• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia A - Back on the Cards

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Disappointing result for Aussie A. Combinations (understandably) poor. But execution and decision making more significant. McReight was fantastic. Robertson also excellent with Uru, Stewart and Foketi very good. Loving the look of Gleeson every time I watch him.

Lonergan was horrible. Jock had a shocker. Hodge pretty average.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Eh I'm not that fussed by this loss. Beyond that 2nd last Samoan try where they stole the ball right under Antsee's foot in the scrum, criminal.

Gleeson looks to have hurt himself after a promising cameo.
It came right out of the scrum and Antsee dragged it back in with his foot - I thought it was a fair try

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I couldn't watch the game, I was sleeping despite was a perfect time for me, 9 pm. I was so tired after a hard day but reading the comments I didn't miss anything or maybe yes lol

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Maybe a question for the refereeing thread but Samoa scored a try under penalty advantage. Pieper then sinbinned one of our locks for repeated wob infringements but no penalty was awarded due to the try. I thought it was one or the other?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Maybe a question for the refereeing thread but Samoa scored a try under penalty advantage. Pieper then sinbinned one of our locks for repeated wob infringements but no penalty was awarded due to the try. I thought it was one or the other?
I actually think this was about the only good thing he did all game. Advantage means the penalty has already been awarded and if that is after a warning for repeated infringements a subsequent try should not rule out the yellow. They still infringed after a warning.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Geez there is some bitching here. After accidentally hitting the game thread that is not in a game thread here, and with the nature of the comments I nearly didn't bother watching. Glad I did.

Thought the boys did fine. Don't at all agree that Hodge/Jock/McReight/Lonergan/Edmed/whoever was shite. They are as rusty as hell but some real skill there.

First time I've noticed Marky-Mark (Nawaqanitawase) actually engaging in contact. I liked it. Back line speed across the board can be impressive. Pack needs some improvement but the opportunity is there. Hodge kicking can be impressive as usual, and as usual can be inaccurate. I thought Lonergan was solid and giving respectable service, Edmed doing OK with a pack that wasn't really pushing up. McReight t/o's as usual impressive, let alone his running game. Suspect we should expect more from the engine room (locks) but it's not an area that we are particularly well endowed in Aus.

Hats off to Samoa, they were, in the end, lucky - though I suspect they deserved it. Aus A will improve and they easily did enough to convince me to keep watching this series.

And honest, Peyper is fine. He's consistent and clear with plenty of international experience. we are lucky to be offered the bloke in this comp.

I also think the bitching about the commentators was OTT. Thought they were fine. Not great perhaps, but fine.

Thanks to Stan for bringing the series into my home, well done.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Nah Peyper couldn't even get the half and full time siren right. Sorry but that's bare minimum for an international match.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
I actually think this was about the only good thing he did all game. Advantage means the penalty has already been awarded and if that is after a warning for repeated infringements a subsequent try should not rule out the yellow. They still infringed after a warning.
1st time I’ve ever seen it played like that in many years of rugby. How many times do you hear the comment “lucky that was a try as player x might have been in trouble there.” Maybe it’s just the refs deciding it had no material effect if the try was scored anyway.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Geez there is some bitching here. After accidentally hitting the game thread that is not in a game thread here, and with the nature of the comments I nearly didn't bother watching. Glad I did.

Thought the boys did fine. Don't at all agree that Hodge/Jock/McReight/Lonergan/Edmed/whoever was shite. They are as rusty as hell but some real skill there.

First time I've noticed Marky-Mark (Nawaqanitawase) actually engaging in contact. I liked it. Back line speed across the board can be impressive. Pack needs some improvement but the opportunity is there. Hodge kicking can be impressive as usual, and as usual can be inaccurate. I thought Lonergan was solid and giving respectable service, Edmed doing OK with a pack that wasn't really pushing up. McReight t/o's as usual impressive, let alone his running game. Suspect we should expect more from the engine room (locks) but it's not an area that we are particularly well endowed in Aus.

Hats off to Samoa, they were, in the end, lucky - though I suspect they deserved it. Aus A will improve and they easily did enough to convince me to keep watching this series.

And honest, Peyper is fine. He's consistent and clear with plenty of international experience. we are lucky to be offered the bloke in this comp.

I also think the bitching about the commentators was OTT. Thought they were fine. Not great perhaps, but fine.

Thanks to Stan for bringing the series into my home, well done.
Yeh as I stated I enjoyed it as good rugby from both sides for most part and commentators were ok.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
First half a player was down with a minute on the tv clock. Second half he called it 2 minutes early. If the broadcast was a bit wrong it shouldn’t be 2 minutes. But thought we just lacked some cohesion, similar to the Drua at the start of SRAu. Wonder if the coaching staff will make wholesale changes or keep the same team?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
1st time I’ve ever seen it played like that in many years of rugby. How many times do you hear the comment “lucky that was a try as player x might have been in trouble there.” Maybe it’s just the refs deciding it had no material effect if the try was scored anyway.
Yeah they normally let them off the hook.