• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I think it'll probably be up to the tahs and any other super side that wants him, I can't see how he can justify an Rugby Australia top up at this stage. Not with Ikitau, Paisami, Foketi, Perese and Petaia all ahead of him in the wallaby setup (not to mention Kerevi) and plenty of young, talented players like Flook and Ripley with significantly more super rugby experience.

That's not to say Tuipuloto is not a good prospect, just that Scottish interest isn't much of a reason to leapfrog him over these guys or overspend on the centres at the cost of another position.
What about wasting money in ineligible Aussie players? Like Medrano, Monty, Nadolo, Harwick, Trush, Mataele, Tiatia, Pulu (Too old in case he's elegible), Sorovi

There many centres but the only real big unit at international level is Kerevi and he's playing overseas. Tuipulotu is his natural substitute. He's young and is cheaper than any NRL rockstar that RA wants to bring back like Sua'ali'i or Cameron Murray

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
What about wasting money in ineligible Aussie players? Like Medrano, Monty, Nadolo, Harwick, Trush, Mataele, Tiatia, Pulu (Too old in case he's elegible), Sorovi
Not sure what your point is, Rugby Australia isn't spending money on any of those players and only one of them is even an option in the centres

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)

There many centres but the only real big unit at international level is Kerevi and he's playing overseas. Tuipulotu is his natural substitute. He's young and is cheaper than any NRL rockstar that Rugby Australia wants to bring back like Sua'ali'i or Cameron Murray
Monty isn’t on big money and wanted to come to Melbourne as opposed to Melbourne trying to recruit him.

Hardwick well is a capped Wallaby and it wasn’t until the end of last season he hooked up with Namibia. With Willkin being the vice captain and Leota the captain I would say there is a fair chance he leaves at the end of his contract.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
The Force have had to recruit a lot of those players as well after they were disembowelled by RA and they have done well to get a XV on the field to the standard they have.

I think we've seen a lot of good re-signings so far this year. There will be the natural attrition and it may be slightly increased following the RWC but in regard to Mosese it's hard to value a guy who is yet to be capped at Super Rugby level. Scotland are in a position where they have to spend the money to recruit external talent and most other countries won't be able to match it when I believe Scotland are all about potential upside and content to miss on a few.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
The teams are individually, not Rugby Australia. My post you quoted was entirely about Rugby Australia top ups and whether they should be offering Tuipuloto one.
It doesn't matter where the money comes. The purpose have to be the same

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
It doesn't matter where the money comes. The purpose have to be the same
lol you can't just write stuff and think that makes it true

It does matter because Australia doesn't have a centralised contracting model therefore the clubs are left to fill list spots under the salary caps themselves. Their objective in doing this is to win games - if international players are the right fit they'll always go for them especially in the non-traditional markets.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
lol you can't just write stuff and think that makes it true

It does matter because Australia doesn't have a centralised contracting model therefore the clubs are left to fill list spots under the salary caps themselves. Their objective in doing this is to win games - if international players are the right fit they'll always go for them especially in the non-traditional markets.
I know it. IRFU and NZRU are centralised, French and Japanese clubs are independents. I know how rugby world works.

I just saying in my dream world how should work. I know Twiggy put money in Force. I would be nice if he invest that money in sign Junior Wallabies with talent instead of average foreigner players, just my idea

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I know it. IRFU and NZRU are centralised, French and Japanese clubs are independents. I know how rugby world works.

I just saying in my dream world how should work. I know Twiggy put money in Force. I would be nice if he invest that money in sign Junior Wallabies with talent instead of average foreigner players, just my idea
They will in time but beggars can’t be choosers. The Force had to build a rooster quickly. Players were contracted elsewhere.

Look personally I would have given the Force dispensation, I would have allowed them to spend over the cap to rebuild. What I would have done is let them spend over the cap to bring Wallaby eligible players home

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

He didn't put money into the force he owns them outright, all the other super teams are "owned" by their state unions. He put money into the Fortescue cup & RWA use that money to get a game on stan a week & pays for the 16's & 19's to travel to carnivals

He also offered to bail out RA when Raelene was around but RA knocked him back because he wanted a certain amount of seats on the board

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I think it'll probably be up to the tahs and any other super side that wants him, I can't see how he can justify an Rugby Australia top up at this stage. Not with Ikitau, Paisami, Foketi, Perese and Petaia all ahead of him in the wallaby setup (not to mention Kerevi) and plenty of young, talented players like Flook and Ripley with significantly more super rugby experience.

That's not to say Tuipuloto is not a good prospect, just that Scottish interest isn't much of a reason to leapfrog him over these guys or overspend on the centres at the cost of another position.
Yes that is true but a lot of the 'white knights' that help with 3rd party contracting are connected to the Tahs - so it could come through that channel rather than a top up. That said, getting some game time to show what he has got could help his prospects as well, at least that ball is rolling this weekend.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yes that is true but a lot of the 'white knights' that help with 3rd party contracting are connected to the Tahs - so it could come through that channel rather than a top up. That said, getting some game time to show what he has got could help his prospects as well, at least that ball is rolling this weekend.
That's a dangerous path to be going down in salary cap terms. At a time when RA is trying to centralise contract and bring integrity to the super Rugby competition (both in Australia and wider) it would be very dangerous to allow third party payments outside of the cap for a fringe player.

Unless of course those payments are included in the cap, in which case it just comes back to the same considerations around the super sides bidding for players according to the value they assign them.

As much as money is tight all the super sides (or at very least the traditional 3) should not have a problem covering player wages up to the cap.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Look personally I would have given the Force dispensation, I would have allowed them to spend over the cap to rebuild. What I would have done is let them spend over the cap to bring Wallaby eligible players home
This is a really good idea. I'd support it

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
My biggest peeve is that transfer fees should be paid for poaches across national boundaries.
It'd be great to have but I feel like there would be a lot of pushback from RUPA and the various other player unions, along with the obvious opposition from Scotland, Ireland and Wales (amongst others).

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
My biggest peeve is that transfer fees should be paid for poaches across national boundaries.
Problem there isn’t enough money in rugby (all the comps pay small fry compared to other pro sports) to transfer meaningful amount of cash. The transfers that have happened have been few and far between. Plus players almost always leave at the end of their contractual obligations, so aren’t bound by any contract or law that would ask for compensation.

Maybe if the French comp doubles in commercial size we might start seeing something but isn’t likely to happen any time soon.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Transfer fees already happen with some (albeit infrequent) regularity, mostly small amounts for players struggling for gametime or looking to move on in the upcoming 6-9 months and achieve an early release.

It, however, comes from Clubs/Unions acquiring CONTRACTED players from other entities.