• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia A - Back on the Cards

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
I am agreeance that the u20s shouldn’t be going into Australia A camp. No one in that squad stood out above their teammates - I also like the idea of rewarding super rugby fringe players or a club rugby bolter into the Aus A program.

Some of these u20 players should be going back not just to premier or Shute shield rugby but rather colts rugby.

69 points on you can be demoralising. I think colts footy would do them some good, where u20 reps have to leave their egos at the door and play with all the non contracted schoolmates… let them earn the honour of winning their way into the 3pm starting XV.
Such a good idea.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Bit random but why are the matches getting earlier and earlier

None of them should be playing colts. I've seen average u20s players at the international level absolutely dominate colts. That's not good. If they're not 1st-grade standard they should be playing 2nd grade at least.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
A1DA7D0D-372A-4183-A0E2-DF885E403C2F.jpeg

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Morgs said games against Japan on Between Two Posts last night.

Surely that's just speculation on his part. Poor speculation at that. Because why would Japan who have proven themselves competitive at the T1 level or at least competitive enough to warrant regular tests against them want to play Aus A? Add to that why would they having actually hosted the Wallabies in the past entertain the step down? Unless it's Japan A it's not really worth their time.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Surely that's just speculation on his part. Poor speculation at that. Because why would Japan who have proven themselves competitive at the T1 level or at least competitive enough to warrant regular tests against them want to play Aus A? Add to that why would they having actually hosted the Wallabies in the past entertain the step down? Unless it's Japan A it's not really worth their time.

Woah up.

Firstly, Morgs is a commentator for the broadcaster and an employee for RA (as GM for the Classic Wallabies) so he probably is in the know more than most. Secondly, who knows if it is actually their full team it might be their emerging team (the same one that played some made up Tongan team earlier in the year). Thirdly, as they aren't in TRC they actually have no games until the EoY Tour (Spring/Autumn) so maybe it is the full team and finally haven't we just played Fiji and Samoa who sit one and two places behind them in the world rankings?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Woah up.

Firstly, Morgs is a commentator for the broadcaster and an employee for Rugby Australia (as GM for the Classic Wallabies) so he probably is in the know more than most. Secondly, who knows if it is actually their full team it might be their emerging team (the same one that played some made up Tongan team earlier in the year). Thirdly, as they aren't in TRC they actually have no games until the EoY Tour (Spring/Autumn) so maybe it is the full team and finally haven't we just played Fiji and Samoa who sit one and two places behind them in the world rankings?

First of all, 'woah up'? I wasn't ranting. Second, we did just play Fiji and Samoa but neither of them are Japan. The team that made the quarter finals of the 2019 RWC and just recently ran the now 2nd ranked French very close. As much as I enjoy PI Rugby they're not the same. Hell, the teams Japan sent to the PNC (Pacific Nations Cup) in the recent past were their A team. There's no competitive benefit to the Japanese to play our A team. If it's their A squad then that makes sense but no the Brave Blossoms proper.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
First of all, 'woah up'? I wasn't ranting. Second, we did just play Fiji and Samoa but neither of them are Japan. The team that made the quarter finals of the 2019 RWC and just recently ran the now 2nd ranked French very close. As much as I enjoy PI Rugby they're not the same. Hell, the teams Japan sent to the PNC (Pacific Nations Cup) in the recent past were their A team. There's no competitive benefit to the Japanese to play our A team. If it's their A squad then that makes sense but no the Brave Blossoms proper.

how busy is that cherry blossom test calander.

don’t think they playing anywhere near the amount of rugby the t1 nations get involved with.

southern teams got the rugby championship
Northern teams got the 6 nations

I think they would entertain the idea - get as much high quality rugby under their belt as possible.

My problem with Aus A going to play Japan is it would be during their domestic comp window… why not just organise Aus A versus some of the top league teams (mid week fixtures)

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
how busy is that cherry blossom test calander.

don’t think they playing anywhere near the amount of rugby the t1 nations get involved with.

southern teams got the rugby championship
Northern teams got the 6 nations

I think they would entertain the idea - get as much high quality rugby under their belt as possible.

My problem with Aus A going to play Japan is it would be during their domestic comp window… why not just organise Aus A versus some of the top league teams (mid week fixtures)

They have England and France on Nov 13 and 20 so far. And there's still room for Italy and Georgia to add games. They don't have anything during the TRC but they've never had.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
So you are saying Japan playing nobody is better than playing Australia A. Righto.

No, what I'm saying is that I don't see the benefit to them running their national squad out against our development team. I thought we'd as a sprt had moved past treating them as T2 at this point. If it's Japan A then there's definitely benefit to it. But for a Union who successfully hosted and competed at two RWC now and who have actively sought out games against T1 opponents it makes no sense to play your national team against Aus A. It certainly won't make their case any easier to sell to be included in say The Rugby Championship in the future.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
No, what I'm saying is that I don't see the benefit to them running their national squad out against our development team. I thought we'd as a sprt had moved past treating them as T2 at this point. If it's Japan A then there's definitely benefit to it. But for a Union who successfully hosted and competed at two RWC now and who have actively sought out games against T1 opponents it makes no sense to play your national team against Aus A. It certainly won't make their case any easier to sell to be included in say The Rugby Championship in the future.
But they aren't part of TRC in 2022 so if they want a game prior to the end of Oct/Nov their options are limited.

Last edited:

Alex Ross (28)
I know. I guess what I'm asking is what benefit would Italy get from playing Aus A?
That certainly is a different way to ask the question then. I don’t think anyone has suggested Italy should play Aus A.

It was mentioned there may be more for Aus A this year. I’m just going to see that as a positive and not worry about who it is. I think there are plenty of teams that would make it worth the expense. The All Blacks are sending seconds against Canada and a Barbarians team. We could do similar with any number of options. Chile just qualified. I’m sure they will be busting for games. I don’t think Uruguay or Romania have anything pencilled in for November either.