• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Can't remember if it was wrt the Transfer clause or a slightly earlier review of Reg 8 but I do remember the PI Player Welfare Ass'n stating that removing the grandparent rule would significantly reduce the player pool for all the PI.

Maybe they forecast that out forward because I can’t name any PI wallabies who aren’t first or second generation, if there are it isn’t many. Maybe NZ has a few.

In either case the grandparent rule shouldn’t apply for the sake of switching nations once capped. Only way players should be allowed to switch nations after they’re already capped is through their own birth location, or parents.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep mate, when I first read you post I misunderstood it, but on reading it a bit more we ABs have had a few 3rd generation players, Bachop bros, Fanrk Bunce off top of head. And I agree about the grandparent rule, don't think it should ever apply really.

pissedoffihavetoregister

Bill Watson (15)
Yep mate, when I first read you post I misunderstood it, but on reading it a bit more we ABs have had a few 3rd generation players, Bachop bros, Fanrk Bunce off top of head. And I agree about the grandparent rule, don't think it should ever apply really.
I agree. It's going to be pretty hard to change it now tho.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
^ I’m unsure of the demographics for New Zealand, but the majority of those who identifly as PI in Australia are first or second generation. It would only be the minority who are third generation/qualify through grandparents. More specifically i don’t think there has been a PI ‘Wallaby’ who wasn’t first or second generation who would miss out through that rule

It's going to increase over time for the PI countries substantially though.

They are some of the largest diaspora as a proportion of people who would be considered to be of that nationality because so many people move for economic opportunity.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I see on socials that Quade’s brother has signed with Kinetsu in the Japanese comp.

I can’t seem to find much about him aside from that fact his name is Moses, he’s around 20yrs old and doesn’t look like Quade.

Do we have any mail on him?

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
For the good of his career, I really hope McDermott gets a gig overseas.

The 2023 contract end is probably Ill timed as so many other test and world cup players will be off contract.

Like Liam Gill, recognise where the wallabies actually see you, and that you'll make waaaaay more money touring the french and Japanese circuits.

Last edited:

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
For the good of his career, I really hope McDermott gets a gig overseas.

The 2023 contract end is probably Ill timed as so many other test and world cup players will be off contract.

Like Liam Gill, recognise where the wallabies actually see you, and that you'll make waaaaay more money touring the french and Japanese circuits.
Applies to basically any player but a handful.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I see on socials that Quade’s brother has signed with Kinetsu in the Japanese comp.

I can’t seem to find much about him aside from that fact his name is Moses, he’s around 20yrs old and doesn’t look like Quade.

Do we have any mail on him?

played 10 for SHS's Firsts XV to no great acclaim (either the team or him). Played a bit of league and then came back to play colts at Sunnybank and basically ended up in the 2s. Remember when the Force signed David Pocock and James O'Connor's brothers???

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
played 10 for SHS's Firsts XV to no great acclaim (either the team or him). Played a bit of league and then came back to play colts at Sunnybank and basically ended up in the 2s. Remember when the Force signed David Pocock and James O'Connor's brothers???

Yeh that’s pretty much the summary I expected when I couldn’t find much on him. Didn’t want to make any assumptions though.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Not really sure where to post this so figured I’d go here.

Looks like the US market is really being flooded with soccer at the moment in preparation for their FIFA World Cup in 2026. Word that Messi will be signing in the MLS and today an announced partnership between the UFC and La Liga Spanish football competition to provide more avenues into the US market. It’s a bit left field but an interesting approach.

The MLR obviously had some pretty major hiccups last year and will play a reduced team competition in 2023. It’ll be interesting to see if they can regain some momentum or if that comp starts to drop off in the next couple of years.

I know some posters have commented “soccer and rugby aren’t after the same players etc” but I don’t think that really matters at a grassroots level where you’re trying to get beginners into the game. They’re all competing for that secondary market and looks like soccer is really getting a decent boost.

Tazzmania

Ted Thorn (20)
It looks like Luke Morahan has just left Bristol to sign with Bayonne in France as injury cover for Gaëtan Germain

Had a great stint at Bristol

I believe close on 80 caps and 150 points in all the various compeitions for them

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
It looks like Luke Morahan has just left Bristol to sign with Bayonne in France as injury cover for Gaëtan Germain

Had a great stint at Bristol

I believe close on 80 caps and 150 points in all the various compeitions for them
I wonder if Bristol didn't want to hold him/had to downgrade his contact. Grass is alot greener in France if he can get full time there, but could be a stop gap before heading to Japan for next season.