• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia A - Back on the Cards

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Thanks Reg, two good squads. I like your selection of Uru, I would hope that Frost, Fines Leleiwasa and Fa’amausili may get a look in also. Can see big benefits in this set up for Ryan Lonergan.

Yeah picked this a couple of weeks ago. Pone would be in Aussie A for sure. Didn’t pick Frost because I didn’t want to pick players going OS in the A team.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I expect a squad to be something like this-
1 - Fred Kaihea
2 - Folau Fainga'a
3 - Sefo Kautai
4 - Jed Holloway
5 - Tom Hooper
6 - Luke Reimer
7 - Rory Scott
8 - Ed Kennedy
9 - Lachie Albert
10 - Rodney Iona
11 - Chris Feauai-Sautia
12 - Ollie Sapsford
13 - Hudson Creighton
14 - Cam Clark
15 - Jesse Mogg

Holloway there to balance out Mckellar's influence in the selection room:)

Seriously though, I love this concept and think a decent pacific and South American competition would be great for Rugby in Australia. It may even be a great way for U20's who play Super Rugby get experience in a high performance setting playing against quality opposition and get world experience and travelling that may help keep them signed to rugby.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Did this one a couple of weeks ago. Probably a few changes needed but fine as a discussion point. View attachment 13424
My biggest concern here with them playing against each other is that there is a lot to be gained by the B Team being a bit heavy handed in tactics to open up spots in the A Team. I can see another Rod McCall/Dan Crowley eye gouge type incident :)

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I expect a squad to be something like this-
1 - Fred Kaihea
2 - Folau Fainga'a
3 - Sefo Kautai
4 - Jed Holloway
5 - Tom Hooper
6 - Luke Reimer
7 - Rory Scott
8 - Ed Kennedy
9 - Lachie Albert
10 - Rodney Iona
11 - Chris Feauai-Sautia
12 - Ollie Sapsford
13 - Hudson Creighton
14 - Cam Clark
15 - Jesse Mogg
In his current form, Holloway MUST be a Wallabies starter

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I haven't read the article as it is behind a paywall, but do they mention how they're planning on using the team?

It was discussed on the Wallabies thread a while back about whether RA has the funds to be sending a full 50 man touring squad to be playing test matches and A matches during Spring Tour etc. or whether they would enter them into a minnows league and play against some of the developing nations instead.

Also I assume this means they're not planning on bringing an type NRC competition back anytime soon? Surely you'd want blokes from the A side playing in that comp, otherwise it's pretty much just an extended club season.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think the Wallabies will be encamped with their standard 33 allotment as (for example) they will always want the player who is backup to the bench position on hand at all times. Might then see a reduced squad for the Australia A (but I'll dream 33).

My Wallaby squad (Japan based players allowed as per reports)
Hk: Porecki, Fainga'a, Kaituu
Prop: Bell, Slipper, Sio, Ala'alatoa, Tupou
Lock: Swain, Rodda, Philip, Neville
BR: Valetini, Leota, Samu, Wilson, Mcreight, Hoops
HB: Mcdermott, White, Gordon
FH: JOC (James O'Connor), Quade, Lolesio
CE: Kerevi, Paisami, Ikitau, Perese
OB: Petaia, Koroibete, Kellaway, Banks, Hodge (at a stretch ...)

THEREFORE , my Australia A squad (going for 33 and I won't avoid people rumoured to be leaving)
HK: Mcinerney, Lonergan, Uelese
Prop: Robertson, Orr, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes), Pone, Gibbon
Lock: Holloway, Blyth, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Frost
BR: Uru, FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner), Harris, Vosayaco, Wright, Gamble
HB: Fines, Powell, Lonergan
FH: Donaldson, Edmed, To'omua
CE: Simone, Foketi, Flook, Newsome
OB: Daugunu, Campbell, Vunivalu, Wright, Muirhead

1. Robertson 2. Mcinerney 3. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
4. Holloway 5. Frost
6. FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) 8. Uru 7. Wright
9. Lonergan 10. Edmed 11. Wright 12. Simone 13. Foketi 14. Vunivalu
16. Uelese 17. Orr 18. Pone 19. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) 20. Vosayaco 21. Fines 22. To'omua 23. Muirhead

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think this 'A' team selection will bring up some interesting selection points.

For example UTR selection of To'omua on the bench seems redundant to me. Why bother selecting a 33yr old bloke who is out of form on the bench? Better off using that spot for a young player to gain experience in a national setup.

