• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
It’s a seperate discussion and not necessarily aimed at Levi, but it’s stupid to place restrictions on Australian players in other non Aussie super rugby teams. Any Australian player in Super Rugby Pacific should be eligible for the Wallabies.

Yeh I get the rule is in place historically to preserve the strength of Australian super rugby teams.

But the game is hurting here more than just a few struggling state franchises.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
93AE11CB-884F-4E33-9E11-66B1D953A410.jpeg

Tazzmania

Ted Thorn (20)
...and the previous Fox and now Stan rugby commentators get great joy from highlighting the Australian team players that are Fijian and talk about the Fijian doing this or that when playing for Australia, or often refer to our Fijians....

As an aside Nick Haining in the Scotland squad played his rugby for Cottesloe in Perth and played for the Western Force v British Lions 2013, left in 2014 for Scotland selected a year or two back already.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
All I can Say it is a sad day when it appears that National Jerseys are up for sale / barter on some very loose technicality that has been manufactured.
What happened to playing for your Country of Birth or where you live (citizenship)?

Like Tom Richards Des Connor, Topo Rodrigez, Matt Pini, Tiaan Strauss.

It's been going on for a century.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
All I can Say it is a sad day when it appears that National Jerseys are up for sale / barter on some very loose technicality that has been manufactured.
What happened to playing for your Country of Birth or where you live (citizenship)?

Yep Reg been going on for a long time, doesn't really make it seem right somehow. We have to live with it as always , just seems wrong with jumping between tier 1 teams.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Did you hear about the old bushie who went to hell and the devil got him a real hot spot and had him loading the coal furnace... the devil comes back in 50 years to see the bushie loving it... so the devil turns up the heat to double... the devil comes back in another 50 years and the bushie is more happy in all the heat and says tis just like the outback...

Ha the devil says and freezes the place to beyond cold with ice everywhere... win 50 years the devil comes back .... and the bushie says good to see Australia win the Bledisloe ... to which the devil says what are you talking about and the bushie says well hell has frozen over...

Craven Moorehead

Frank Row (1)

For me if a fella (or lady) moves and then completes the citizenship requirements for the new country then good for them.

The bit that really annoys me is the "heritage" clauses ie a grandfather / mother makes them eligible.

I know some of those named did actually sit out for a number of years to be eligible and fully resettled in Aus ie bought houses, started businesses, married Australians etc which actually all goes to show their committment to the country.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I find it hard to be too critical, because this is their livelihood and they only have a small window.

If making themselves eligible for another country converts into earning additional thousands of dollars per year in international match payments, so be it. At the end of the day it's talent identification issues that we are really questioning. Should Dempsey (and others) have rightfully fallen off RA's radar, that's the real talking point.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I find it hard to be too critical, because this is their livelihood and they only have a small window.

Absolutely. At the end of the day this needs to be about the players most of all because they're what makes the game. Jack Dempsey ran out of reasonable opportunities in Australia through both injury and form. He had an opportunity to play elsewhere because of his heritage, something we've used to select countless players.
If making themselves eligible for another country converts into earning additional thousands of dollars per year in international match payments, so be it. At the end of the day it's talent identification issues that we are really questioning. Should Dempsey (and others) have rightfully fallen off Rugby Australia's radar, that's the real talking point.

The answer to that is that Australia haven't made a mistake here. This guy played several seasons of pro rugby in Australia following that MOTM performance people keep referring to. No one was desperate to keep him here when he left.

Whether or not his current form would see him selected for Australia is largely moot. There are heaps of players who aren't eligible for selection because they aren't playing here who we would consider for test selection if we could. It just happens that Dempsey is the one fronting up for another country because he can and he's earned that privilege.

The concept about commitment to a country or national pride or whatever is irrelevant in my view. None of these guys step out onto the pitch without being absolutely committed to what they are doing.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I say I not comfortable with it happening is no way related to saying the players or unions are doing wrong, merely it a personal thing, and I have said I not keen on grandparent rule etc, seems a little wrong to me. But I repeat I in no way find the players are in wrong, they are earning their living as best they can.

Last edited:

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Seems a bit harsh? I haven't seen a lot of him in action since he moved but clearly he has the faith of his coach. We would have had a laugh when Mack Hansen's name was first mentioned for international duty.

When Mac 1st went got Connacht he literally started scoring tries for fun, it wasn't a surprise when we got the call up with what they had but you never would have picked it when he couldnt even get on the bench at the brumbies

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Seems a bit harsh? I haven't seen a lot of him in action since he moved but clearly he has the faith of his coach. We would have had a laugh when Mack Hansen's name was first mentioned for international duty.
More laughing at the situation of another Aussie setting the world alight and reaching a much higher ceiling than back home.

Completing the Dempsey, Hansen, Tuipuloto and (soon) Meafou XV.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
More laughing at the situation of another Aussie setting the world alight and reaching a much higher ceiling than back home.

Completing the Dempsey, Hansen, Tuipuloto and (soon) Meafou XV.
This is why we need more than 5 sides, while I get some players leave for money a lot leave for opportunities

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
This is why we need more than 5 sides, while I get some players leave for money a lot leave for opportunities

I'm not sure more sides would have kept Dempsey onshore, he thought he'd run his dash with the Wallabies.

Probably some merit for the others though.