• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Douglas has done a lot of the ugly, unseen work quite well this year. As he usually does most years.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Douglas is the closest your guys have come to having a like for like replacement for Vickerman. Similar sort of player. Does his job and doesn't seagull.

People get confused. They see these loose locks running around in the backline and think they re good because they see them often. That can be the guy next to Douglas.

He is a big loss.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Douglas is the closest your guys have come to having a like for like replacement for Vickerman. Similar sort of player. Does his job and doesn't seagull.

People get confused. They see these loose locks running around in the backline and think they re good because they see them often. That can be the guy next to Douglas.

He is a big loss.

I know his abilities. I'm not confused He has been very good for the Tahs previously and I think if has shown glimpses of potential for the Wallabies. But I haven't seen much of it this year. Stats seem to back it up.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I wouldn't compare him to vickerman at all.

He is a loss, but I agree with RugbyReg - the ARU cant afford to offer him a blank cheque. The number one focus on the ARU at the moment is getting their finances in order, and at least for the next few years, being frugal with their spending. The fact is Douglas's absence will open the door for someone else.

He's been pretty good this season (and last), but the stats have him down the list of locks in 2014. He hasn't been a particularly effective line-out technician, his work rate is well below the likes of Horwill, Simmons, Jones and Carter, nor does he make the type of physical impact that Skelton does. I'm not saying he hasn't had his moments but the fact is as bad as the Queensland Reds have been playing, the likes of Simmons and Horwill still have more lineout takes, tackles made , runs and less tackles missed than Douglas.

Sad to see him go and wish we could keep him but the reality is that ARU cannot and should not throw money at him.

Last night Georgina said there wasn't much difference between the Leinster offer and the tahs' offer. If the chance of playing in the world cup was not enough of a cherry on top for Kane then he clearly doesn't have the burning desire to play for the wallabies. Adios

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
As Vickerman's biggest fan.. he has nothing on the great man but I was hoping he would go close.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I wouldn't compare him to vickerman at all.

He's been pretty good this season (and last), but the stats have him down the list of locks in 2014. He hasn't been a particularly effective line-out technician, his work rate is well below the likes of Horwill, Simmons, Jones and Carter, nor does he make the type of physical impact that Skelton does. I'm not saying he hasn't had his moments but the fact is as bad as the

I am not saying he is as good as Vickerman. I am saying he plays a very similar role.

Right now if I had the choice of Douglas or Horwill I would not think twice. Horwill is miles behind the 8 ball and a shadow of the player he was three or more years ago. He is decent Super Rugby level, no more.

I would pair Douglas with a Jones or even a Fardy. Simmons at a push but he needs a brain. He must be the most stupid forward in the entire comp. Either does not understand the laws or does not care.

Screw the stats. They are often misleading and only part of the story.

People think Douglas isn't good because he doesn't carry as much. I like to watch what people do at ruck time and off the ball. Right now there are few forwards in Australia as effective as hitting rucks like Douglas. Other guys like Jones can take the glory in midfield but you need someone at the coal face.

At this stage I would see Skelton as a bench player at best but I don't think he is ready for test rugby and I would wager that Link thinks the same.

HE worries me a lot more against the Boks than any of the guys you mention.

Po'sCock

Frank Row (1)
On an entirely different note...

I took the opportunity to dick around and assemble an Australian expats XV, to look at the depth of potential lost overseas. The leagues I've covered are the English Premiership, French Top 14 and D2, all the Celtic League teams (Ireland, Wales, Scotland and Italy), and the Japanese Top League.

Behold your mighties and despair:

1 Dan Palmer - Grenoble
2 Huia Edmonds - Gloucester
3 Salesi Ma’afu - Northampton
4 Sitaleki Timani - Montpellier
5 Mark Chisholm - Bayonne
6 Peter Kimlin - Grenoble
7 George Smith - Suntory Sungoliath
8 David Lyons - Stade Francais
9 Josh Valentine - Narbonne
10 Berrick Barnes - Panasonic Wild Knights
11 Digby Ioane - Stade Francais
12 Matt Giteau - Toulon
13 Tyrone Smith - Narbonne
14 Drew Mitchell - Toulon
15 James O’Connor - London Irish
16 James Hilterbrand - Edinburgh
17 John Ulugia - Bourg-en-Bresse
18 Anthony Hegarty - Grenoble
19 Dean Mumm - Exeter
20 Leroy Houston - Bath
21 Richard Kingi - Stade Francais
22 Brock James - Clermont Auvergne
23 Alfi Mafi - Brive

Honourable mentions go to Ben Hand (Grenoble), Dan Heenan (Panasonic Wild Knights), Mitch Chapman (NTT Docomo), Julian Salvi (Leicester), Jono Jenkins (Narbonne), Josh Holmes (Bourgoin), Matt Henjak (Dax), Afusipa Taumoepeau (Pau), Junior Pelesasa (Agen), Chris Siale (Tarbes), Craig Wing (Kintetsu?), Brackin Karauria-Henry (NTT Shining Arcs) Ben Jacobs (London Wasps), Peter Hewat (Suntory Sungoliath).

There are a fair bunch of players who didn't make the cut above - mostly ex-mungoes, journeymen, bright young things, or names which I'd never bloody heard before.

While you can draw any number of conclusions from the above, it's notable that almost all of the first XV named are ex-Wallabies. The long-time argument that Australia doesn't have the playing depth to support five Super Rugby teams does seem to fly in the face of the above. The real issue isn't depth (apart from perhaps our front-row stocks), but in our ability to retain talent.

T

Train Without a Station

The real issue is money. Those players are not overseas because they cannot get a contract in Australia. They are overseas because they cannot get one at the value they can get over there. for 99%, it's that simple. Until there is more money in the game in Australia per team, this will not change.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
to be honest, not many of them I'd take at the Reds. Perhaps Kimlin and Timani. Oh and Palmer but he's about to retire anyway.

Po'sCock

Frank Row (1)
The real issue is money. Those players are not overseas because they cannot get a contract in Australia. They are overseas because they cannot get one at the value they can get over there. for 99%, it's that simple. Until there is more money in the game in Australia per team, this will not change.

Mate, I couldn't agree more. While you've got the odd one out who's moved for lifestyle - see Mowen, Ben - most of those blokes left for better coin, or because they couldn't get a chance with the Wallabies here.

Reg, you wouldn't take Ioane, Mitchell or O'Connor? Although it's becoming a trite line, you blokes have suffered for a lack of strike power this season.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
One of the reasons veterans go overseas is that it represents a new stage of their career rather than a regression to a previous stage both in terms of playing success and remuneration.

Whilst some players will be happy to stay in Australia and drop down the pecking order from being a starting Wallaby to not making the squad and then slowly dropping in important to their Super Rugby team, many understandably won't do that.

Going overseas gives them the opportunity to try something new and further their career on a parallel path.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
to be honest, not many of them I'd take at the Reds. Perhaps Kimlin and Timani. Oh and Palmer but he's about to retire anyway.

Has retired and gone to Uni. His foot injury never really got better. Think it was referenced in a Clyde Rathbone article a few months ago.