• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Marce

John Thornett (49)
The 3rd time Skelton has destroyed Leinster’s pack.
The funny thing is that Ireland is one of the most dangerous teams around the world and most of their forward pack is from Leinster. You have the weapon to destroy them but Skelton is likely to miss next WC

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I heard/read a whisper that Rennie may be successful in getting greater leniency for WC squad selection.

It shouldn't even be up for debate.

Have whatever rules you want outside RWC years, but we need to select our best players for a RWC.

The best way to get our game back on the map here and attracting the best players across all levels, is winning RWCs.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
The funny thing is that Ireland is one of the most dangerous teams around the world and most of their forward pack is from Leinster. You have the weapon to destroy them but Skelton is likely to miss next WC
But then he turns up for the Wallabies and plays like a wet blanket...

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Still nowhere near what he does in France or the Cup, and if we are going to use him coming in as an OS player, he has to dominate like that straight of the bat.

We've tried it two or three times with stints off the bench on a short preparation.

Skelton should be in the frame for the RWC where we have a lot longer to prepare. He offers something we don't have elsewhere (really, something no one else has) that has shown it can be incredibly dominant in some of the biggest games.

I'm expecting the overseas player rule to be relaxed for the RWC because that is the time it makes sense to do so.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
We've tried it two or three times with stints off the bench on a short preparation.

Skelton should be in the frame for the RWC where we have a lot longer to prepare. He offers something we don't have elsewhere (really, something no one else has) that has shown it can be incredibly dominant in some of the biggest games.

I'm expecting the overseas player rule to be relaxed for the RWC because that is the time it makes sense to do so.
Ok so bring back Skelton, throw in Hanigan after 1 whole game, swap out Banks with Beale.. i say fuck it, what’s Bernard Foley and Cheika up to, let’s just get the whole band back together.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Ok so bring back Skelton, throw in Hanigan after 1 whole game, swap out Banks with Beale.. i say fuck it, what’s Bernard Foley and Cheika up to, let’s just get the whole band back together.

LOL.

Do you genuinely think Skelton has nothing to offer to the Wallabies?

Do you think the 3 overseas player rule will be strictly adhered to for the RWC and Rennie won't want to select Arnold, Kerevi, Koroibete and Cooper (plus potentially Skelton).

My take is that RA and Rennie will want to do everything they can to try and give us the best chance for success at the RWC. The preparation time gives a once in four year opportunity to bring in more players without losing cohesion. In my view it's a big part of why South Africa were able to win last time but aren't nearly as strong in a normal year with their side now playing all around the world.

I'd be surprised if Rennie has ruled a line through Skelton after the EOYT last year.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
LOL.

Do you genuinely think Skelton has nothing to offer to the Wallabies?

Do you think the 3 overseas player rule will be strictly adhered to for the RWC and Rennie won't want to select Arnold, Kerevi, Koroibete and Cooper (plus potentially Skelton).

My take is that Rugby Australia and Rennie will want to do everything they can to try and give us the best chance for success at the RWC. The preparation time gives a once in four year opportunity to bring in more players without losing cohesion. In my view it's a big part of why South Africa were able to win last time but aren't nearly as strong in a normal year with their side now playing all around the world.

I'd be surprised if Rennie has ruled a line through Skelton after the EOYT last year.
I didn’t say any of that did I?

It was a tongue in cheek comment about firstly parachuting Hanigan in after one game, and now declaring a limited overseas spot must go towards Skelton, a player who has rarely/inconsistently transferred domestic form to test form.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I didn’t say any of that did I?

It was a tongue in cheek comment about firstly parachuting Hanigan in after one game, and now declaring a limited overseas spot must go towards Skelton, a player who has rarely/inconsistently transferred domestic form to test form.
I mean, has he ever had an extended run in the side? I think he started a couple of games against France in 2014.

He clearly has something that's worth exploiting if we can make it work.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
and now declaring a limited overseas spot must go towards Skelton, a player who has rarely transferred domestic form to test form.

My whole argument is that it won't be a limited overseas spot. If we're sticking with three OS players then I wouldn't include Skelton.

If we open it up for the RWC I would definitely include him in the earlier larger squads and see if he makes it.

I feel like the domestic form to test form question is moot. He's played 2 or 3 tests off the bench in a relevant timeframe. 2016 and earlier is surely irrelevant at this point.

yes.. yes I do think the number of overseas players will be limited to previously agreed to arrangements
If we're sticking with three he doesn't make it. I'm in agreement on that.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Look who's coming home!
20220531_130409.jpg

Rugby physios take care! Daddy is coming for you

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well, I think the GAGR commercial team will want him back at the Tahs. The trio of Beale, Hanigan, and Phipps will ensure massive engagement/argument on the "Waratahs 2023" thread.
I think we've got a half and skipper in Gordon, not sure Phipps will want to come home to the Tahs to ride the pine

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Interestingly Kerevi wasn't on the list of departing players from Suntory Sungoliath - it featured guys like Talakai (who we know is signed in Super Rugby) and Dmac who I believe was on a NZ sabbatical contract.

Kerevi made some noise about wanting to return to Australia but maybe he's decided to stay put. Or possibly negotiations are ongoing.

With Kerevi's signature being highly valued by really any Aussie Super Rugby team, it is possible they are simply withholding any departure chat until later in the year.