• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia A - Back on the Cards

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
11am our time I think.

Anyone seen a Tongan team yet?
1656586892525.png

Decent backline...

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Don’t start me on what Stan charge pubs so show it
From what I’ve seen the costs are reasonable, the biggest issue is many pubs are tied to AV systems based on Coax, and Stan isn’t incentive enough to transition just yet to streaming given outlays required.

Last edited:

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Campbell and Hodge need to swap. What a stupid selection.

I'd say it's an indication that Hodge is more in line for a Wallabies recall than Campbell is getting the call up.

I agree that switching them around would be a better selection for the strength of Aus A.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Samoa might be the weakest of the sides now that Tonga has bolstered their roster with so several former All Blacks and Wallabies but I hope we are good enough to beat them.

I think we should.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Campbell and Hogde need to swap. What a stupid selection.

They are very light on with locks. Blythe would make that tight 5 look a bit bigger. Backrower at 4 and at 19... Eek.

I'm looking forward to these games
Key word there is "look" from what I've seen Blyth doesn't get enough of the grunt work done. Especially compared to Smith who would be slightly undersized. He might get there being a young man but I just don't see it.

Agree about Campbell. He hasn't been exposed to a level above Super rugby as yet and can only benefit. We know what Hodge can do. I understand that Hodge should keep his match fitness up as he may get called into the Wallaby squad.

Excited for Pollard to get as much time as possible. Lonergan and Pollard have me very positive about Australian Hookers moving forward.

Rae Rae

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Wonder how Samoa will go in the future, out of their 23, they have only 2 Samoa raised players. Which is insane. Most are NZ, with a decent contingent from Aus too. Tonga are nearly as bad, with Fiji almost all home grown.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Wonder how Samoa will go in the future, out of their 23, they have only 2 Samoa raised players. Which is insane. Most are NZ, with a decent contingent from Aus too. Tonga are nearly as bad, with Fiji almost all home grown.

This is why they ultimately need the grandparent rule more than other countries.

The islands will always have tiny populations but their diaspora grows substantially over time.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
If ‘grunt work’ is making tackles and hitting rucks, statistically Blyth wasn’t falling short in any of those areas. In my opinion, Blyth should feel quite aggrieved he missed out compared to some of the other locks chosen in the squad .
Yeah odd one that.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Where can I see photos and videos of Australia A trainings? It's quite difficult. Most of the RA adverts are about England series lol

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)

Tbf Fiji has more than double the population of Samoa and Tonga combined.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

It will continue much the same I'd imagine. Which going from the likes of the Tongan RL team doesn't seem to bother most. It's more about culture as opposed to whether you were actually born on the Islands or not. Which makes sense given that in there's very little by way of opportunity in either Tonga or Samoa so they look to the two largest more developed economies in terms of migration. Particularly NZ. Fiji on the other hand is like 5x larger in terms of GDP than both combined so there's probably more opportunity keeping many there and thus producing Rugby talent. They also have a larger overall population and significantly more developed pathways. Which would help a lot.