• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia A v Japan XV matches

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
But look otherwise at the current French test side which is vying with Ireland for the world's top ranking. Many of the U20s that just pipped our side with all of those players. I think they are all old enough and experienced enough right now.
France had three years in a row of good showings at the U20 RWC, from memory runners up in 2017 and won it in 2018/19. That age bracket is now feeding into their Test squad.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Might be controversial to say, but Bell probably would be best served heading overseas for a couple years now while he's young, get some good scrummaging in, then come back as a 25 year old at his best and dominate all levels in Aus/Pacific Super Rugby and International level.

I would much prefer that then him staying and then heading overseas at his peak which seems to be what happens with a fair few players.
Viking do you agree it is a huge pity that forwards need to go North to learn how to become forwards?

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
France had three years in a row of good showings at the U20 RWC, from memory runners up in 2017 and won it in 2018/19. That age bracket is now feeding into their Test squad.
Hopefully the Italian U20s team of the last couple of years flows through looking at their results.

The benefit the French Boys have is the amount of footy they play. Most have played or been in the Pro 14 or Pro D2. Brings us to another chat about the need for the NRC or Super Rugby A competition.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
given the financial state of Premiership Rugby, you’d also need an additional $5million annually just to cover the ongoing operating deficits.

The level of debt carried by premiership teams against their annual broadcast and sponsorship distributions is absolutely dire.

Wasps have about $190 million in debt, yes they own 50% of their stadium, but they've got no chance of paying that down and will struggle like Worcester when the bonds come up for renewal.

Last edited:

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I would be starting Hoopert at LHP ahead of Gibbon, Smith at lock ahead of Neville and Wilkin at 7 ahead of Callan. I wouldn't change the halves, but look for 2 new centres. Certainly Stewart at 12, probably Henry at 13. Would also be inclined to start Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase), possible in for Vunivalu.
I'd be looking at Daugunu for 13 which he did for club a bit - makes room for Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) on the wing and Creighton was the only '13' selected..
Henry/Stewat 12/bench. Uru will likely get a run.

1. Hoopert 2. Pollard 3. Pone
4. Frost 5. Hanigan
6. Uru 8. Gleeson 7. Wilkins
9. Lonergan 10. Donaldson 11. Markymark 12. Stewart 13. Daugunu 14. Vunivalu 15. Campbell
16. Lonergan 17. Gibbon 18. Robertson 19. Smith 20. Scott 21. Tuttle 22. Henry 23. Banks

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'd be looking at Daugunu for 13 which he did for club a bit - makes room for Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) on the wing and Creighton was the only '13' selected..

4. Frost 5. Hanigan
9. Lonergan 10. Donaldson 11. Markymark 12. Stewart 13. Daugunu 14. Vunivalu 15. Campbell
16. Lonergan 17. Gibbon 18. Robertson 19. Smith 20. Scott 21. Tuttle 22. Henry 23. Banks
UTR, like the picks but would start with Smith and not sure about Gleeson, so looking forward to this second game to see what he brings.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I'd be looking at Daugunu for 13 which he did for club a bit - makes room for Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) on the wing and Creighton was the only '13' selected..
I really like the idea of Daugunu getting a crack in 13. He can definitely beat a guy 1v1 or get on the outside of him enough to give the winger an opportunity. Creighton was good in the PAC Cup but looked a bit rusty/lost at times last Saturday.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Whilst that old saying likely won’t be going anywhere, I think the idea of a prop not hitting their straps until later in their career is becoming slightly outdated.

It came from the notion that a good prop would ply their trade at club level, going up against the old heads and learning more over the years. That simply doesn’t happen anymore.

For better or worse, with development pathways in place and talent identification, even props are brought into the system early on. From recent memory the only ‘project’ prop in the current setup would be Pone.

If we look at some of Australia’s more recent props such as Slipper, AAA and Sio, their scrummaging has been consistent since they first came onto the scene. I’d argue they’ve actually been able to have more consistent careers over a longer period, instead of suddenly becoming more adept at the back end.

Bell’s scrumming isn’t bad by any means and if he’s able to maintain that consistency over another 10 years, he will have a great career in gold.

Slipper, AAA, Sio - none are known as great scrummagers IMO. At least not compared to Northern counterparts. They can hold there own most of the time but hardly dominate.

My suggestion to head North for Bell could acceralate his scrummaging so he's not just capable, but better then the likes of our previous props.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)

4. Frost 5. Hanigan
Edmed is in Donaldson out.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
All articles published and commentators went nuts about Gleeson
That's why they are called opinions. Not too fussed about commentators' understanding of several aspects of RU.
I don't think he performed that well as an 8 or a back-rower and clearly far below Bobby V and Wilson. As I said before I expected something from him but his impact was limited at ad-line or at the breakdown, average around the paddock ie linking or taking it up and no turnovers that I recall.
His D was pretty good but hardly dominant. I may get a better opinion of him this week assuming he plays.

Last edited:

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He's a 21 year old who has played less than a dozen games of pro rugby.

I think his progression this year has been phenomenal. I thought he had a very good game on Saturday and was outstanding in the Pacific Nations Cup earlier this year. Certainly a future Wallaby and I doubt it will be too far away.

Status
Not open for further replies.