• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Joe Powell has left Leicester:

Was only on a short term deal after London Irish collapsed, but interestingly this is the second time he's left/not been re-signed at a McKellar coached team. No word on where to next.

He signed a 3 yr deal (which he only lasted 2) with the Rebels to be the starting 9 Dan didn't move him on. At the time it was the perfect fit as NW had just come back & Ryan Lonergan was just starting to come through. Also It was Dan who gave him the short term deal this yr to fill in for while Ben Youngs was at the RWC & his mandatory rests.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
He signed a 3 yr deal (which he only lasted 2) with the Rebels to be the starting 9 Dan didn't move him on. At the time it was the perfect fit as NW had just come back & Ryan Lonergan was just starting to come through. Also It was Dan who gave him the short term deal this yr to fill in for while Ben Youngs was at the RWC & his mandatory rests.
I'm not suggesting bad blood or anything like that, more that McKellar has seen more of him than anyone else and doesn't appear to rate him at market value. Certainly it seems he was looking to turn that short term deal into a long term, given he doesn't appear to have the next thing locked down. At 29 it looks like he's on the down swing of his career now and given the timing of this I'm not sure where he'll be able to find a place for the bulk of 2024.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I'm not suggesting bad blood or anything like that, more that McKellar has seen more of him than anyone else and doesn't appear to rate him at market value. Certainly it seems he was looking to turn that short term deal into a long term, given he doesn't appear to have the next thing locked down. At 29 it looks like he's on the down swing of his career now and given the timing of this I'm not sure where he'll be able to find a place for the bulk of 2024.

I think there would be plenty of clubs out there in Europe/Japan/Usa that would happily take a well traveled 29 yo international scum half

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
McKellar would know he’s a limited player. He’ll be able to pick up a gig somewhere but he’s pretty average.

Can see him in Japan to get a good enough earn. The MLR guys aren’t on good money if your not a novelty marquee getting some private deals.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I know people have their loyalties to certain players at franchises but I'd say he would get the start at the Tahs, Reds and Force on current skill and ability. Tahs & Reds have a lot placed on potential currently.

Rebels are invested in Gordon and I think the Brumbies still back Noah as their guy.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I know people have their loyalties to certain players at franchises but I'd say he would get the start at the Tahs, Reds and Force on current skill and ability. Tahs & Reds have a lot placed on potential currently.

Rebels are invested in Gordon and I think the Brumbies still back Noah as their guy.
That looks about right to me, though I think he'd still probably be starting at the Rebels and Brumbies, just at 15 instead of 10. The real question will be how he sits next year when he's off contract - I'm not sure any of the sides will necessarily be clamoring for him with another year of development into the current crop of promising young 10s. Potentially the Brumbies with both Lolesio and Debreczeni off contract at the end of the year at this stage.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
He wouldn't be cheap either so if you wanted him, he's coming to run the show and not be in a competition for the spot. Say if the Reds went after him it would probably mean one or even two of Lynagh, HMP, Creighton would be forced out.

Brumbies does feel like it would fit if they moved on from Noah. Lucas is a good player and would be good for Australian Rugby. At 24 he sits right in the sweet spot for what we need over the next 5 years.

Italophile

Bill Watson (15)
He wouldn't be cheap either so if you wanted him, he's coming to run the show and not be in a competition for the spot. Say if the Reds went after him it would probably mean one or even two of Lynagh, HMP, Creighton would be forced out.

Brumbies does feel like it would fit if they moved on from Noah. Lucas is a good player and would be good for Australian Rugby. At 24 he sits right in the sweet spot for what we need over the next 5 years.
If they do, Toulon will have him back in a heartbeat.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
If they do, Toulon will have him back in a heartbeat.
Think Noah is the one in control now. Probably wouldn’t have said that pre World Cup. Played pretty well over there so no doubt will have some interest from a lot of Clubs.

I expect him to be back in the Wallaby squads by the end of the season and he’s definitely a Super Rugby starter in Aus. He might not be one of the elites but show me our other options.

Last edited:

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I wouldn't mind an actual lock at the rebels to help out Canham instead of a more 6's playing a hybrid role,

Speaking of does anyone actually know how Trev Hosea is going in Japan, seems to have completely gone of his socials as well

WoodysRFC

Frank Row (1)
I wouldn't mind an actual lock at the rebels to help out Canham instead of a more 6's playing a hybrid role,

Speaking of does anyone actually know how Trev Hosea is going in Japan, seems to have completely gone of his socials as well
Four rounds complete and is yet to feature for Sungoliath.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
All 3 of Douglas, Holmes and Tapuai would be useful at the Rebels.

- Holmes would be more reliable then mini gordon and strachan as backup 10.
- Douglas would shore up a lack of experience in the second row, at the very least around the group.
- Tapuai is an experienced 12, a position the rebels are very light in. Feliuai the only real potential Super Rugby standard 12, with the talent being stacked in the 13 channel (Riply>Daugunu>Proctor)

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
THe rebels would be the "best" spot for all of them yes.

I think the Force, Waratahs and Reds would all make good use of Douglas and probably Holmes as well. Tapuai maybe slightly less so.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Kane Douglas yes at Rebels, it would be nice to see Ben T come home to Melbourne but he turns 35 in a weeks time and I dont think the experience he brings outweighs the risk.