• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia A v Japan XV matches

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Gamble is a really good backrower. Tough as teak. For me, if it is a toss-up between him and Gleeson it would be a close call. Gamble is a 7. I think that will turn out to be Gleeson's best position, too.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Gamble is an international standard 7 in my opinion. Gleeson has more versatility to play 6,8 than Gamble and could be a Pete Samu for the Tahs. Good problems for them. Hoopers future is the big one in all of it for them

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Gamble is a really good backrower. Tough as teak. For me, if it is a toss-up between him and Gleeson it would be a close call. Gamble is a 7. I think that will turn out to be Gleeson's best position, too.
A South Africa 7 maybe

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Gamble is an international standard 7 in my opinion. Gleeson has more versatility to play 6,8 than Gamble and could be a Pete Samu for the Tahs. Good problems for them. Hoopers future is the big one in all of it for them
Do you really think we will see Hooper back at the highest levels again?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Age does not automatically equate to experience.

He seems like a very good prospect. My only reservation is, as Wamb points out, that he isn't the biggest lad.

Plenty of smaller loosies make it in rugby, though. At the very least he'll be a big asset to the Tahs.

Tahs have a stacked backrow now. I count seven quality loose forwards: Hooper, Hanigan, RWV, Harris, Gleeson, Gamble, Swinton.

Too many for one team, almost.
Interesting viewpoint Derpus. I think nearly all of our Super Rugby teams have a similar number of quality backrowers. Wonder where any perceived surplus would go? (Overseas?)

For example, Brumbies have Valetini, Samu, Brown, Hooper, Reimer, Scott, Kennedy with Cale coming along behind. Frost even plays 6 if needed.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Interesting viewpoint Derpus. I think nearly all of our Super Rugby teams have a similar number of quality backrowers. Wonder where any perceived surplus would go? (Overseas?)

For example, Brumbies have Valetini, Samu, Brown, Hooper, Reimer, Scott, Kennedy with Cale coming along behind. Frost even plays 6 if needed.
Not to England, at least.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)

BR: We have plenty of shortish 7's (ex Samu) and a fair number of potential 8's but we don't have a lot of high quality 6's. I am sure the Super Rugby backrows will go OK but I am wondering who out of this group of many will add a lot to the Wallabies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It was a poor joke, I was remarking that Gleeson isn't a '7' as Wamberal mentioned, I believe the only time he would be a '7' is in South Africa where the blindside flanker wears the 7 jersey.
Well, Gleeson is about the same build as Kolisi. On the other side of the scrum Mostert is considerably bigger (198cm and 112kg).

So it wasn't much of a joke.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He can play 7 but he clearly moved away from that role completely last match, he never got to the breakdown quick enough and was roving out wide - now obviously he was wearing #8 and that was his role but I think he continues to put on size he won't play 7 again like he has for Manly even if quick enough. Get him to focus on 6/8 and became a great carrier, link man and dominant tackler.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Well, Gleeson is about the same build as Kolisi. On the other side of the scrum Mostert is considerably bigger (198cm and 112kg).

So it wasn't much of a joke.
not if you dont have a sense of humour it isnt

It's not the stats of his size which my comments were based on, rather his style of play.
As a 21-year-old i expect him to put on a few more kgs anyway, if not already and those figures referenced are outdated.

Last edited:

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It's not the stats of his size which my comments were based on, rather his style of play.
As a 21-year-old i expect him to put on a few more kgs anyway, if not already and those figures referenced are outdated.
Can you supply updated "figures", please?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Can you supply updated "figures", please?
You managed to google Kolisis, surely you can find them yourself.
My point was i judge him on his playing style and not his 'online figures' as they're probably outdated anyway as he is only 21 and still developing

Status
Not open for further replies.