• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Would it be a good middle ground to allow any players who have held Australian eligibility at some point to play Super Rugby without taking a foreign capped place? EG the Japanese Australians (Cornelson, Riley etc)?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Would it be a good middle ground to allow any players who have held Australian eligibility at some point to play Super Rugby without taking a foreign capped place? EG the Japanese Australians (Cornelson, Riley etc)?
Cornelson and Riley yes, because they are still eligible after stand down. Players like Hardwick and Dempsey should still be treated as Internationals because they can never represent Australia again.

I could see a long service exemption though - a player with 5+ years at a single super side could remain there without being considered an international player.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Is that true? I doubt it would ever happen (ever, not just Jack) but if Dempsey stood down for 3 years, can he not come back?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Is that true? I doubt it would ever happen (ever, not just Jack) but if Dempsey stood down for 3 years, can he not come back?

I don't believe so.

Birthright Transfer
8.6 A Player who has represented one Union (as set out in Regulation 8.2 to 8.4) may apply to represent a new Union provided that:
(i) the Player meets the eligibility criteria set out in Regulation 8.1(a) or 8.1(b) in relation to the new Union; and(ii) at least three years have passed since the Player last represented their former Union; and(iii) the approval of World Rugby is obtained.
8.7 Olympic Transfer
8.7.1 Where a Player who has represented an Olympic Sevens Team associated with a Union wishes to represent an Olympic Sevens Team associated with a different Union in an Olympic Event, the Player may apply to represent the new Olympic Sevens Team provided the Player has, in addition to meeting the requirements of Regulation 8.6;
(i) met the Olympic Eligibility requirements set out in Regulation 8.9; and(ii) obtained the approval of the International Olympic Committee and the relevant National Olympic Committee(s).
8.7.2 Only in respect of transfers to represent Olympic Teams, the standdown period of 36 months may be reduced or even cancelled with the agreement of the World Rugby and the National Olympic Committees concerned and by the IOC Executive Board, which takes into account the circumstances of each case but noting that a Player may not represent two different Unions or a Union and an Olympic Sevens Team(s) of a National Olympic Committee in the same Olympic Event(s).
Limitation on Transfers
8.8 A Player may only transfer pursuant to Regulation 8.6 or 8.7 once so that no Player may represent more than two Unions in their lifetime.

I think 8.8s impact on 8.7 could be challenged by a particularly eager individual, but I think 8.6 & 8.8 are pretty airtight.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Just a good thing to keep getting games into him. He seriously needs to get into starting at least 50% of the Super Rugby games a year if he's going to develop into a genuine option for the Wallabies come 25, 27. That's saying nothing about the quality of Lonergan and McInerney but the Brumbies excellent squad recruitment might be stunting the development of the individual. That's as much on the player as anyone else but just my thoughts on the kid.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
He's built like a NH Prop. Down year this last season with injury after I thought he had a good showing in 2022.

Go on Holz get in Pollards ear. "You look great in sky blue"

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
True. I like Mahe but I want the potential upside of the bloke to get mins every week in Super Rugby. So young still that the injuries are less concerning for me.

Reactions: mst

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
C266AC38-E073-43C4-8328-308202E61F4D.jpeg

I expect to see this more over the next few years between France and Japan.

As the money grows you only have to look at Soccer and how aggressive they go after talent.