• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
I could see him playing 8 very well. He’s got a great motor. Plays 80mins at Prop most weeks in League. Haven’t seen him in defensive trouble either (high shots)

He was trying to get a 1m a year deal earlier this year which the Broncos have said no to at the moment. Agent shaking the tree in my opinion

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Yeh, highly doubtful Payne walks away from the NRL. Any ‘news’ about him looking outside that comp is just to drum up more value.

I live nearby the Broncos facilities, walk past quite often and know a number of the staff there. Payne is a protected species, barely trains (aside from gym sessions), no doubt he’s a freak of nature athlete, but he’s become so valuable to teams that he pretty much dictates his own schedule and gets paid $800k+ to do so. He isn’t leaving that lifestyle.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
I like Hass potentially coming to Union, if he is no good it’s a French club that has wasted their time and money on him. If he does come good we can cap him as a wallaby

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I like Hass potentially coming to Union, if he is no good it’s a French club that has wasted their time and money on him. If he does come good we can cap him as a wallaby
This is a view I've always held with any leaguie going to play rugby in Japan or France. If they are good after two years pay them and get them home. No wasted money on development.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Seems it's been a while since we had a "NRL player X has been offered twice his current salary to play rugby in France" controversy. Are the French becoming smarter about who they chase? I can't imagine that NRL agents are getting any smarter.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
If you judge him just on his on-field performances then he is definitely up there as one of the great forwards, probably the best forward currently in League, for his age that is a massive achievement. He is a freak athlete. I saw a game where he dived and picked up a ball on the ground like a Beauden Barrett expect he is 5 times his size. It is unusual for a guy his size to be that athletic.

Based on his skillset, I could see him being one of the great number 8's and he could get his body low quickly to make turnovers.

But I agree with all the other posts, lots off off-field and attitude issues. Also, let France/Japan develop him.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Will Penisini, currently playing centre for the Parramatta Eels has gone on record as saying he would be open to play rugby again.

Grew up playing rugby and went to Kings School in Sydney, played three seasons of 1st XV, including captaining the side.

I could see him being targeted post-RWC23 if we have a bit of an exodus of centres. He's an ex-teammate of Joseph Sua'ali'i so I wonder if RA could try and package them up.

Penisini definitely isn't tearing the NRL up, but he's locked down a starting spot with Parra and looks good.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Will Penisini, currently playing centre for the Parramatta Eels has gone on record as saying he would be open to play rugby again.

Grew up playing rugby and went to Kings School in Sydney, played three seasons of 1st XV, including captaining the side.

I could see him being targeted post-RWC23 if we have a bit of an exodus of centres. He's an ex-teammate of Joseph Sua'ali'i so I wonder if Rugby Australia could try and package them up.

Penisini definitely isn't tearing the NRL up, but he's locked down a starting spot with Parra and looks good.
Think he'd be a great option.

Only his 2nd year in the NRL and he's 20. He would be in the top half of the Centres in the NRL currently. Very aggressive defender and good ability to beat a man 1v1.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)

I could see him being targeted post-RWC23 if we have a bit of an exodus of centres. He's an ex-teammate of Joseph Sua'ali'i so I wonder if Rugby Australia could try and package them up.

I know his father is a Union man, former shute shield player and longsuffering waratahs member, and a great bloke too.

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)

He would definitely be a good get. Both he and Sua'ali'i is the back line would be good. Sua'ali'i could certainly lock down FB.

Tazzmania

Ted Thorn (20)
Lachlan Shelley signed by Leicester from Eastwood, do not know much about the player is this one that slipped under the radar or does he have English roots?