• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia A - Back on the Cards

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
You're spot on. I think To'omua would be more useful then Donaldson off the bench say, however, what is the purpose of the team? If it is deemed that it is in the best interest of rugby in Australia to provide more meaningful high performance competition for developing players, then don't bother with departing players like Uelese, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Fly, Simone, (unless you want them around for their backup value to the main squad) and throw the dice on developing youths > older journeymen.

Yep and at the end of the day, using it to find the next generation of Wallaby I think should be the intended result. Whether the team is necessary cohesive over long periods time is irrelevant because ideally players would only end up playing a handful of games in the A team before graduating, or dropping out all together if they can't cut the mustard. I am also not sure Australia has the depth in certain positions to really put a top notch A team on the park each week, so results are going to be mixed anyway.

It would be good to see some formal rules put into place - something like 20 out of the matchday 23 must be under the age of 25. Which means there still is room for someone like a To'omua or Hodge to make the side and provide some polish and leadership to the young guys.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The problem with an Australia A program rather than an NRC type competition is that you are going to have a 100 plus professional rugby players still limited to whatever game time they can manage to snare in super rugby and nothing else the rest of the year. No wonder many are now seeking alternative overseas contracts as you just cannot develop with that sort of limitation and our depth will not grow.
To cut the nrc without a proper institute been a killer. We still don’t know what the Plans here are but investing resource in Australia A as opposed to an nrc diss seem a travesty.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Yep and at the end of the day, using it to find the next generation of Wallaby I think should be the intended result. Whether the team is necessary cohesive over long periods time is irrelevant because ideally players would only end up playing a handful of games in the A team before graduating, or dropping out all together if they can't cut the mustard. I am also not sure Australia has the depth in certain positions to really put a top notch A team on the park each week, so results are going to be mixed anyway.

It would be good to see some formal rules put into place - something like 20 out of the matchday 23 must be under the age of 25. Which means there still is room for someone like a To'omua or Hodge to make the side and provide some polish and leadership to the young guys.
I doubt To'omua will be in the mix ..form, age and what for? To provide some polish? Ah, no.

Raytah

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think the Wallabies will be encamped with their standard 33 allotment as (for example) they will always want the player who is backup to the bench position on hand at all times. Might then see a reduced squad for the Australia A (but I'll dream 33).

My Wallaby squad (Japan based players allowed as per reports)
Hk: Porecki, Fainga'a, Kaituu
Prop: Bell, Slipper, Sio, Ala'alatoa, Tupou
Lock: Swain, Rodda, Philip, Neville
BR: Valetini, Leota, Samu, Wilson, Mcreight, Hoops
HB: Mcdermott, White, Gordon
FH: JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor), Quade, Lolesio
CE: Kerevi, Paisami, Ikitau, Perese
OB: Petaia, Koroibete, Kellaway, Banks, Hodge (at a stretch ...)

THEREFORE , my Australia A squad (going for 33 and I won't avoid people rumoured to be leaving)
HK: Mcinerney, Lonergan, Uelese
Prop: Robertson, Orr, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes), Pone, Gibbon
Lock: Holloway, Blyth, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Frost
BR: Uru, FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) (Fergus Lee-Warner), Harris, Vosayaco, Wright, Gamble
HB: Fines, Powell, Lonergan
FH: Donaldson, Edmed, To'omua
CE: Simone, Foketi, Flook, Newsome
OB: Daugunu, Campbell, Vunivalu, Wright, Muirhead

1. Robertson 2. Mcinerney 3. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
4. Holloway 5. Frost
6. FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) (Fergus Lee-Warner) 8. Uru 7. Wright
9. Lonergan 10. Edmed 11. Wright 12. Simone 13. Foketi 14. Vunivalu
16. Uelese 17. Orr 18. Pone 19. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) 20. Vosayaco 21. Fines 22. To'omua 23. Muirhead

Some similarities, but I'm expecting the 'A' squad to look more future focussed with an eye on 2025-27, therefore likely to exclude those heading o/s but also designed to ensure next cab off the rank is fit and familiar with wallabies systems:

