• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
I would have thought that he'd need a release from the contract to be able to play elsewhere which would mean a massive reduction in money.

I thought with the Mitre 10 Cup that the upside for the Super teams letting their players go there is they don't have to pay them for that period?
He should try play some Shute Shield or Hospital Cup to keep match fit and let coaches have a look. If he has Wallabies world cup aspirations that is, he might be stoked with a paid year off.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Surely he’d still be paid regardless? He’s a professional athletes being paid to play? If the contracting organisation doesn’t provide the opportunity to play, then surely a case could be made that they fulfill the contract and let him play elsewhere. Just like a contracted super rugby player playing in the ITM Cup or whatever it’s called now.
It is the same as Rennie, he is essentially on gardening leave,

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I would have thought that he'd need a release from the contract to be able to play elsewhere which would mean a massive reduction in money.

I thought with the Mitre 10 Cup that the upside for the Super teams letting their players go there is they don't have to pay them for that period?
Usually there'd be an option to negotiate a loan for the year where the foreign club would just pay a portion of his salary with his Japanese club covering the rest. You see it often enough with JIFF players in France, but this isn't exactly a usual situation, given his club have voluntarily stood down. I can certainly see a situation where they wouldn't be engaging in those negotiations as a matter of principle.

The other issue with a loan like that is if he were to be injured while with that foreign club he might be risking the remainder of his contract, depending on how it was structured.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Rory would prefer not to play any rugby this year in the World Cup and just stay in Japan earning his bucks. Has turned down offers from Aus Super Rugby teams.
So that’s one less contender for lock for the Wallabies.
That's fairly surprising actually. He should still get paid but a whole year of not playing will negatively impact what he can do after.

But then again, he's probably being paid enough to set him up for life. So somewhat understandable, I guess.

As a regular peasant it's so hard for me to comprehend anyone not wanting to play for their country at a world cup.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
As a regular peasant it's so hard for me to comprehend anyone not wanting to play for their country at a world cup.

He's played at one and the issue here is that he's potentially throwing away multiple years of the biggest contract he's had in his life if he decides he wants to have a crack at going to the RWC this year.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
on the Offsiders program, Eddie was very dismissive of Arnold, especially his attitude of not wanting to go on EOYT last year, " i only want people who want to play for the Wallabies"
Fair from both sides. Professional sport requires total, obsessive commitment. If Rory doesn't want to do that, that's fine.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That's not how it works: players have seperate Super Rugby/NZR & NPC contracts.

I am purely talking about Australian Super Rugby contracted players heading to NZ to play NPC.

As far as I know they sign an NPC contract and the Super Rugby team gives them permission to go and play but doesn't have to pay them through that period.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I am purely talking about Australian Super Rugby contracted players heading to NZ to play NPC.

As far as I know they sign an NPC contract and the Super Rugby team gives them permission to go and play but doesn't have to pay them through that period.

that is correct. It's a money saver for the Aussie Super Rugby teams

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Bad read on my part. So does that mean a Super Rugby player who plays in Shute, QPR, etc is still being paid by their Super Rugby "Club"?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
How the fuck do this silly teams function financially? Ticket sales aren't relevant? Their sponsoring companies pay for the entire set up?
As far as I understand it Rugby is a corporate dick swinging game for major corporations in Japan. The teams themselves all operate at what would be a very minor loss for these companies, given the size of them.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
As far as I understand it Rugby is a corporate dick swinging game for major corporations in Japan. The teams themselves all operate at what would be a very minor loss for these companies, given the size of them.
Gives the feeling that Rugby in Japan could be rolled up over a weekend if the companies decide it isn't the latest thing any more and they want to get into croquet instead.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Gives the feeling that Rugby in Japan could be rolled up over a weekend if the companies decide it isn't the latest thing any more and they want to get into croquet instead.
Yeah - and if it even hints at damaging face they wind that shit up quick smart.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Yeh there is a disconnection with rugby fans and the actual health of the sport in Japan. It’s better than it was 10-15yrs ago, but it’s no way near as in good shape as many people believe. Most these contracts are just paying mega deals because having sports programs is culturally engrained. The crowds and tv audience surely aren’t justifying the spend. Rich Freeman is a great person on Twitter to learn about this for those interested.

I’d argue the sport is in a worse position than it was 5yrs ago, where outside a couple of emerging Latin countries, France and Ireland the games popularity isn’t where it was at last World Cup cycle.

Hogie

Herbert Moran (7)
Reports out of France is that Miles Amatosero - 2m+ /125kg has signed for the Waratahs. If true this is personally how I like to see RA spending money rather than on Rory Arnold. Nothing against Arnold who is class but Amatosero at 20 years old is one I will be excited to see in Aussie Rugby!!