• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
It isn't about the top percentile, it is about those who may get mediocre wages as a middling player for 3 years, 5 years tops afters years of being paid subsistence wages

And are then just discarded, sure the elites could benefit but they are the exception
Is that any different to lots of others who try one career - get part way through uni or an apprenticeship and then, for a variety of reasons, change career paths? If they’ve only been a pro athlete for 5 yrs they do still have plenty of time to do other things.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
though it makes more sense as way of supporting representative athletes in semi-pro programs like the majority of Olympians.

Sportspeople are one of the groups of taxpayers that can use income averaging for their sports earnings in certain situations.

It's useful for people who most likely have another job to sustain them but then might have an unusually high amount of income from their sport in a particular year. Generally this would be from something like prize money.

I.e. if you're a runner who earns 50k a year from the job you do to keep yourself from being homeless but then you win $40k in the Stawell Gift one year you can spread that income over several years to smooth out the taxation burden.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It isn't about the top percentile, it is about those who may get mediocre wages as a middling player for 3 years, 5 years tops afters years of being paid subsistence wages

And are then just discarded, sure the elites could benefit but they are the exception

These schemes (i.e. the Ireland one) aren't about the sportspeople. It's about entertainment for the rest of the population and letting taxpayers subsidize sporting leagues essentially to be able to retain more of the local players such that the local competitions are stronger because less of the good players head overseas for more money.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Let’s be realistic here, the ability to spread taxable income over a wider period benefits the top percentile then it does those earning ‘mediocre’ incomes.

As BH said, there’s better ways to support athletes earning low incomes that doesn’t result in taxpayers inflating the after tax income of pro athletes in the top 1 percentile earning $250k plus.

yeah from a rugby perspective it would be nice to see players retained, but realistically giving tax breaks to all athletes including NRL and AFL players who are earning well above median wage just doesn’t pass the pub test.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
yeah from a rugby perspective it would be nice to see players retained, but realistically giving tax breaks to all athletes including NRL and AFL players who are earning well above median wage just doesn’t pass the pub test.

This is why a scheme like this will never happen in Australia. The bulk of the professional sportspeople who would benefit massively are at no real risk of heading overseas for more money because it simply isn't available (AFL, NRL, cricket).

It would benefit rugby here substantially but any scheme would apply for all sports.

In Ireland it works. The truly domestic sports like hurling and Gaelic football are lowly paid. Rugby and soccer players can generally earn a lot more by heading overseas and they are the players that get the benefit out of it. If hurling and Gaelic football were highly paid sports I bet the scheme wouldn't exist.

Hogie

Herbert Moran (7)
Around the 50 minute mark there were about 3 passages of play in quick succession where Tuipulotu, Dempsey and Hansen were all involved together in a collision. As an Aussie it was tough to see players raised and trained in Australia representing another nation. I personally feel that Scotland and Ireland should be forced to pay some kind of compensation to RA who invested in all 3 players through junior rugby programmes, including Junior Wallabies, only to represent another country. Appreciate that Wallabies are no martyrs and that we have had our fair share of players who have been developed elsewhere. On a related note, am hoping Mosese Tuipulotu is given a fair shot in super Rugby as it is no secret that the SRU will be throwing good coin at him, especially with how good his brother is playing.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Gonna be a tough sled to make them pay RA compensation when a player is out of contract so they choose to play there and then chooses to wait their time to qualify in the case of Dempsey or makes the call the represent the nation like the other 2. You are not obliged to play International Rugby if they ask.

Reactions: dru

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Tuipolotu was very badly handled by the Rebels management Dave Wessels in particular. Never given a chance to settle at AAMI and at each successive international he has been better and now an integral part of Scotland midfield.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Ironically the arrival of Tuipolotu has pushed out another Aussie from the Scotland team; Sam Johson

image.jpeg

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Ironically the arrival of Tuipolotu has pushed out another Aussie from the Scotland team; Sam Johson

View attachment 15466

He's an interesting one: I've loved what Sammy has done, especially in the Glasgow jersey and 19/20, but by 21/22 it felt like his caps were coming from a desire to keep the structure in place for Cam Redpath to slot back in when ready alongside Harris: and now of course Huwipulotu has come over the top to keep them both out.

I can't imagine anything like this would ever be on the cards but I'd have loved to see the Rebels or the Force having made some sort of play to be able to loan him in once the 6 Nations was over: no visas needed, on current form not in the best center pairing or necessarily the 2nd choice at the Warriors (Stafford McDowall being both training with the Scotland Squad and captaining Glasgow in Steyn's absence) and having missed a big chunk of the early season thus needing more exposed form for him to put himself back in international contention.

Hogie

Herbert Moran (7)
The next Aussie to represent Scotland has been added to the squad for the weekend. Charlie Savala who attended Scots College amd once of the Roosters.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230313_204848_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20230313_204848_Twitter.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 69

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Nah, professional athletes earning in the top percentile don‘t need bespoke or favourable tax treatment to reduce their tax paid, they just need to be smarter in how they invest that money. If they aren’t investing their money well to generate passive income in retirement then it’s not the taxpayer who should be propping them up, the players associations and governing bodies need to do more In educating the players. The same governing bodies are already subsidise hundreds of $millions in taxpayer funding each year through granets.
Some are smart with money and some ain't regardless of how much education you give them. Some can't help spending and some save.
My ex-partner's boys are a text book example of both sides of this.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
With the NRL wanting 20 teams by 2032 we have a real fight on our hands

The Reds will be under the pump to get exposure regardless of anymore new teams over the next couple of years.

The Broncos are poised to play for premierships probably from 2023 - 2026 with their current crop of players.

Dolphins are exceeding expectations early.

Reds first proper home game this weekend - Sunday arvo v Drua, the NRL games at Suncorp have drawn 40k+, I think a good crowd for the Reds will be 20k+ which is achievable but playing Sunday arvo will help.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
The Reds will be under the pump to get exposure regardless of anymore new teams over the next couple of years.

The Broncos are poised to play for premierships probably from 2023 - 2026 with their current crop of players.

Reds first proper home game this weekend - Sunday arvo v Drua, the NRL games at Suncorp have drawn 40k+, I think a good crowd for the Reds will be 20k+ which is achievable but playing Sunday arvo will help.
Dolphins first game was only 32k, with Broncs Cowboys being 43k.

Regardless, I sadly think the Reds will struggle to even get 20k coming off a loss - especially with a Broncs game the night before and a Dolphins game the following week. Cost of living will hit attendance hard this year I feel.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)

If they end up including the Jets then the Reds will really have their work cut out.

With a 4th team in Qld now and the potential of another 1.5 with the PNG team talked about being based in Cairns there is going to be significant investment in League in Queensland. Meaning that there will also be significant investment in Australian rules to try and not go backwards by comparison

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Dolphins first game was only 32k, with Broncs Cowboys being 43k.

Regardless, I sadly think the Reds will struggle to even get 20k coming off a loss - especially with a Broncs game the night before and a Dolphins game the following week. Cost of living will hit attendance hard this year I feel.
Will it? Members have already paid for their seats months back. So when you head out you don’t need to actually spend any money