• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia A - Back on the Cards

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
How long is he signed for?

He’s 27 and with a huge injury history it wouldn’t shock me to see him go get paid overseas and even play less like Japan m. Very talented but has been stopped whenever he gets a good run.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
How long is he signed for?

He’s 27 and with a huge injury history it wouldn’t shock me to see him go get paid overseas and even play less like Japan m. Very talented but has been stopped whenever he gets a good run.

Till the end of next yr. Depending on how the rwc goes he might be sniffing out a Lions series but at the same time all his mates are leaving the rebels slowly & working holiday does sound alright

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
This is the type of game you would think we would win by 60 points 5 years ago, great to see the growth in a lot of these other countries. Anyway need to remember this is pretty much our “C” team with 33 in the main squad so we should still comfortably beat them in the World Cup with our B team and hopefully already qualified by then

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Off the back of some of the world cup performances I'd love to see proper Australia A tours of tier 2 nations bedded in going forward. Do a rotating model through the world cup cycle hitting ~3 teams from one of Americas (Uruguay, Chile, USA and Canada), Africa (Namibia and probably South Africa A or South African pro sides at this stage) and Europe (Spain, Portugal, Georgia, etc.) each year. These could potentially be run in concert with Wallabies tours in these regions to help off set costs and link the squads. Aside from supporting these countries development the standard is clearly lifting and the varieties of tactics and game style should help develop that next rung down of players and coaches. Without South Africa and Argentina in super rugby our players are getting significantly less experience playing away and touring so this will help bridge that gap as an added bonus. This would be in combination with some form of yearly tournament in the Pacific and assumes that Japan and Fiji are elevated to the Rugby Championship, otherwise they're the first places we should be engaging with. Now is the time to move on this, with World Rugby trying to get the league of nations over the line they'll hopefully be looking for a way to offer the tier 2 sides excluded from that something, which may see them contribute financially to a proposal like this.

Similarly I wouldn't mind seeing our super rugby sides look to book in games against tier 2 opposition as part of their desire for more off season rugby, but that may be a bit more difficult logistically and financially.

Edit: Forgot to mention I'd like to see this coupled with more full Wallabies tests against these nations, possibly a part of this could be a commitment to play a Wallabies test against any nation that beats Australia A within a few years of their victory.