• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Another big loss to Australia and we are in need of a fullback. We seem to lack patience with some of the youngsters.
I feel for the coaches though. Our depth was so poor that a lot of guys have been promoted ahead of time. I’m hoping that we are coming to the end of that.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
it's a tricky game coaching, you need immediate results but the current players aren't performing, you can't afford to invest time in a youngster who is a slow developer and if you ignore the young players you could miss one who could step up.
Our record in being able to manage young players has been a disaster. We either give them an opportuity at the wrong time ie against AB's or we ignore them and they go overseas and perform well. We see too many players being developed in Europe and never coming back. At least Jack Maddocks said he was a proud aussie who would play for his country again but doubted he'd be called on.

Tazzmania

Charlie Fox (21)
Looks like Folau Fainga may be off to Clermont

Screenshot 2022-12-15 164347.png

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I feel for the coaches though. Our depth was so poor that a lot of guys have been promoted ahead of time. I’m hoping that we are coming to the end of that.
TSR, What I dislike is the 'He's a great young player' to 'he's just not up to it' and after the second statement they get ignored, then we wonder why they went overseas and turn into a great player after all.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
FF (Folau Fainga'a) signed a two year deal with the Force, so maybe he's just looking to cut that a year early...

The president of ASM Clermont wants to take stock almost halfway through the season on the Clermont 2025 project. He should also bring good news with the formalization - as La Montagne announced last Thursday - of the arrivals of three big fish to bolster the pack next season, namely Australian international hooker Folau Fainga'a, New Zealand third-line center Pita Gus Sowakula and French international right prop Mohamed Haouas.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Another big loss to Australia and we are in need of a fullback. We seem to lack patience with some of the youngsters.
Agreed. He was a young bloke with all the skills to be our fullback; speed, good read of the game, big boot and good ball skills. A bit like Kellaway where he makes everything look easier than it is. He would’ve thrived if he had been on the wing in Super Rugby with an established fullback to guide him through the early part of his career and not promoted to the national team so early. Unfortunately that didn’t happen and he was put into a key position before his time, he’d make a mistake and you could see his confidence just leave him. At the time I felt bad for him.

Last edited:

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I don't think it's really a case of lacking patience.

Maddocks went from being a sometimes Wallaby to having the sort of form that didn't warrant a starting Super Rugby spot.

At that point of needing a new contract the dollar discrepancy between what a capped Wallaby can earn overseas vs what a Super Rugby team can justify committing to gets way out of kilter.