• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia A - Back on the Cards

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Nah Uru should only come in as 6 cover IMO.

think he will be in the mixer because of his position versatility.
He is a better lock option for a wallabies bench (versatility and work rate) than any other option in Australia A.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Who’s getting called up this week to the wallabies main squad.

perfect time for Seru Uru to replace Cade Neville.

Jock Campbell get a look to fill in for a concussed Petaia and injured Perese?
I'd resist calling up anyone who wasn't absolutely necessary to cover for the 3rd test, better to give them as much game time as possible with Australia A.

If they absolutely have to it's be at most a lock and an outside back - probably Ryan Smith as the only out and out lock left in the A squad (though I don't think he's ready for wallabies duty) and either Campbell or Peitsch to cover outside backs.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Who’s getting called up this week to the wallabies main squad.

perfect time for Seru Uru to replace Cade Neville.

Jock Campbell get a look to fill in for a concussed Petaia and injured Perese?

At first I thought this was a big call, but looking back at the injuries and available personnel - yikes!

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Mac Grealy and Kalani Thomas (at least) called up to Aussie A…
Is it deserved? No

Have I and many others in here been bitching and moaning across multiple threads about the lack of playing being done by our young footballers? Yes

I'd rather them go into camp and potentially play more minutes than be the feature of the Social Media Managers newest Instagram on 'Getting after it" in the gym or taking a high ball.

Hope all these fellas go back to Clubland and play out the rest of the season.

Rae Rae

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Well it depends on what we want Aus A to be. Is it a pure development team or is a place to test and have the next Wallabies ready?

I could be convinced either way but a year out from a RWC I think we should be building squad depth for that tournament.

Rae Rae

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I am agreeance that the u20s shouldn’t be going into Australia A camp. No one in that squad stood out above their teammates - I also like the idea of rewarding super rugby fringe players or a club rugby bolter into the Aus A program.

Some of these u20 players should be going back not just to premier or Shute shield rugby but rather colts rugby.

69 points on you can be demoralising. I think colts footy would do them some good, where u20 reps have to leave their egos at the door and play with all the non contracted schoolmates… let them earn the honour of winning their way into the 3pm starting XV.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I am agreeance that the u20s shouldn’t be going into Australia A camp. No one in that squad stood out above their teammates - I also like the idea of rewarding super rugby fringe players or a club rugby bolter into the Aus A program.
To be fair - Grealy and Thomas are both fully contracted Super Rugby players, so technically not just some random u20 players.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
To be fair - Grealy and Thomas are both fully contracted Super Rugby players, so technically not just some random u20 players.

oh I forgot about that rule.

wish it was not the case. Think some baby steps by these pups could do them some wonders

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
oh I forgot about that rule.

wish it was not the case. Think some baby steps by these pups could do them some wonders

I wonder how much discussion has gone on with Super Rugby coaches in terms of players selected for Aussie A, considering it is a development side you would think there would be some preferential selection of players who are looked at as long term development prospects vs players who coaches think will be moving on or cut from the squad.

I know there are rumours of Grealy leaving the Reds for the Force, where he would get more game time. Maybe his selection in this squad was to give him a chance to get some significant t minutes with the big boys and show if he's got it on or not.

Mug Punter

Ward Prentice (10)
someone in another thread made the call but Kye Oates and Cooper Whiteside at least are probably playing better at fullback than Mac. And that's just Brisbane.

At scrumhalf you could look at Mosiah Christensen, Spencer Jeans, Liam McNamara at least. But they aint contracted....
Couldn't agree more.

Sir Charles

Larry Dwyer (12)
someone in another thread made the call but Kye Oates and Cooper Whiteside at least are probably playing better at fullback than Mac. And that's just Brisbane.

At scrumhalf you could look at Mosiah Christensen, Spencer Jeans, Liam McNamara at least. But they aint contracted....
Absolutely.....Paddy James could be in the conversation as well.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Mahe Vailanu would be a someone I would love to see. Seems to rise to every level he's played against.

Has Charlie Gamble said anything around this topic? Not sure if he would be eligible yet but after the year he had I'm sure plenty of NZ sides will be sniffing around.

Rae Rae

Last edited:

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

Some of these u20 players should be going back not just to premier or Shute shield rugby but rather colts rugby.

69 points on you can be demoralising. I think colts footy would do them some good, where u20 reps have to leave their egos at the door and play with all the non contracted schoolmates… let them earn the honour of winning their way into the 3pm starting XV.
egos at the door they would be the cockiest wankersvin colts specially with there mates... While not getting better.