• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

T

tranquility

Heres one.

Eddie Bredenhann. Former Australian Schoolboy and U20, when home to SA to try to crack it over there, can't find much on him in recent times. With the dearth of top quality halfbacks, he should be considered bringing home. Maybe the Saffas have taught him how to box kick.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
So do you think Kane was holding out until he was told by Link that he wasn't going to be wearing gold this year?

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
Heres one.

Eddie Bredenhann. Former Australian Schoolboy and U20, when home to SA to try to crack it over there, can't find much on him in recent times. With the dearth of top quality halfbacks, he should be considered bringing home. Maybe the Saffas have taught him how to box kick.
Thought I heard somewhere he was back in Australia captain coaching a team in QLD Country somewhere, Mackay maybe? A loss for the Aus rugby system

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
WTF? Can our Irish friends please advise what happened to IRFU's "1 player per position across the 4 provinces" regulation. Has it been rescinded or have the provs found a way to evade it?

It's not and as far as I know never has been across the 4 provinces. It's across the 3 top provinces, Munster, Ulster & Leinster.

Connacht are exempt from the regulation in a bid to improve their standing and the quality of local players they produce. In recent years this has proved to be successful on both fronts.

The only other foreign lock in the 3 top provinces is Johann Muller who played his last game for Ulster at the weekend and has now retired.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
anyone else pick up the comment in the Australian yesterday about the Reds exploring offering sabbaticals?
I think this is imminent in Australian rugby and will be restricted to Japan.
the big guns of aussie rugby won't be leaving super rugby if they can fly up to japan for a couple of seasons and pocket an extra $500k.

ARU also needs to address third party sponsorship restrictions.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
The Reds can explore it all they like, if the ARU don't agree then it won't happen. I believe that it came to a head in Genia's negotiations last year.

T

TOCC

I think its about time the ARU accepted reality, it has worked well for New Zealand in retaining the like of McCaw and Carter, outside of the next RWC cycle the ARU will need to seriously contemplate letting some of the players take sabbaticals.

As a Reds fan, i wouldn't be too upset about a top player like Genia or Quade heading over to France for a sabattical if they were signed to return the following year...

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
anyone else pick up the comment in the Australian yesterday about the Reds exploring offering sabbaticals?
I think this is imminent in Australian rugby and will be restricted to Japan.
the big guns of aussie rugby won't be leaving super rugby if they can fly up to japan for a couple of seasons and pocket an extra $500k.

ARU also needs to address third party sponsorship restrictions.
When we discuss and suggest things here, and then you read about it in the media you often wonder if it was picked up by a troll.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I think its about time the ARU accepted reality, it has worked well for New Zealand in retaining the like of McCaw and Carter, outside of the next RWC cycle the ARU will need to seriously contemplate letting some of the players take sabbaticals.

As a Reds fan, i wouldn't be too upset about a top player like Genia or Quade heading over to France for a sabattical if they were signed to return the following year.
I would prefer Japan so the seasons don't conflict. SBW spent time in Jpn before returning to the roosters.
I think making an effort with Jpn could provide long term benefits.
I think I recall reading an article about Aust separating from Super and joining Jpn,
It should not be lost they are hosting the RWC in the not to distant future.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
When we discuss and suggest things here, and then you read about it in the media you often wonder if it was picked up by a troll.

i dont understand what you've said here.
sounds as though Genia will be gone for 2016/2017 either with ARU blessing or without. (in the herald sun today).

easy solution i think. senior players able to sabbatical to japan for up to two years in the two years after a world cup.
i don't really get the issue. they don't miss wallaby tests and they stay in aus rugby.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
i dont understand what you've said here.
sounds as though Genia will be gone for 2016/2017 either with ARU blessing or without. (in the herald sun today).

easy solution i think. senior players able to sabbatical to japan for up to two years in the two years after a world cup.
i don't really get the issue. they don't miss wallaby tests and they stay in aus rugby.

Whether it be development and ideas with regards to the NRC, whether it be new laws to be trialed, or even now that it is a global game sabaticals might need to be factored into contracts if it helps retain players for the long term.

Example - spending an Off season in Japan may be able to reduce the exodus that is being seen over recent months.

All I'm saying is some great ideas get floated here, maybe some of them get picked up and implemented.

At his best I'm a Genia fan, he's not playing well at the moment though.

T

TOCC

Whether it be development and ideas with regards to the NRC, whether it be new laws to be trialed, or even now that it is a global game sabaticals might need to be factored into contracts if it helps retain players for the long term.

Example - spending an Off season in Japan may be able to reduce the exodus that is being seen over recent months.

All I'm saying is some great ideas get floated here, maybe some of them get picked up and implemented.

At his best I'm a Genia fan, he's not playing well at the moment though.

I think regardless of where they go you are going to have to rule them out for a large portion of the super rugby season...

A Wallaby wouldn't be able to go from Super Rugby -> Spring Tour -> Japan Top League -> Super Rugby in the course of 12 months... It would be too taxing on the player.

I don't see much wrong with saying to 'player x', at the conclusion of the 2016 Super Rugby Season/Rugby Championship you are free to sign for 1 season with a team of your choosing, but we expect you to be available for Wallaby selection by the 2017 Rugby Championship.

That's a whole season in the French Top14, yes he might be walking straight back into a test jersey but if he is signed for the remainder of the season and the 2018 season then who cares? He has earned a nice little $$ bonus, the ARU has retained a player and only missed a Spring tour, the super rugby team gets a player back after 1 season.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It also works in contradiction with Wallaby top ups etc. If the players we're thinking about giving the option to play a season overseas are amongst our top stars anyway, they'll be on a Wallaby top up and sending them overseas will represent poor value for money, particularly if they return overdone from not having a proper off season.

The biggest area where we're losing players is those who are established Super Rugby players and somewhere on the fringe of Wallaby selection. Hard to know how that can be solved given we can't pay top ups to everyone.