• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia A - Back on the Cards

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Not sure what the point of having Beale in the A squad is unless you think he's lacking match fitness?

He's not good enough to make the WB squad? We have strengths ahead of him in each potential slot?

I might be wrong as Rennie sees it, but if I think that Quade should have to fight for his slot (which I do) certainly Beale has more work than that in front of him.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
He's not good enough to make the WB squad? We have strengths ahead of him in each potential slot?

I might be wrong as Rennie sees it, but if I think that Quade should have to fight for his slot (which I do) certainly Beale has more work than that in front of him.
Yeah I don't think he should be in either is my point.

The only rationale I see is that he needs to get match fit to effectively act as a backup for the 36.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah I don't think he should be in either is my point.

The only rationale I see is that he needs to get match fit to effectively act as a backup for the 36.

Soz! Misread that completely. With you on this one. I like Beale. Ish. But he'll have to earn it. And he might just do that. Which is fine.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Surely Rennie is going to have everyone who is on his radar involved in either the Wallabies squad or playing with Australia A. I don't think players being veterans will count against their inclusion in the Australia A team.

It might be a little different if we didn't have a RWC next year but I can't imagine anyone who is any chance of being in the RWC squad is left out on the basis that we want Australia A to include more development players.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Not sure what the point of having Beale in the A squad is unless you think he's lacking match fitness?
Not sure what point you are making.....he came back to be a Wallaby - Rennie worked hard to get him back

If he is not in the Wallaby 36 then I think they would use him in the Aussie A team along with every developing player and PONI not selected.

Sounds more reasonable then paying him to sit around. If he's still lingering with injury and requires more rehab and fitness then sure he will do that instead.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Not sure what point you are making.....he came back to be a Wallaby - Rennie worked hard to get him back

If he is not in the Wallaby 36 then I think they would use him in the Aussie A team along with every developing player and PONI not selected.

Sounds more reasonable then paying him to sit around. If he's still lingering with injury and requires more rehab and fitness then sure he will do that instead.
Read the rest of my posts..

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What purpose is McReight not playing Aus A? He's not going to be in the Test 23, give him the captaincy of Aus A and he can play actual matches.

All the matches are in Fiji, these guys are only a 4 hour flight away in case of injuries.

I'd keep maybe 1 prop, 1 hooker, 1 lock, 1 6/8, 1 scrumhalf, 1 half, 1 centre, 1 wing/fb from outside the Test 23 (31 total) - all the rest can play Aus A.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
All the matches are in Fiji, these guys are only a 4 hour flight away in case of injuries.

I'd keep maybe 1 prop, 1 hooker, 1 lock, 1 6/8, 1 scrumhalf, 1 half, 1 centre, 1 wing/fb from outside the Test 23 (31 total) - all the rest can play Aus A.
I agree with you. But I think the stated number was 36. Which seems unfair to the players outside your 31, as they won’t get to play much (if at all) while other players can show what they’ve got for Aus A. I’m with you that the players on the periphery of the 36 would be better served playing the pacific nations when the wallabies are here and in nz. Only joining the main squad for the SA and Argentine legs of the tournament.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I did notice that the French Barbarians are going on a tour in the july test window of north america. I know money is tight at RA but sending Aus A to Europe in nov to play 3 developing nations wouldn't be the stupidest idea.

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
I did notice that the French Barbarians are going on a tour in the july test window of north america. I know money is tight at Rugby Australia but sending Aus A to Europe in nov to play 3 developing nations wouldn't be the stupidest idea.
Would be great to give some of these fringe players test like experience in the lead up to RWC23.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I did notice that the French Barbarians are going on a tour in the july test window of north america. I know money is tight at Rugby Australia but sending Aus A to Europe in nov to play 3 developing nations wouldn't be the stupidest idea.
Then they’re nearby if the Wallabies need to call anyone up. Money is probably an issue.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Then they’re nearby if the Wallabies need to call anyone up. Money is probably an issue.

Yes I wonder where all the touring money would come from. RA can’t afford to run a domestic NRC comp, a full European tour for an A side isn’t going to be cheap. Flights, accom, match fees and expenses for 30 odd blokes on top of the Wallabies probably won’t happen.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It would seem unlikely given the end of year tour dramatically eats into preseason Super Rugby training and holidays for the players.

Given a lot of guys in an Australia A side would be exactly the sort of players we want to both get a break and a full preseason I doubt it would be something Rugby Australia would be keen on even if there was money to do it.