• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Congratulations to Brandon Paenga Amosa, now champion of France. Pretty Convincing win, Castres barely fired a shot. If you have a vpn, you can go watch the game on france.tv for free.
Is there any world we he gets considered for an overseas Wallaby spot? How long did he sign for in France - could he sign to return to AU in 2024 and play RWC?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Is there any world we he gets considered for an overseas Wallaby spot? How long did he sign for in France - could he sign to return to AU in 2024 and play RWC?
Unless 2 of the local hookers really stand out through the England series and rugby champs I think there's a very good chance they look at him on the Northern tour. Beyond that it'd all be on performance, but I think he was probably our most consistent hooker last year so he'd have every chance of hanging onto the spot.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well he meant play in the RWC so play in the Test season before he plays domestically the following year. I don't think he meant BPA could play this year and I don't think that scenario happened with Mumm and White (2 seasons out).

The end of the year tour stuff is interesting though, you couldn't bring someone into the squad with already 3 overseas just because they're close by but I think you'd be able to in case of injury.

And just randomly, Quade Cooper has 60+ caps, is that still a thing? Can we select more than 3 overseas if some are 60+ cap players or is that scrapped for just a 3 man quota now.

Last edited:

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
Congratulations to Brandon Paenga Amosa, now champion of France. Pretty Convincing win, Castres barely fired a shot. If you have a vpn, you can go watch the game on france.tv for free.
He should have gotten a yellow card for an illegal tackle lol

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Well he meant play in the RWC so play in the Test season before he plays domestically the following year. I don't think he meant BPA could play this year and I don't think that scenario happened with Mumm and White (2 seasons out).

The end of the year tour stuff is interesting though, you couldn't bring someone into the squad with already 3 overseas just because they're close by but I think you'd be able to in case of injury.

And just randomly, Quade Cooper has 60+ caps, is that still a thing? Can we select more than 3 overseas if some are 60+ cap players or is that scrapped for just a 3 man quota now.
Guessing it's just 3 a series so doesn't matter about caps.. And probably select someone in injury issue who's local.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Guessing it's just 3 a series so doesn't matter about caps.. And probably select someone in injury issue who's local.
I thought there was something about them having to have played Super Rugby at some stage and that was about it. To rule out blokes who jump ship straight out of school and play in Japan etc.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

I don't think it is a thing anymore, I think it now just 3 players based overseas

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

Could Cooper just sing up for a club rugby team in Brisbane and meet the eligibility criteria?

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
So with the MLR season over - do we have any more clarity around what the future holds for the Giltini's and Gilgronis?

That's approximately 70 roster spots, a fair few of them are Aussies. Maybe I am looking in the wrong places but all the news I can find is pretty vanilla, just says they've been disqualified from the 2022 comp for violation of league rules.

If two of the more popular teams are likely to be removed from the comp - how does it rate for the long term viability? Or will some fines be made and everyone become friends again for 2023.