• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Interesting to see Sam Johnson has been included in Eddie's barbarians squad:
Another Japanese-based player, Taichi Takahashi, has been added to Jones’ Barbarians, as has the out-of-favour Scotland midfielder Sam Johnson, who is moving on from Glasgow this summer.

With him finishing up at Glasgow and no new destination named it could be a sign Jones is interested in seeing him back in Australia.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Can an Aus team please sign this bloke. Team of the year 2 years in a row.

24 years old, 190cm, 127kg LHP who played Aus U18s
Would be pretty handy for the Reds, though it is tricky to judge where tight five forwards are at based on Japanese form. Still, can't do much better than repeat team of the year performances.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
True. But at 24 he's coming into the best years of his footy now. He left Aus as highly touted kid from Newington and has all the measurables to be a success.

Who knows what a guy like that could be aged 28 in 2027.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I know Potter is coming back but Dan is just recruiting ex-Brumbies to Leicester. Tigers annoucned Kata and Sam Carter as new signings. Big worry he'll get a few more current Brumbies over there.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Reece Hewat has re-signed with Pau until 2026. I always thought he might come back, he was a Schoolboys and u20s captain wasn't he? I think he left due to some off-field stuff but lots of time passed.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Jake McIntyre is this week's guest on Le French Rugby Podcast and he speaks a bit about his 5 years with the Reds where he implies he was a bit of a scape goat for their troubles and had a lot of fingers pointed at him. He was miserable during that time and felt like he didn't play well.

Interestingly, he speaks about why he came back to Australia for the Western Force. All because he wanted a tilt at representing Australia, he sounded a bit salty when describing how RA insisted you're only Aus eligibile if you're playing within the country.

Don't think he's got positive feelings about his playing time here.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Jake McIntyre is this week's guest on Le French Rugby Podcast and he speaks a bit about his 5 years with the Reds where he implies he was a bit of a scape goat for their troubles and had a lot of fingers pointed at him. He was miserable during that time and felt like he didn't play well.

Interestingly, he speaks about why he came back to Australia for the Western Force. All because he wanted a tilt at representing Australia, he sounded a bit salty when describing how Rugby Australia insisted you're only Aus eligibile if you're playing within the country.

Don't think he's got positive feelings about his playing time here.
Unfortunate, and I can't speak on how he was dealt with by the Reds and RA but he was a decent player but that's about it. IMO he never demanded Wallaby selection or seemed hard done by.

He's ended up having a long and hopefully lucrative career in Rugby.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Unfortunate, and I can't speak on how he was dealt with by the Reds and Rugby Australia but he was a decent player but that's about it. IMO he never demanded Wallaby selection or seemed hard done by.

He's ended up having a long and hopefully lucrative career in Rugby.
Yeah I’m impressed he tried to have a crack back here. I guess that was at a time when there was no Foley or Quade. Not outrageous to think he could compete with Lolesio or shadow him.

he’s also said that a few of his wallabies mates say Eddie has been pretty brutal, a lot of early morning calls telling them they’re not up to scratch, not mincing words.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
he’s also said that a few of his wallabies mates say Eddie has been pretty brutal, a lot of early morning calls telling them they’re not up to scratch, not mincing words.
Nothing new with Eddie there, if someone we generally think is a cert to make the squad and misses I think it’ll be related to responding negatively to this.

Last edited:

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yeah I’m impressed he tried to have a crack back here. I guess that was at a time when there was no Foley or Quade. Not outrageous to think he could compete with Lolesio or shadow him.

Perhaps the least surprising thing I have read on this forum in recent days - apart from the usual drivel on the schoolboy threads.