Prop: Fotuaika, Faumasili, Kautai, Gibbon, Robertson
HK: Pollard, Lonergan, Vailanu
Lock: Frost, Hosea, Uru, Hooper (Hockings on wishlist)
BR: Harris, Vosayaco, Gamble, Reimer, Kemeny, Anstee
HB: Lonergan, Thomas, Albert
FH: Donaldson, Edmed (Lucas on wishlist)
CE: Pasitoa, Flook, Stewart, Ripley
WG: Vunivalu, Nawananitawase, Vaihu
FB: Campbell, Muirhead

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Some similarities, but I'm expecting the 'A' squad to look more future focussed with an eye on 2025-27, therefore likely to exclude those heading o/s but also designed to ensure next cab off the rank is fit and familiar with wallabies systems:

From a bloke that has suffered through every rebels game,

Hosea. Not even playing club footy yet, not sure if even training fully. We put out 1 inj report 6 weeks ago & they said he was a while off

Viahu. Glad we have given him the opportunity to have a full crack at it this year, for me still a little bit off it. NRC would have been perfect for him

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
From a bloke that has suffered through every rebels game,

Hosea. Not even playing club footy yet, not sure if even training fully. We put out 1 inj report 6 weeks ago & they said he was a while off

Viahu. Glad we have given him the opportunity to have a full crack at it this year, for me still a little bit off it. NRC would have been perfect for him
The injury report they did give said he was due back for the Highlanders game. Obviously there may have been a setback.

Marce

John Thornett (49)

Vunivalu is too expensive to play at Australia A level. People used to complain about Israel Folau's salary but at least he played a lot of international tests and scored too many tries there

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ Junior AB won it 2006, 07 & 09 & MAB 2008 so like you I'm puzzled as to why NZR aren't sending someone (can't be MAB as they're playing two v Ireland in June/ July). Would be an excellent opportunity for the players not quite in the AB frame to push their case.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
^ Junior AB won it 2006, 07 & 09 & MAB 2008 so like you I'm puzzled as to why NZR aren't sending someone (can't be MAB as they're playing two v Ireland in June/ July). Would be an excellent opportunity for the players not quite in the AB frame to push their case.

4 teams works out perfect over 3 weeks, Māori AB’s have a couple of games v Ireland in an old fashioned tour of nz. Which is a dying thing in professional rugby

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Sekope Kepu says his World Cup days are behind him but the former Wallabies prop is excited by the prospect of his friend Israel Folau playing for Tonga at next year’s tournament - and possibly against Australia A this July.

Kepu confirmed the former Wallabies fullback, who was sacked by Rugby Australia in 2019 for controversial social media posts, is keen to take advantage of changes in World Rugby eligibility laws and switch to Tonga.
Tonga coach Toutai Kefu said Folau’s eligibility is due to be reviewed by World Rugby next week and he hopes to bring the 73-Test Wallaby in to play in the Pacific Nations Cup in July, in which the Test teams of Tonga, Fiji and Samoa, along with Australia A, will play a three-game tournament in Fiji.
“I still keep in touch with Izzy and it sounds like he is pretty keen,” Kepu said. “Obviously playing on the world stage is a big thing. I know a lot of people would be tuning in to watch him. He is doing his thing in Japan and doing really well over there.

This is great news, no matter your thoughts on Folou, it will bring eyes to the competition and the more talk about Rugby the better.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)

This is great news, no matter your thoughts on Folou, it will bring eyes to the competition and the more talk about Rugby the better.
Good to see him back playing rugby, it was an terrible mess sacking him.

If we weren’t comfortable with his religious beliefs and him expressing them we shouldn’t have given him a 4 year deal. Nobody would have batted an eyelid

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
4 teams works out perfect over 3 weeks, Māori AB’s have a couple of games v Ireland in an old fashioned tour of nz. Which is a dying thing in professional rugby

I like this and when the World League fails to come to fruition (even I though I'm a supporter of the concept) I hope we see it expanded to include the Maori, the USA, Canada and Chile. I also hope that we see a touring squad headed to Europe in November to play the REC nations.