• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

T

TOCC

In terms of selecting players on form, I'm going to use the QLD State of Origin side as an example because it truly is a great example of how persistence and continuity at the selection table can pay dividends.

Players like Darius Boyd who perform poorly at NRL level are known performers at origin level, at times guys like Dale Cherry Evans has been the in form halfback at club level but is a bench player at origin level..

There are plenty of other players who on form don't deserve their position but when placed in the correct environment justify their selections...

I think form counts for a lot , but at the same time if a player has a history of performing well at that level, then justifiably he is worth selecting again..

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Based on what?

You make a good point, maybe losing players like Douglas, Longbottom, Kimlin etc is unavoidable and the current system is working as good as can be expected. It's easy to lose a player you think is important and feel the system isnt working, but it's never going to be perfect.

T

Train Without a Station

Exactly.

The system has to achieve multiple things:

*keep as many top line players as possible
*make the wallabies as strong as possible
*keep super rugby as strong as possible
*do this all within the existing funds being offered.

Unless you can propose a way that a departing player can get paid more, without spending more money, taking into account existing contracts, and not at the expense of an equal or better player, you can't say the system is broken.

To achieve everything required within the financial limitations available the system is close to the best there is. Only by compromising one of those principles which could have unknown unintended consequences, it cannot really be improved.

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
I don't know if it would be great for the wallabies to pick overseas players but I know it could be an argument to avoid them to move overseas...

Since the Pumas are playing in the Rugby Championship, the number of Argentinians in the Top 14 has decreased. Clubs don't want to pay anymore players who are unavailable until mid octobre and then again in november. For example Juan Imhoff was burnt for the Racing and started to play well after the Six Nations break after some rest. Same in Montpellier where Juan Figallo came back injured and now has not the right to play in France and has moved to England.

I am not sure Toulon would hire again the likes of Giteau, Mitchell and O'Connor if they cannot be available for the team 100% of the time.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Unless you can propose a way that a departing player can get paid more, without spending more money, taking into account existing contracts, and not at the expense of an equal or better player, you can't say the system is broken.
Proposal, because you asked
1. Making more money.
I'll use the Reds as an example, 2010, 2011, 2012 with the rugby played, and engaging the supporter base.
The last Bledisloe in Jpn cleared 3.8m for the ARU, surely our NRC winner playing their winner (likes of Suntory for example) over there would be a money spinner (the Fox may really like).
I'm sure there are many more ideas.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I don't know if it would be great for the wallabies to pick overseas players but I know it could be an argument to avoid them to move overseas.

Since the Pumas are playing in the Rugby Championship, the number of Argentinians in the Top 14 has decreased. Clubs don't want to pay anymore players who are unavailable until mid octobre and then again in november. For example Juan Imhoff was burnt for the Racing and started to play well after the Six Nations break after some rest. Same in Montpellier where Juan Figallo came back injured and now has not the right to play in France and has moved to England.

I am not sure Toulon would hire again the likes of Giteau, Mitchell and O'Connor if they cannot be available for the team 100% of the time.
Read a good post, then look what club he supports - say no more.

T

Train Without a Station

Proposal, because you asked
1. Making more money.
I'll use the Reds as an example, 2010, 2011, 2012 with the rugby played, and engaging the supporter base.
The last Bledisloe in Jpn cleared 3.8m for the ARU, surely our NRC winner playing their winner (likes of Suntory for example) over there would be a money spinner (the Fox may really like).
I'm sure there are many more ideas.

At the same time Dave, wouldn't we all rather any extra revenue used to not charge teams a $200 surcharge and perhaps spread across the lower end of he game (into things like the NRC and junior gold cup) instead of spreading the guaranteed payments to include fringe players?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
At the same time Dave, wouldn't we all rather any extra revenue used to not charge teams a $200 surcharge and perhaps spread across the lower end of he game (into things like the NRC and junior gold cup) instead of spreading the guaranteed payments to include fringe players?

Yep all for building bottom up as the bigger the bottom the taller it grows.

T

Train Without a Station

The bigger the bottom, the less important these fringe players are due to there being more of them

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
source plaese ?

Man i hope not.
But top quality players who are in a squad yes, but playing sub districts level rugby away from home.

Not saying he would have stayed in Aust. but gee this idea of - we will not let you go back to your club has had a number of these players going off shore. MAYBE.

Family / Mates & Good Rugby aren't $$$$$ but can play a part

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Tala Grey did similar as Foketi may be about to do.

A couple of years in Biarritz for him, and back to Sydney in to the Tahs, although not much game time this year behind Palu.

T

Train Without a Station

Dave, that's a cop out. All NRL and AFL signed players do the same thing. In fact, all professional players in all sports around the world do the same thing. And if he's not in the 1st team at Bayonne he will be doing something similar.

He was employed by the Rebels, he is obligated to play in their system.

Not having a dig at you, but this attitude towards entitlement from players and clubs needs to stop. It's directly against professionalism.