• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
That really just shows me the Storm Social Media team are doing there job.

It's also a misnomer to believe a lot of IG followers means much these days. The number required to equal any sort of financial gain are a lot more than this. IG in sport is a good way to communicate news with your fans more than anything else.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
That really just shows me the Storm Social Media team are doing there job.

It's also a misnomer to believe a lot of IG followers means much these days. The number required to equal any sort of financial gain are a lot more than this. IG in sport is a good way to communicate news with your fans more than anything else.
It also shows that most people only have a very casual interest

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
I thought Newsome was very, very good in his last year at the Tahs. The original journeyman who suddenly found form at 15. Got squeezed out here with all the talent coming through, but I always thought he'd be great in France. Clermont were lucky to get him.
They needed him at the Waratahs this year…

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
Insta followers are the very definition of bandwagon.

Storm 327k followers yet 40k members
40k members is a pretty good number in a crazy AFL city.

Compare that number with AFL teams in Sydney:

Swans 55k
Giants 32k

Definitely they are on race against the most popular footy code in Australia in their main stronghold.

It's like you are losing against ABs 15-20 at 60 minutes, you are in game.

I don't know where you took those numbers. My numbers are from the AFL official website from 2022 season. According them Storm has 66k members.

With that number they beat Swans and Giants. Definitely Storm is a role model as a successful sport team

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

Swans 55k
Giants 32k

Definitely they are on race against the most popular footy code in Australia in their main stronghold.

I don't know where you took those numbers. My numbers are from the AFL official website from 2022 season. According them Storm has 66k members.

With that number they beat Swans and Giants. Definitely Storm is a role model as a successful sport team

Its a completely different culture, victorians have grown up having to buy a memberships RL clubs in nsw traditionally relied on leagues clubs.

there wasnt even pokies in victoria till the 90's

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)

Swans 55k
Giants 32k

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
40k is still a pretty good number and is a record. So they are growing, the wet dream of any Aussie Super Rugby team
Yeah, but they are vulnerable. All you outsiders can point to numbers and say they are in a good position.

But what happens in 5 years no more Bellemy, the Dolphins are moving in on their Queensland recruiting zone. Melbourne can’t sustain a NRL roster with local talent.

They are heading towards a crossroads

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
AB3380B1-A9B0-42E5-9F3E-0CAC66494140.jpeg

DON’T TOUCH HIM. DON’T EVEN LOOK AT HIM.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I don't think that RA/Tahs will be giving him the proverbial blank cheque but I do think they will up his pay to try to keep him - it wouldn't be a good look if he also left and got selected for Scroteland alongside his brother.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I don't think that Rugby Australia/Tahs will be giving him the proverbial blank cheque but I do think they will up his pay to try to keep him - it wouldn't be a good look if he also left and got selected for Scroteland alongside his brother.
I think it'll probably be up to the tahs and any other super side that wants him, I can't see how he can justify an RA top up at this stage. Not with Ikitau, Paisami, Foketi, Perese and Petaia all ahead of him in the wallaby setup (not to mention Kerevi) and plenty of young, talented players like Flook and Ripley with significantly more super rugby experience.

That's not to say Tuipuloto is not a good prospect, just that Scottish interest isn't much of a reason to leapfrog him over these guys or overspend on the centres at the cost of another position.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It would be sensible not to break the bank chasing him but I do hope he doesn't end up being another Mack Hansen.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
This is what the people want.

Hopefully the Tahs have opened up contract extension talks with him. Hard when he hasn't played a Super Rugby game yet but his trial form was very promising, and the pedigree shows he might keep developing.

Or Rebels @MelbourneRebels , sign your boy back since Hodge is out of there after this year.

I actually sat near Mosese & his family on friday & a guy behind us was deliberately talking to his mate loud saying "whose going to replace hodge next yr" "is there anyone from vic that could step up" "maybe someone at the tahs not getting a game"

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
While Ili is having a great start to the year and hats off to him.

But the centres is an area we have typically struggled. If Moses did take the Scotland deal and played test footy for them it would hurt seeing him Sione and Hunter all being Melbourne boys all being test level centres and none playing for Melbourne