• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
the money in italy is not superb.
i think the decisions is pumas players have to play super rugby. otherwise the super rugby team in BA is the pumas is it not? and i don't think that is the case. i suspect we will see an allowance for japanese and argentinian players across super rugby.

not great on doublas, but hopefully he's just there a couple of years and then returns for 2019 world cup and a bit of time before that. he's a big fellow and locks mature at 27-30 so personally i think a couple years in the north will be good for him. ditto pyle.

T

TOCC

Simmons' continued selections at Wallaby level continue to bear fruit from the Tree Of Bewilderment.

I've noticed this is the third thread you have taken aim at Simmons, give us a name of who is a credible replacement, and explain to us how Simmons form on the EOYT was sub standard and has caused you to be 'bewildered'..

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I get why you defend Simmons so fervently, TOCC, I do. I don't think people question his talent. It's more about his attitude. He could be so much more than he is, but he keeps on doing dumb shit. I'd rather an average player playing with heart than a talented guy who does that. At least you would know that he was giving his all for his country.

T

TOCC

Yet he was still one of the best Wallaby forwards on the 2013 EOYT..

If he was performing badly at test level then i would agree, but the fact is that he isn't, if we really want to have this debate about him doing dumb shit and bringing the team down then it would be reflected in the player ratings.. Have a look through the GAGR player ratings for 2013, use a basis for argument rather then some nonchalant opinion that he doesn't play with heart because of some of the penalties he gives away.

He is of a similar mould to Nathan Sharpe, now that is a comment i know is going to grossly offend some Force fans, but the reality is that Sharpe was selected for his line out prowess and because he had a relatively high work rate. He wasn't a damaging runner, nor would he hit a ruck and send players flying, but he made plenty of tackles, was involved at plenty of rucks and provided clean ball from the line out.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
He is of a similar mould to Nathan Sharpe, now that is a comment i know is going to grossly offend some Force fans, but the reality is that Sharpe was selected for his line out prowess and because he had a relatively high work rate. He wasn't a damaging runner, nor would he hit a ruck and send players flying, but he made plenty of tackles, was involved at plenty of rucks and provided clean ball from the line out.

It doesn't offend me as much as you might think. When Sharpie was playing for QLD I thought about him in similar terms to Simmons: talented bloke, who could be a little lazy and at times dumb. Taking the Force captaincy was the best thing for him in the end and made him into a much better and more responsible player IMHO. I also understand the view that he was picked primarily as a lineout forward. Fair enough, that was actually the case. It so happened that he developed the other parts of his game too. Hopefully Rob can do the same, because I think he could develop into a formidable player.

T

Tip

Aussie locks who have left in the past year: Douglas, Timani, Pyle, Kimlin
Timani isn't a loss as he was a second rower who couldn't jump. We have a much more effective version of that in Skelton. We already have ready made replacements in Jones, Carter and perhaps Coleman as well.

In reality, the ARU should only be paying top ups for three locks. They've banked on Simmons & Horwill and are keen to canvass their options for the 3rd spot. They'll probably just give it to whoever plays enough minutes to receive the auto top-up.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Aussie locks who have left in the past year: Douglas, Timani, Pyle, Kimlin
Timani isn't a loss as he was a second rower who couldn't jump.

I don't see how this is a thing.

Two Wallaby coaches rated him highly enough to pick him in the Wallabies ahead of all those other blokes.

He was a starting Super Rugby lock who was probably the strongest scrummaging lock we had at that time.

Of course he's a loss to Australian rugby.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I've noticed this is the third thread you have taken aim at Simmons, give us a name of who is a credible replacement, and

I'm glad you asked - in no particular order: Pyle, Neville, Douglas, Skelton, Jones, Fardy, Coleman, Wykes.

For me its more about how he watches the rucks instead of lining up his opponent to smash him, and then fails to do so anyway because physically he still thinks he's back at school dominating the little blokes. And this comes from Link's plan to play fast rugby rather than hard rugby. When the Reds backline clicked, the mobility of their forward pack - rather than their abrasiveness at the set piece - made provincial rugby look easy. But Super Rugby isn't Test rugby, where forwards are far more important.

And I don't get this lineout general shit. Really? We didn't seem to steal a lot of ball, which is where true lineout talent lies. Winning your own ball should be bread and butter, but taking a lineout where you don't know the call is far tougher.

explain to us how Simmons form on the EOYT was sub standard and has caused you to be 'bewildered'..
Explain to me how his form this year is in any way deserving of a Test spot.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Strange call to depart. You'd think he would wait around till next season or two to see if he got picked in the wobs. Year before a World Cup is odd. I get the year after. As I said before I guess he and Pyle figure they come back at 26-27 and have four years in the wallabies.
On one hand leave now and get huge bucks and return if and when Aus rugby jn a better position to pay more money ( post better broadcasting deal )
If they can't you stay in Europe established. I can't imagine I would ditch a World Cup when I am in contention tho.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Strange call to depart. You'd think he would wait around till next season or two to see if he got picked in the wobs. Year before a World Cup is odd. I get the year after. As I said before I guess he and Pyle figure they come back at 26-27 and have four years in the wallabies.
On one hand leave now and get huge bucks and return if and when Aus rugby jn a better position to pay more money ( post better broadcasting deal )
If they can't you stay in Europe established. I can't imagine I would ditch a World Cup when I am in contention tho.
both might have already had a tap on the shoulder from link ?;)

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
both might have already had a tap on the shoulder from link ?;)

I don't think strange. I think the player are think very much like you or would. The lure of $$ is tempting to anyone, I know if I was offers more dollars and with reasonable conditions and job security it would be hard to resist. Then there is what Mowen said about the problem with the Wallabies if you don't get the top ups - you are fighting for a pay-day that may not come. The reality is this is a job, no more no less to these guys.

Lealiifano's views - The WC may not be the lure the ARU thinks it is:
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rug...labies-leaving-for-europe-20140506-zr5bq.html

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Big statements from Lilo. The other press I read today had Lilo and To'omua a certain re-sign now they have rejected the Rebels offers.

In regards to losing Douglas, we need to test Fardy at lock vs the Frogs. If it works, our loose forward stocks are a bit healthier than Lock and we can afford to play him there.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
You never read the papers before?
That's what they all say,in the middle of negotiations.

Its actually interesting timing with the rumour mill doing overtime atm (twitter tonight on GAGR) they have advised the Rebels they have no interest in moving and are finalising contracts with the Brumbies. I think the "home town journo" has held the articles off until the negotiations were pretty much complete to avoid exactly your thoughts ILTW,

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
But that article specifically states that
1 he is in the middle of negotiations
2 he is unsure what he will do.
Just like every other article about players futures when they are negotiating.
Maybe the journo sat on it for a while,waiting for a slow news day?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He hasn't really said a whole lot. There's a whole lot of fence sitting and taking both sides of the argument saying it's a personal decision.

The journalist has used that as a chance to make the assumption that the RWC isn't that big of a lure.