• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Maybe he feels like he was mistreated in the past and now owes nothing to Australian Rugby.

I don't think so. He was a highly talented player who was selected at national level at pretty much every stage all the way up. He places more value on his earnings capabilities than he does on the gold jersey. He's entitled to do that as much as we don't like it.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
We can't expect everyone to stay and play Super Rugby. There is always speculation but rarely do you hear directly from the players. People just assume RA have f*cked up and not paid enough.

Ben Mowen for example moved for lifestyle factors (young family and too much travel). Dan Vickerman wanted to study. Some people are just different. Just as with our lives, not everyone takes the highest paying job or takes the expected career path. Not everyone ranks the Wallaby jersey as highly as some of us.

Sure would I like to keep all the players but most being lost are second tier. RA rarely loses first tier players they want to keep.

John S

Desmond Connor (43)
Must be SMH trying to hook readers..... but I still think he's a loss. Not as big as the article makes out, but still enough of a loss (may be felt in later years, who knows?)

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
I find it very insulting when players are accused of disrespecting the wallabies jersey if they choose to sign overseas. One could easily argue the ARU are disrespecting the wallabies by using possible selection as an incentive to accept less money to stay.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I find it very insulting when players are accused of disrespecting the wallabies jersey if they choose to sign overseas. One could easily argue the ARU are disrespecting the wallabies by using possible selection as an incentive to accept less money to stay.
In professional sports how can you disrespect the jersey by chasing money. If someone left an accounting firm for more money no one cares. It’s a job now, not amateur days. For those without a medical degree or other guaranteed high paying job to fall back on, the should be maximising coin while they can.