• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I'm probably being naiive, but I couldn't give two hoots if they set up again in NZ and targeted ABs. Perth would be a disaster. PNG would be an NRL version of MP (Moana Pasifika) - interesting but lacking apparent commercial nous.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I'm probably being naiive, but I couldn't give two hoots if they set up again in NZ and targeted ABs. Perth would be a disaster. PNG would be an NRL version of MP (Moana Pasifika) (Moana Pasifika) - interesting but lacking apparent commercial nous.
Especially if they ended up the Perth Bears... You would engage some old North Sydney Fans who also tend to be a good chunk of the Rugby audience in Sydney.

On the ABs, who would be the go? Caleb Clark no.1? Jordie Barret would be able to be a 6 in league with his boot.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Especially if they ended up the Perth Bears... You would engage some old North Sydney Fans who also tend to be a good chunk of the Rugby audience in Sydney.

On the ABs, who would be the go? Caleb Clark no.1? Jordie Barret would be able to be a 6 in league with his boot.
Underrated observation. Only reason I don't get more into the NRL is because I can't bring myself to care about another team since I was born in North Syd and was raised to support them.

Wilson

David Codey (61)

The Bears are bidding as "Moana Pasifika" style bid, still based out of North Sydney. Not sure they'd accept a Perth side, particularly if it ended their chances of a team in their heartland.

As far as AB's go Clarke is probably the most likely but Ardie Savea would probably be the dream get. He has talked about an NRL switch before and given the second team would be Wellington based there probably isn't anyone that could top him for local cachet.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Given the growth in revenue of the NRL, they more then have the capacity to do it. The risk/concern with salary dispensation for cross-code signings is that it disrupts the balance of existing salary cap and creates loopholes for teams to exploit, or potentially even creates incentives for NRL players to switch to rugby for a season just so that they can be paid more on return because.

A handful have already tried to do an off-season in Japan. Whilst NRL might see value in destabilising rugby union further by taking the key marketable players, they are also quite reserved on maintaining balance/integrity (loose term) in the salary cap and equalisation measures.
100%, if I am a. Kid coming out of high school and I know the NRL have 1m a year to spend outside the salary cap for union players. Then I would sign to play union, once in union there is a chance you never go back as you may decide to take the money in France or Japan instead. While that doesn’t help Australian rugby at much if at all it hurts the NRL

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
The Bears are bidding as "Moana Pasifika" style bid, still based out of North Sydney. Not sure they'd accept a Perth side, particularly if it ended their chances of a team in their heartland.

As far as AB's go Clarke is probably the most likely but Ardie Savea would probably be the dream get. He has talked about an NRL switch before and given the second team would be Wellington based there probably isn't anyone that could top him for local cachet.
I've heard them say they are willing to be in Perth if that's what the NRL would prefer. I don't see the Pacific option being a long term successful concept. You're beginning your franchise in the merger model. Most fans of the Bears I don't think care where it is if it meant they saw the red & black running around.

Ardie would have been a good option. 30 right now so would be pushing the body by the time it would/could happen. You'd think current Kiwis would be the main target. NAS, Joey Manu, Brandon Smith, Jahrome Hughes and then if they could steal a player from the Warriors to create some spice.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I’ve visited a few time with work and I agree. Just depends how big the Fed government cheque is to base a team there.

wamberal99

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I’ve visited a few time with work and I agree. Just depends how big the Fed government cheque is to base a team there.
There have been some incredible incidents. One involved a helicopter filled with armed gangsters (in full military uniforms) landing on the roof of a bank building.

The more money at stake, the riskier things will be.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yeah the security is an issue, inside Port Moresby it's not too bad as long as you stay in the right areas, but as soon as you leave Port Moresby it all changes. We were working just outside of Port Moresby, a local town supplied a large number of workers to a local mining site, all these mines employ a large number of security who are a bit like a militia. Anyway, there was a disagreement between the local town and the security from the town, one of the busses(caged windows Mad Max style) for ferrying employees for the mine was flipped on it side and burned out in the middle of town. The next day we drove back through the town and retribution had obviously been done, the town was mostly burned to the ground and smoldering, undoubtedly people died. This didn't even make the local news.

We also picked up a local who was stumbling on the road and took him to the local hospital, he had been attacked by a machete. Not sure if he survived.

Locals are lovely people, but like all countries with corruption issues and wealth inequality, crime is rife.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
PNG? Putting an NRL side there would create more problems than it would solve. My sister and her partner lived there for a number of years, I visited them a couple of times, and then did a couple of consulting assignments.

Scary place. Not to mention a lot of corruption.

I know someone very well that lives & works over there. During the riots 2 weeks ago all Australians got kept in their gated community. The reports in the media where it was a protest got out of hand he said the truth is that criminals just used it as an excuse to just riot & steal anything they can. The nrl have enough trouble keeping players in canberra or auckland I have no idea how they would convince anyone who can get an offer anywhere else to live in Port Moresby. All govt. jobs over there aussies are getting paid double what they would get paid in aus to do they same job & most only last 1 - 2 years.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Louis Lynagh rumoured to be heading to Benetton. Could edge towards Italian representation.

his old man played there in the ‘amateur’ days.

Hogie

Herbert Moran (7)
Louis Lynagh rumoured to be heading to Benetton. Could edge towards Italian representation.

If this does indeed materialise, then he will absolutely be putting on the blue of Italy before the end of 2024.

Personally I feel that it is a shame that there wasn't a way to bring him to Oz as I see him, long term, as a 15 and would bring something different to the other 15's in Oz.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

Apparently already eligible for Italy through his Mother.

Even though I’d love to see him here this doesn’t bother me all that much. An England jersey really would have hurt.