• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Might've been a close score with a dramatic fightback by LaR, but, any game Peyper whistles is inevitably painful to watch. He'd have to be the worst "look-at-me" ref going around ATM.
And he always seems to be standing in the way.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Takes three defenders every time and makes a guaranteed few metres, pretty cool party trick
He's very targetted too, it's the stuff for the next couple of carries after him that's positive, usually a pretty quick place the ball too.
I get all that but I wonder how much it would work being reffed faster. A lot of walking and dawdling around set-pieces by many players. At the pace of some of the Super Rugby games, some of those guys would be on oxygen!

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I get all that but I wonder how much it would work being reffed faster. A lot of walking and dawdling around set-pieces by many players. At the pace of some of the Super Rugby games, some of those guys would be on oxygen!
What will the RWC be reffed at? Super speed or Heineken Cup speed? I suspect the latter, no

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Eddie noted last month that Big Willy needs to get fitter for test level because the European club standard is noticeably off the pace.

I thought he played really well last year for the Wallabies especially against Ireland and was bemused by some of the criticism/apathy.

Skelton is a point of difference player and must be playing for Australia in every match he is available.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Skelton's physicality is pretty important. He thumps people with his clean outs and is good at throwing players to the ground out of the ruck. I expect there's a significant element of his physical play wearing the opposition down.

I agree the pace was slow but the breakdown and tackle physicality from both teams was right up there.

He's definitely a starter though. Despite previous perceptions of strong ball running but a lack of fitness I don't think his game is overly suited to being an impact player off the bench.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
fantastic news, Aus needs players like him. I think he should goto the Waratahs. If they nabbed him, with Miles, the back row they’ve got, Bell, Porecki, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) that’s finally a pack which can deliver the ball their stacked backs deserve.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Watching it now, gotta say I get the feeling Skelton is somewhat over-hyped. Not bad but not what I had expected to see. The pace of the game is pretty slow with regard to the set-pieces setting way slower than in Super, they take for ever. Peyper is as fucking useless as ever.
What do you expect from a second row? Ireland and France are the best teams in the world right now. Leinster and La Rochelle are the best Irish and French teams at the moment with many test players each one. So what a player can do in that competition is quite important for international level, more important than ever. I'm sure many Kiwis watching James Lowe playing there think that he could be a starter AB anyday.

Last edited:

Marce

John Thornett (49)
There are 7 NH referees and 5 SH referees for the RWC:
HgwYreR.md.jpg

Jaco Peyper is almost a NH referee so I would say 8/4. Adding a player who is refereed all the year at Heineken pace would be useful for a team with plenty Super Rugby players

Last edited: