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)

He was always doing one more season in Japan- its his NEXT move, so likely post WC we would see him in Super Rugby - he would probably be signed starting mid 2023 after the Japanese comp.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
KEREVI.png

Make what you want of that, but to me leaving himself very very very open to be at in aus next yr

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Make what you want of that, but to me leaving himself very very very open to be at in aus next yr
Agree it’s very open ended - but I wouldn’t rule him out playing for another Japanese or going to Europe either. I wonder if he’d have an offer from Fiji Drua as well. He knows he will be picked for the Wallabies no matter where he plays. It just depends which contract makes sense.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Agree it’s very open ended - but I wouldn’t rule him out playing for another Japanese or going to Europe either. I wonder if he’d have an offer from Fiji Drua as well. He knows he will be picked for the Wallabies no matter where he plays. It just depends which contract makes sense.

The Drua are backed by the aus govt. & are about getting more players at a level to play for Fiji there is no way they could match what Santory would offer. I feel its Japan or aus

Side note I saw Semi Radradra in the middle of melbourne yesterday on my way home from the fight

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
The Drua are backed by the aus govt. & are about getting more players at a level to play for Fiji there is no way they could match what Santory would offer. I feel its Japan or aus

Side note I saw Semi Radradra in the middle of melbourne yesterday on my way home from the fight
Supposably the Dolphins are after him or is just another name thrown into that NRL rumor bucket

Wilson

David Codey (61)
With the talk of Austin Gilgronis breaking the salary cap in the MLR I wonder if we'll see some Australian players looking to make their way back. Hugh Roach, Mack Mason and Ryan Lowrens are all at Austin but it wouldn't be to surprising if an infringement at Austin prompted more scrutiny elsewhere or just some departures from other clubs as a few Austin players become available.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
With the talk of Austin Gilgronis breaking the salary cap in the MLR I wonder if we'll see some Australian players looking to make their way back. Hugh Roach, Mack Mason and Ryan Lowrens are all at Austin but it wouldn't be to surprising if an infringement at Austin prompted more scrutiny elsewhere or just some departures from other clubs as a few Austin players become available.

i googled the f out of it this morning & found this on some random form

MLR reddit is suggesting a salary cap breach is the most likely situation. It does seems a very harsh penalty so it must be a pretty big issue. Drugs maybe?

A further post on reddit seems to suggest it is due to them not paying basically all their bills for more than 3 months.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
i googled the f out of it this morning & found this on some random form

MLR reddit is suggesting a salary cap breach is the most likely situation. It does seems a very harsh penalty so it must be a pretty big issue. Drugs maybe?

A further post on reddit seems to suggest it is due to them not paying basically all their bills for more than 3 months.
Gilchrist jumped in at the last minute to save them when they were going to fall over last time. It is the only reason they allowed one person to own two teams (he had already been approved for the LA licence).

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
The Rugby Paper (UK) reporting that Sio is talking to Ealing. The money wouldn’t be that great so surely another Aus team can at least keep him for another year

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Gilchrist jumped in at the last minute to save them when they were going to fall over last time. It is the only reason they allowed one person to own two teams (he had already been approved for the LA licence).

Could be with money owing from previous owners & gilchrist didnt pay it/didnt know there was a bill to be paid.

Or he could be cheating lol

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Could be with money owing from previous owners & gilchrist didnt pay it/didnt know there was a bill to be paid.

Or he could be cheating lol

The Austin team doesn’t seem as stacked as LA is/was last year.

If they’ve breached the cap you’d imagine there will be some more digging into other rosters.