• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Letting him go was the dumbest fucking thing the Tahs did, in a litany of dumb shit.
As compared to completely ignoring the need to attract, retain or develop a supply of decent locks????

I’m not sure it’s even in the top 5 to be honest. And I rate Hunt. Or at least I did. Even in his last year at the Tahs (when he was reasonable to be fair) he was a shadow of the player he used to be.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
As compared to completely ignoring the need to attract, retain or develop a supply of decent locks????

I’m not sure it’s even in the top 5 to be honest. And I rate Hunt. Or at least I did. Even in his last year at the Tahs (when he was reasonable to be fair) he was a shadow of the player he used to be.
I like derpus as he is direct with his views so you know where he stands. Me I can sometime be derpus but sometimes the fence sitter where I think both TSR and Derpus have valid points. But given spent under the salary cap by $1m I feel underlies just general stupidity moment for tahs recruiting and retention strategy last year given only tahs spent under the salary cap and then sacked the coach early into super rugby au despite reasonable finish to super rugby au last season with acceptance of what was weak squad.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’m having a playful dig at him to be honest. I agree with the view that letting Hunt go wasn’t a great move, especially if it is true that they could have kept him but instead retained Moroa.

Along the sliding list of stupid decisions it’s sometimes hard to know where to rank things. But if you looked at the roster at the start of the year having two quality locks was the biggest glaring issue. And this has been a disaster brewing since 2014.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I’m having a playful dig at him to be honest. I agree with the view that letting Hunt go wasn’t a great move, especially if it is true that they could have kept him but instead retained Moroa.

Along the sliding list of stupid decisions it’s sometimes hard to know where to rank things. But if you looked at the roster at the start of the year having two quality locks was the biggest glaring issue. And this has been a disaster brewing since 2014.

Tahs had a rather disasterous recruiting and player development strategy post 2014 after Cheika departed. Tahs could do worse then copy successful recruiting and player development strategies of the brumbies (I am in total admiration of how the brumbies in the smallest popn catchment of ACT and yet continually recruit and develop factory line of quality players), the reds and more recently the Force (as short term fix to improve their quality by imports and experienced old hands has proved a masterstoke).

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

One had a contract for 2021, the other didn't

And Hunt was quite injury prone in 2020, I can understand the reticence to not spend very limited cash on a rehab patient

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
My mistake - I thought reports over the off-season were that they extended Moeroa’s contract.

Agree in Hunt’s defence - which is a shame because he is used to be a very dependable defender in league, but in rugby he seemed to always want to shoot up and he’d miss the tackle as often as he made it.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
My mistake - I thought reports over the off-season were that they extended Moeroa’s contract.

Agree in Hunt’s defence - which is a shame because he is used to be a very dependable defender in league, but in rugby he seemed to always want to shoot up and he’d miss the tackle as often as he made it.

So like the Tahs defensive line?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

I wouldn't be surprised if he was playing injured, but it was well below his previous standards

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/spo...ed-massive-shake-up-around-foreign-players-v1

Non-capped foreign players in Japan may need to do a Gunter/Cornelsen and declare for the Brave Blossoms if they want to be a part of the new domestic comp they are putting together to replace the current system.

Increase in foreign players on the field from 2-3 though.

Overall probably will have a small effect of creating pressure toward Top 14, Pro D2 (or maybe even MLR in the US?) for our "depth" players (Premiership is becoming more insular, and the English Championship has basically ceased to be professional). Capped internationals will still be welcome in Japan and able to cash in

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Plus the new Japanese comp is actively pushing the idea of big salaries, when it was getting going they were saying not adverse to see a couple of million a year players around, reasoning is for young kids un Japan to aspire to it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Non-capped foreign players in Japan may need to do a Gunter/Cornelsen and declare for the Brave Blossoms if they want to be a part of the new domestic comp they are putting together to replace the current system.

Does this mean anything though?

You could declare as being on the pathway to being a Japanese representative but until you are actually eligible and then get selected you aren't captured by their national union.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Kepu is returning to NZ to look after his parents and his wife's parents, will turn out for Counties Manukau. London Irish never got much value out of him unfortunately.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I always rated Sione. Felt he could of done a great job at 13 long term for the Rebels. His brother is a talent above him and with the family eligible for 4 different countries will need to give him opportunities at some stage as well to show his wares otherwise another country will snap him up. There is another brother again that’s a good talent as well