But is the main point of an A side to blood players and give them exposure to a high performance/touring setup? Or is it to create a cohesive side which wins games in which case you'd pick the best players regardless of whether they'll factor into the Wallabies team down the track.

Not saying I have the answers, but selections would be interesting.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think this 'A' team selection will bring up some interesting selection points.

For example UTR selection of To'omua on the bench seems redundant to me. Why bother selecting a 33yr old bloke who is out of form on the bench? Better off using that spot for a young player to gain experience in a national setup.

But is the main point of an A side to blood players and give them exposure to a high performance/touring setup? Or is it to create a cohesive side which wins games in which case you'd pick the best players regardless of whether they'll factor into the Wallabies team down the track.

Not saying I have the answers, but selections would be interesting.
You're spot on. I think To'omua would be more useful then Donaldson off the bench say, however, what is the purpose of the team? If it is deemed that it is in the best interest of rugby in Australia to provide more meaningful high performance competition for developing players, then don't bother with departing players like Uelese, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Fly, Simone, (unless you want them around for their backup value to the main squad) and throw the dice on developing youths > older journeymen.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I think the Wallabies will be encamped with their standard 33 allotment as (for example) they will always want the player who is backup to the bench position on hand at all times. Might then see a reduced squad for the Australia A (but I'll dream 33).

My Wallaby squad (Japan based players allowed as per reports)
Hk: Porecki, Fainga'a, Kaituu
Prop: Bell, Slipper, Sio, Ala'alatoa, Tupou
Lock: Swain, Rodda, Philip, Neville
BR: Valetini, Leota, Samu, Wilson, Mcreight, Hoops
HB: Mcdermott, White, Gordon
FH: JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor), Quade, Lolesio
CE: Kerevi, Paisami, Ikitau, Perese
OB: Petaia, Koroibete, Kellaway, Banks, Hodge (at a stretch ...)

THEREFORE , my Australia A squad (going for 33 and I won't avoid people rumoured to be leaving)
HK: Mcinerney, Lonergan, Uelese
Prop: Robertson, Orr, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes), Pone, Gibbon
Lock: Holloway, Blyth, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Frost
BR: Uru, FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) (Fergus Lee-Warner), Harris, Vosayaco, Wright, Gamble
HB: Fines, Powell, Lonergan
FH: Donaldson, Edmed, To'omua
CE: Simone, Foketi, Flook, Newsome
OB: Daugunu, Campbell, Vunivalu, Wright, Muirhead

1. Robertson 2. Mcinerney 3. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
4. Holloway 5. Frost
6. FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) (Fergus Lee-Warner) 8. Uru 7. Wright
9. Lonergan 10. Edmed 11. Wright 12. Simone 13. Foketi 14. Vunivalu
16. Uelese 17. Orr 18. Pone 19. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) 20. Vosayaco 21. Fines 22. To'omua 23. Muirhead
Tom Wright is one of the most consistent winger in the game and you pick Hodge over him? Come on. He's also ahead of Petaia and Kellaway. Koroibete plays in his own league

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Tom Wright is one of the most consistent winger in the game and you pick Hodge over him? Come on. He's also ahead of Petaia and Kellaway. Koroibete plays in his own league
If Petaia gets more game time at fullback then yes absolutely agree, Hodge becomes redundant and allows another wing. You're right and he is outplaying Kellaway atm, but Kellaway was well ahead in previous test season.

Sometimes Super Rugby form isn't as great as indicator to Test form due to the severe shortfalls out Super Rugby teams have in their squads. Eg. Tough to live life as a finishing winger in a team that's centres can't/won't get you the ball.

Tazzmania

Charlie Fox (21)
The problem with an Australia A program rather than an NRC type competition is that you are going to have a 100 plus professional rugby players still limited to whatever game time they can manage to snare in super rugby and nothing else the rest of the year. No wonder many are now seeking alternative overseas contracts as you just cannot develop with that sort of limitation and our depth will not grow.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Sometimes Super Rugby form isn't as great as indicator to Test form due to the severe shortfalls out Super Rugby teams have in their squads.
I agree, Nonu is a great example. He used to be average at best at Super Rugby level but when he wore the black jersey he was a beast. Hooper could be one guy at Wallabies who doesn't matter his performances at Super Rugby, he MUST be picked. But they EARNED that right playing something like 100 international caps at good level.

If we talk about guys like Petaia or Kellaway, they didn't earned that right. So yes, for those guys Super Rugby performances matter to pick them