• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
What are the chances of their players getting contracts elsewhere? Super Rugby squads (and cap) seems set.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Rory would prefer not to play any rugby this year in the World Cup and just stay in Japan earning his bucks. Has turned down offers from Aus Super Rugby teams.
So that’s one less contender for lock for the Wallabies.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Rory would prefer not to play any rugby this year in the World Cup and just stay in Japan earning his bucks. Has turned down offers from Aus Super Rugby teams.
Ah shit

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Agree. What an attitude
I mean tbf it’s not like he’s doing anything other than sticking to his contract which already prioritised $ over national selection as most overseas players do

But yea can’t justify selecting him off no game time in a team that also potentially has Bell, Tupou, Kerevi and Cooper doing the same

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
He had a pretty late start to a pro career didn't he? 24, 25 by the time he got his first Brumbies deal & caps? Disappointing, but don't blame the man for maximising the health of his body and earning potential.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think he prefers to guarantee the $$$ from his last big contract, I can understand the logic

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think he prefers to guarantee the $$$ from his last big contract, I can understand the logic

Surely he’d still be paid regardless? He’s a professional athletes being paid to play? If the contracting organisation doesn’t provide the opportunity to play, then surely a case could be made that they fulfill the contract and let him play elsewhere. Just like a contracted super rugby player playing in the ITM Cup or whatever it’s called now.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Surely he’d still be paid regardless? He’s a professional athletes being paid to play? If the contracting organisation doesn’t provide the opportunity to play, then surely a case could be made that they fulfill the contract and let him play elsewhere. Just like a contracted super rugby player playing in the ITM Cup or whatever it’s called now.

I would have thought that he'd need a release from the contract to be able to play elsewhere which would mean a massive reduction in money.

I thought with the Mitre 10 Cup that the upside for the Super teams letting their players go there is they don't have to pay them for that period?