• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Hogie

Herbert Moran (7)
No Louis Lynagh which has surprised me, just for Eddie to stoke up Australia prior to the series.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
See Guy Porter named in England squad. Seriously Rugby Australia really need to review their talent ID Depatment. Super rugby are missing way too many.
I’m ok with the talent ID crowd letting Guy slip through the system. He was in our system wasn’t he? Look, good player no doubt, who would he be keeping out of the squad though, Samu Kerevi?

pnut

Watty Friend (18)
I’m ok with the talent ID crowd letting Guy slip through the system. He was in our system wasn’t he? Look, good player no doubt, who would he be keeping out of the squad though, Samu Kerevi?
Was referring more to super franchises missing talent as opposed to making wallaby starting team

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
To pretend like this loss of depth isn't devastating to the Wallabies is ridiculous.

These are the guys that populate a system that props up a top tier team. You can't just have Kerevi and then no one.

Honestly, if we can't find a way to fix it we won't ever be better than top 10.

pnut

Watty Friend (18)
N
Yeah I get that, he was identified though. Someone in England just decided to pay him more.
No he didn’t. Brumbies had him on training contract only. He went to England to get a full time opportunity. Say it was money is wrong.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
N

No he didn’t. Brumbies had him on training contract only. He went to England to get a full time opportunity. Say it was money is wrong.

No, the Brumbies signed him to a one year deal for 2020…

Understandably, he didn’t see any game time and signed with Leicester at the end of the season.

Last edited:

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
He left for a better opportunity, good luck to the guy, I am happy to see him doing well in the UK

I find the bemoaning of anyone who takes a different path quite depressing, in a world sport this will always happen.

And really the concept of young guy working in the UK is not exactly unheard of - and some land on their feet and never come back - good luck to him. I wish I was good enough to fund world travels by playing pro rugby, one of the few Peter Fitzsimons books I enjoyed was "Hitchhiking for Ugly people" where he details traveling and playing in SA and then in France ..................... I was just a tad jealous

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
From my understanding, a brief history of Porter...

He is English...

He had a bad run of injuries, and multiple surgeries when younger and focused on study at Sydney Uni...

He overcame said injuries and impressed in club rugby with Sydney Uni, which landed him a one year deal with the Brumbies in 2020...

The 2020 Brumbies were a very good team filled with (future) Wallabies, and he didn't see any game time...

He received an offer from Leicester and went home.

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
Staniforth vs Paenga-Amosa, Top 14 GF

Staniforth is on fire so far, he's every where. Nobody can stop him