• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia A - Back on the Cards

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Geez there is some bitching here. After accidentally hitting the game thread that is not in a game thread here, and with the nature of the comments I nearly didn't bother watching. Glad I did.

Thought the boys did fine. Don't at all agree that Hodge/Jock/McReight/Lonergan/Edmed/whoever was shite. They are as rusty as hell but some real skill there.

First time I've noticed Marky-Mark (Nawaqanitawase) actually engaging in contact. I liked it. Back line speed across the board can be impressive. Pack needs some improvement but the opportunity is there. Hodge kicking can be impressive as usual, and as usual can be inaccurate. I thought Lonergan was solid and giving respectable service, Edmed doing OK with a pack that wasn't really pushing up. McReight t/o's as usual impressive, let alone his running game. Suspect we should expect more from the engine room (locks) but it's not an area that we are particularly well endowed in Aus.

Hats off to Samoa, they were, in the end, lucky - though I suspect they deserved it. Aus A will improve and they easily did enough to convince me to keep watching this series.

And honest, Peyper is fine. He's consistent and clear with plenty of international experience. we are lucky to be offered the bloke in this comp.

I also think the bitching about the commentators was OTT. Thought they were fine. Not great perhaps, but fine.

Thanks to Stan for bringing the series into my home, well done.
Geez Dru, a lot of contrary views there. But that's fine, I always get a lot from your posts.

Saying that, I did get pissed off with the commentary. We are made to feel guilty when we mispronounce an Islander's name, so why can't they make the effort to pronounce Fraser's name correctly?

With the exception of his line kicking, I thought Hodge did little to win back a spot in the Wallabies. Ryan Smith another to waste his opportunity with a below par performance. Uru needed to be running onto the ball at speed to make a bigger impression - compare our locks to the Fijians. Big, strong, fast and highly skilled.

Jaco was less than ordinary imo and looked like he'd spent the past few years feasting on donuts.

Otherwise, you're pretty well spot on about the game.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Saying that, I did get pissed off with the commentary. We are made to feel guilty when we mispronounce an Islander's name, so why can't they make the effort to pronounce Fraser's name correctly?
The 'ay' vs 'eye' pronunciation of ei changes across the world - both are accepted. Same thing when it comes to Lawson and Hudson Creighton (cr-ay-ton vs cr-eye-ton). I wouldn't get too worked up about it.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Sorry LeCheese, but if you're paid to do the commentary (and I am assuming they were) part of the brief is to check your pronunciations before the game, it's not that hard and it's part of the job. You're also supposed to present an unbiased view of the game. On here everybody continually trashed Kearns and Martin for their biased commentary, but they had nothing on these guys.
As to Peyper, he was very sub-standard and, to be fair, got no help from the touchies. In the first half he was only looking at the offside line for one team, the Aus dominant scrum won the penalty half the time, he let it go the other half, he missed a blatant high tackle on Lonergan, missed a blatant shepherd for a Samoan try, missed kick out on the full from outside the 22 (the touchie should have helped him out on that one), just way too many mistakes for a professional ref at this level. He's not a volunteer dad helping out at the under 10's.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The 'ay' vs 'eye' pronunciation of ei changes across the world - both are accepted. Same thing when it comes to Lawson and Hudson Creighton (cr-ay-ton vs cr-eye-ton). I wouldn't get too worked up about it.
The issue here is they were making up a "C"

McCreight instead of McReight

The "ei" pronunciation is rudimentary

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Sorry LeCheese, but if you're paid to do the commentary (and I am assuming they were) part of the brief is to check your pronunciations before the game, it's not that hard and it's part of the job. You're also supposed to present an unbiased view of the game. On here everybody continually trashed Kearns and Martin for their biased commentary, but they had nothing on these guys.
The issue here is they were making up a "C"

McCreight instead of McReight

The "ei" pronunciation is rudimentary
Didn't hear an extra C, it's just how the word flows - saying it aloud, the C is more pronounced with the ay pronunciation. 'Rudimentary' and part of the job or not, do the 5-10 times his name was said across 80min really detract from your experience that much? Agree that they could've been more impartial, but that's typical of Kiwi commentary when an Aus team is playing, just as it is of Aus commentary when a Kiwi team is playing.

