• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia A - Back on the Cards

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
If it wasn't welcomed by Wests & the qru it wouldn't be happening

i think most QPR teams don’t oppose it because it doesn’t seem to benefit West much anyway, the parachuting in of players and late changes seems to leave West disjointed and playing well below the standard they should be.

If it eventuates that the Rebels treat the West like a NRC team playing to a higher standard and disrupting the competitiveness of the competition, then there would be an issue.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
i think most QPR teams don’t oppose it because it doesn’t seem to benefit West much anyway, the parachuting in of players and late changes seems to leave West disjointed and playing well below the standard they should be.

If it eventuates that the Rebels treat the West like a NRC team playing to a higher standard and disrupting the competitiveness of the competition, then there would be an issue.

I would hate to see wests in 7 of the next 8 finals winning 4 of them, that would make for a terrible comp

just having some fun. But yes I agree & hopefully this is only a temporary fix until RA can get some sort of comp going for Super Rugby players not in the wallabies squad

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Wallaby squads have picked out-of-form players who were more of a liability than Wright would be.

His omission from the Aussie A side is a bit of a slap in the face I think, he's also got leadership qualities for these younger blokes to bounce off.

Maybe there is another reason? Surgery perhaps.
With McReight in the side does Liam even get a game?

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

I would hate to see wests in 7 of the next 8 finals winning 4 of them, that would make for a terrible comp

just having some fun. But yes I agree & hopefully this is only a temporary fix until Rugby Australia can get some sort of comp going for Super Rugby players not in the wallabies squad
:)

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Not everyone is playing for a contract mate.

if someone is hell bent on this pathway and feels hipped by a returning super rugby player well then the grass is always greener at norths.

99% of players are at rugby clubs because of their friends or family. Stop looking at everything thru the prism of “talent finding”
Agree a lot of players and people (not 99%) join a club for the camaraderie and other off field benefits our sport provides.
And this is where the parachuting in of mercenaries contradicts the make up of any club. These players are in the role for their own good first and foremost. They are using the club scene to stoke their higher ambitions.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Agree a lot of players and people (not 99%) join a club for the camaraderie and other off field benefits our sport provides.
And this is where the parachuting in of mercenaries contradicts the make up of any club. These players are in the role for their own good first and foremost. They are using the club scene to stoke their higher ambitions.

all I’m saying is 99% of players don’t give a F about a mercenary coming back to club, if anything they enjoy the newfound success (wests has been a headless chicken in the wilderness since 2006 excluding some token playoff appearances in 2017 & 2021)

if the 1% of players upset at a club feel hard done by because they are playing reserve grade because a super rugby player turned up - then I would argue if they wanted to leave the club for that sole reason then they weren’t a club guy to start with.

this could all be rectified with a legitimate national comp which caters to all 5 super franchises (NRC) where super rugby/representative Players appearance in clubland are limited due to a more gruelling rugby calander.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Ironically I have heard from a number of wests guys how awesome the likes of big Pone, Uelese, Hosea et al we’re around the club. A bunch who didn’t even end up playing came to watch the game and hung around for club night afterwards and were very approachable.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Ironically I have heard from a number of wests guys how awesome the likes of big Pone, Uelese, Hosea et al we’re around the club. A bunch who didn’t even end up playing came to watch the game and hung around for club night afterwards and were very approachable.

The local lads down south have got a pretty good humble culture so this does not surprise me

Uelese being the main driver of this

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Unfortunately until we have a tier between club and Super Rugby, this will remain an issue.
With Australia A happening this year, we can see how club rugby goes with less Super Rugby players returning.
With all that, if we had a spate of injuries for the Wobs in a certain position and our next best was a Force or Rebels player playing club rugby, I’d prefer them playing in the strongest club comps we have.

Last edited:

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
All the young 10s coming through look good but need more time. We have Noah in the Wallabies and Edmed and Donaldson in the A team. And Pasitoa and Carter Gordon both showed great improvement through the season. The key is giving them all game time.
And keep them in Australia, not be a thing that they have a grandfa in Ireland, they go to Connatch and everybody knows the end

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Talakai brought into Wallabies to replace HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes).

HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) was announced in Australia A, not Wallabies - was this a 'shift up' because of Tupou?

Slim pickings at THP for Australia A if they don't release Talakai back to play for them. Hopefully they do after this first game once Tupou is in the clear in the run up to game #2

Did they call up a replacement THP?

Same with Hanigan - once he has learnt the systems in the Wallabies squad they will be comfortable to release him back to Aus A as there are still 4 fit locks and 5 fit backrowers without him.

1. Robertson 2. Kaituu 3. Talakai
4. Hanigan 5. Smith
6. Uru 8. Harris 7. Mcreight
9. Lonergan 10. Edmed 11. Daugunu 12. Hodge 13. Foketi 14. Muirhead 15. Campbell
16. Pollard 17. Gibbon 18. Fotuaika 19. Pugh 20. Anstee 21. Tuttle 22. Donaldson 23. Peitsch

Still going with 12. Hodge & 13. Foketi. Campbell is a better 15 then Hodge and Hodge is a better 12 then Stewart and Foketi has most experience at 13 (with no other 13 options). Could swap Hodge & Foketi is desired.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Talakai brought into Wallabies to replace HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes).

HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes) was announced in Australia A, not Wallabies - was this a 'shift up' because of Tupou?

Slim pickings at THP for Australia A if they don't release Talakai back to play for them. Hopefully they do after this first game once Tupou is in the clear in the run up to game #2

Did they call up a replacement THP?

Same with Hanigan - once he has learnt the systems in the Wallabies squad they will be comfortable to release him back to Aus A as there are still 4 fit locks and 5 fit backrowers without him.

1. Robertson 2. Kaituu 3. Talakai
4. Hanigan 5. Smith
6. Uru 8. Harris 7. Mcreight
9. Lonergan 10. Edmed 11. Daugunu 12. Hodge 13. Foketi 14. Muirhead 15. Campbell
16. Pollard 17. Gibbon 18. Fotuaika 19. Pugh 20. Anstee 21. Tuttle 22. Donaldson 23. Peitsch

Still going with 12. Hodge & 13. Foketi. Campbell is a better 15 then Hodge and Hodge is a better 12 then Stewart and Foketi has most experience at 13 (with no other 13 options). Could swap Hodge & Foketi is desired.
Hanigan is now with the Wallabies I believe.