• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Jake McIntyre hardly excels at any particular facet of the game. A solid all around flyhalf/fullback but if we rank someone like Bryce Hegarty as a C+ “Jack of all trades option”, I think McIntyre is D+.

A bit delusional from him to think he would be genuinely competing for a Wallaby shot.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Jake McIntyre hardly excels at any particular facet of the game. A solid all around flyhalf/fullback but if we rank someone like Bryce Hegarty as a C+ “Jack of all trades option”, I think McIntyre is D+.

A bit delusional from him to think he would be genuinely competing for a Wallaby shot.
Fair but he was still a bit of a scape goat at the Reds. The team was dogshit and expecting the 20yr old fly half is going to save the day is a little too much too handle.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
McIntyre’s career ended up exactly as his ability dictated. Not good enough for the next level but good enough to forge a 10yr pro career as a bits and pieces player across a few teams. Good luck to the guy and I completely get the confidence to believe he could of been international quality as no serious pro wouldn’t have the same confidence but reality is different.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
McIntyre wasn't ready when the Reds played him at 10 in a bad team. I'm not sure it really killed his development though. The alternative was probably spending several years not playing much before the team moved on from him anyway.

In the scheme of things it probably gave him the necessary exposure that allowed him to forge a reasonable professional career over the next decade.

Tazzmania

Charlie Fox (21)
Adam Coleman possibly off to off to Bordeaux

Rugby Rama:

According to our information, the Union Bordeaux-Bègles is about to strike a blow on the market: the Girondin club is in advanced contact with the Australian second line Adam Coleman (31 years old, 38 caps). The Wallaby, current player of the London Irish, is considered one of the most competitive number 5 on the international scene.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Fair but he was still a bit of a scape goat at the Reds. The team was dogshit and expecting the 20yr old fly half is going to save the day is a little too much too handle.
Jake and his career or lack thereof at the Reds is an interesting one. Those closer to the organisation can correct me if there's been any change.

But, look at the next generation of fly halves that have come after Jake in the Reds academy.

Carter Gordon, Lawson and now Tom Lynagh. Neither of them have been thrown to the wolves and from the outside, there has been considerable work done to ensure that.

Hell, wasn't that one of Carters main reasons of leaving, that he wanted more senior minutes whereas the Reds were trying to ensure his development wasn't impeded.

I don't know the bloke so I'm not going to shit on him. But there is a problem across all sports that we blow the egos of our "teenage prodigies" sky high which is detrimental to their development.

In the last couple of years it's been a wild ride to see two of the infamous "three amigos" completely transform from self interest to putting to team first. Hopefully it continues and the next generation of geriatrics can rub off on the next batch of young kids coming through.

Australian rugby needs more "Van Humphries" and Caderyn Neville's in these young teams.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Carter Gordon, Lawson and now Tom Lynagh. Neither of them have been thrown to the wolves and from the outside, there has been considerable work done to ensure that.

Both Lynagh and Gordon played Super Rugby at a younger age than Jake McIntyre was when he debuted.

I think they are just both significantly better players.

Without doubt the Reds didn't really have the support around McIntyre to help him succeed but likewise they didn't have someone better for the role.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Adam Coleman possibly off to off to Bordeaux

Rugby Rama:

According to our information, the Union Bordeaux-Bègles is about to strike a blow on the market: the Girondin club is in advanced contact with the Australian second line Adam Coleman (31 years old, 38 caps). The Wallaby, current player of the London Irish, is considered one of the most competitive number 5 on the international scene.

The way the English comms were saying in the La Rochelle V UBB game its pretty much a done deal.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Samu Kerevi moves to D-Rocks, so now Australia's best player is playing in the 2nd tier of Japanese Rugby. What a bizarre system, how is this possible.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
They'd play in Egypt if the $$$ is there.

Just imagined the Saudi PIF getting into Rugby. Wouldn't surprise me
But specifically the 2nd grade? I’m surprised there’s no pay discrepancy between the two grades.
I might open myself up completely here because I know fuck all about football but Messi played for PSG, now Miami, both in the top grade of their respective leagues.
Ronaldo doing the ultimate cash grabs for the oil soaked bone saws in Saudi Arabia, still plays for the top league there.

Isn't it odd that teams in the 2nd league are on par with the 1st? I guess it makes sense when none of the clubs' budgets are performance or member based.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I'm half taking the piss but it is slightly weird.

I would like talk to players about the difference in standard between the best teams in the lower division and mid table teams in the top league. Lower tier teams have to sign good players if they want to go up which should be their goal. Wonder if some players may be willing to take slightly less per season if it may mean they play more seasons due to it being less intense.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Dickie Hardwick has been signed by Ealing. Real shame, he's too good to be playing 2nd div. Would've loved to keep watching him if he went Premiership.

Though he's joining other Rebels cult hero Jordy Reid which will be a pretty great backrow. With Billy Twelvetrees in the backline they have pilferers everywhere.