Anyway, back to the actual footy, I don't think it was as poor a showing as many here have suggested. Aus A can take a lot from the second half in particular. Fiji next week will be another test no doubt, but the whole point of getting a team together for this comp is player development, not wins.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
As to Peyper, he was very sub-standard and, to be fair, got no help from the touchies. In the first half he was only looking at the offside line for one team, the Aus dominant scrum won the penalty half the time, he let it go the other half, he missed a blatant high tackle on Lonergan, missed a blatant shepherd for a Samoan try, missed kick out on the full from outside the 22 (the touchie should have helped him out on that one), just way too many mistakes for a professional ref at this level. He's not a volunteer dad helping out at the under 10's.
I get your point but maybe you get what you pay for as I imagine covering pacific nations cup broadcasters are not paying your A team with A team rates but rather maybe your b or c team on b or c team rates. Years ago when pacific nations cup on it was not even televised so I am just rapt get to watch it and moreso with now quality sides all involved given drua/MP (Moana Pasifika) plus change in eligibility law impacts. This looks like being a quality rugby competition from what I have seen which will get better as combinations gel.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Disappointing result for Aussie A. Combinations (understandably) poor. But execution and decision making more significant. McReight was fantastic. Robertson also excellent with Uru, Stewart and Foketi very good. Loving the look of Gleeson every time I watch him.

Lonergan was horrible. Jock had a shocker. Hodge pretty average.

Jock I thought actually had some good moments mixed with some poor ones. He was to me on the slate of more positive then negative.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Geez Dru, a lot of contrary views there.

Haha! Hmm, seems to be my role here. Did you note that I have said nothing about Jock. The autonomous response from the machine here just has me leaving it alone.

With the exception of his line kicking, I thought Hodge did little to win back a spot in the Wallabies. Ryan Smith another to waste his opportunity with a below par performance. Uru needed to be running onto the ball at speed to make a bigger impression - compare our locks to the Fijians. Big, strong, fast and highly skilled.

I like Hodge, his input though is always not what fans are looking for. Agree that that he did little to reclaim the gold 15 but I like the guy. Even on this game.

Smith certainly did not make a statement. Another guy I like but, shit, we need locks.

Uru, imo isn't an international lock. But he should be capable of targeting the 20 gold jersey. And didn't. But may well do so going forward.

Jaco was less than ordinary imo and looked like he'd spent the past few years feasting on donuts.

Hear you on Jaco. Can't find it in me to agree. I do see that your thinking is not at all unusual here, so probably it's me. Which is OK. I still think it's great to have him here. Soz.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Haha! Hmm, seems to be my role here. Did you note that I have said nothing about Jock. The autonomous response from the machine here just has me leaving it alone.

I like Hodge, his input though is always not what fans are looking for. Agree that that he did little to reclaim the gold 15 but I like the guy. Even on this game.

Smith certainly did not make a statement. Another guy I like but, shit, we need locks.

Uru, imo isn't an international lock. But he should be capable of targeting the 20 gold jersey. And didn't. But may well do so going forward.

Hear you on Jaco. Can't find it in me to agree. I do see that your thinking is not at all unusual here, so probably it's me. Which is OK. I still think it's great to have him here. Soz.

Like I said no wallaby auditions on that performance but I don’t think for most part any players were really identified before the game as on the match day 23 wallaby radar. Still lot of good super rugby type quality rugby on display.

But gives players the platform to get a taste of rugby at slightly higher level then super rugby (which I think it is) as marky n and pollard in years to come could be wallaby contenders (note don’t think either had a great game by the way).

I assume when we get nrc mark 3 we will still keep our involvement in pacific nations cup as now with drua/MP (Moana Pasifika) players involved and change in eligibility and hence higher quality of teams involved this looks the making of a good annual competition. Think it is good nz not involved as gives others chance in the spotlight.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Like I said no wallaby auditions on that performance but I don’t think for most part any players were really identified before the game as on the match day 23 wallaby radar. Still lot of good super rugby type quality rugby on display.

But gives players the platform to get a taste of rugby at slightly higher level then super rugby (which I think it is) as marky n and pollard in years to come could be wallaby contenders (note don’t think either had a great game by the way).

I assume when we get nrc mark 3 we will still keep our involvement in pacific nations cup as now with drua/MP (Moana Pasifika) (Moana Pasifika) players involved and change in eligibility and hence higher quality of teams involved this looks the making of a good annual competition. Think it is good nz not involved as gives others chance in the spotlight.

Hodge maybe.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Its a bit difficult to audition for the Wallabies in a squad assembled in camp for only 7 days. I get the uproar, but these guys were only just thrown together into a team which has no existing systems and tactics. It’s not like the Wallabies reassembling each season where they know what the coaches want and how to play. I suspect they’ll lose a couple with Wallabies injuries/call ups as well further disrupting them.

They’ll get better as the tournament goes on, and its good to see guys tested at a higher level regardless.

Doubt they’ll beat Fiji, but I also think Fiji will challenge a lot of actual test teams the next 18 months.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Contrary to opinion I thought McReight was only a pass mark. Absolutely sensational in the second half but one of the worst players on the field in the first. He won’t be any closer to the wallabies squad with that game than he was pregame. His support game was obviously strong for his 2 try’s, but gave away as many penalties as pilfers.

Uru built into the game very nicely, thought Edmed had a solid game considering the dross he was receiving. Hodge no way near as bad as many saying. Gibbon dominated at scrum time and good work ethic. Foketi very good

Peyper a joke