• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia A v Japan XV matches

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
You're completely dropping Campbell from the team?

About all you'll develop in the guy is disappointment that his best is not good enough.

I thought banks was heading to Japan after this year? Doesn't that make him ineligible? Am I mistaken? Is there a point in not playing anyone else at 15 for a player that will have no place in the wallabies at all next year? He didn't even have a nailed on spot for the wallabies before he got injured.

This is a development team on a development tour. No one is getting dropped. Banks will get a start as will Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase). In my eyes Jock is in the Wallaby squad and would be my starting fullback. Hardly “dropped”.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The front row was a standout. I am more and more impressed with both Gibbon and Pone. Reckon Gibbon might have worked his way into Bell's vacant spot on tour. Pone a definite for the tour. Pollard did his job well and the third hooker spot is probably still up in the air between him and Lachie Lonergan.

A better effort all round from the Locks.

Wilkin was also very impressive in his two stints (interrupted by his head injury). We have a surfeit of very good and even better No 7s.

Langi Gleeson put in an excellent shift, hitting up in mid field and making ground in/after contact. Also a good defender. Has established himself as the next choice for 6/8 after Valetini, Samu and Wilson in my view.

Halves kick the ball away far too often, but that smacks to me of Dave Rennie's current game plan being imposed on Aus A. We simply kick too much and too early in phase play, and as a tactic for Vunivalu to chase was a complete failure. As for the ball not getting to Vunivalu, it certainly made its way to Hanigan on the right touchline a number of times. In fact, Vunivalu dropped the ball cold on one (maybe only) time it made its way to him in just a bit of space. Vunivalu doesn't seem to get Rugby yet.

The centres were better especially Bayley Kuenzle, but I don't see either making the tour.

Pietsch was the pick of the wingers and I hope to see him on one wing with Mark Nawaqanitawase on the other next week.

There is still a gap between Campbell and Banks. Both good attacking players but Banks is stronger and more effective in defence. Banks and Kellaway should be the No 15s for the tour.

I would have liked a Japan win in this game to set next week up for a decider, but it should be another even battle between two side playing different styles regardless.

Rugby King

Sydney Middleton (9)
I thought Ned was very good, close to MOM for Oz A. He brings a lot to the pack and with no one grabbing 6 by the scruff of the neck I expect him to go on tour and to be in contention to start. Vunivalu was again underwhelming. Hopefully Stewart gets a start next week. His class was apparent as soon as he came on. Uru also needs more time next week. Its been a good tour.
Banks a definite pick for the tour. He looked strong as
Again, the most critical element is that we were under pressure. THat's what these guys need. I actually kinda wish we lost so we could see how they perform in a decider.

Anyway, if this a development tour and we are giving all a go, then the team is probably something like:

1 Hoopert
2 Asiata
3 Holz
4 Neville / Frost
5 Smith
6 Hanigan [c]
7 Scott
8 Uru
9 Tuttle
10 Donaldson
11 Daugunu
12 Stewart
13 Henry
14 Nawaqanitawase
15 Banks

16 Lonergan
17 Gibbon
18 Pone
19 Frost/Neville
20 Callan
21 Wilson
22 Edmed
23 Pietsch
Also move Hamish to 10 and Henry to 12

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Must start with the coaches I think Dru. Maybe we have to accept that Dave Rennie's coaching style is more like South Africa than what we'd like as fans.

Agreed (your first statement), though (on your second) it seems somewhat churlish to disdain Rennie's game plan or presume what game plan that I might prefer. FWIW I don't have a problem with Rennie's game plan.

The halves seemed limited in guiding the team back into any game plan. When the pack got into the planned rhythm the halves followed. Great. But it also needs leading. A lack of familiarity (with each other and with the game plan) is a big part of this, and will always be an issue with a rep team like Aus A. Lessor experience levels of the players also have an impact on the issue, and not just at the halves. But the halves have a job that is high on their "key role" list.

I don't have a problem with the box kick per se - especially when there is a logical game plan that is driving the technique with a purpose in mind in specific game situations or field positions. My observation is that Lonergan's kicks seem aligned with Vunivalu as the chaser - from what I saw. They were also mostly placed in positions that ensured a concentration of opposition interrupters for the chaser - from what I saw. Putting the chaser into dense traffic. That could be odd coaching (and lack of adaptation) or poor execution (more likely I think). Short of Vunivalu being meant to launch from 13 and not wing it isn't his issue but an issue that lies with the kicker.

But actually that is not what I was talking about. I was talking about how Japan have a game plan that devolves frequently into loose play which leads Aus A (and the Wallabies for that matter) to default into the same looseness. Away from the trained strategy for the game, and into a position of relative strength for Japan. When this happens the halves are key to direct the team back into their trained patterns. Doubly so if you are also the captain. In this respect the game plan itself is irrelevant, getting back onto it is critical, whatever it may be.

BUT the halves played what is in front of them very well and clearly both have high ceilings. The game plan was there when the pack established set patterns. The halves showed good individual skillsets and a positive headspace to go for the win. Aus A should be huge tool for development around this sort of stuff.

Last edited:

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
As for the ball not getting to Vunivalu, it certainly made its way to Hanigan on the right touchline a number of times. In fact, Vunivalu dropped the ball cold on one (maybe only) time it made its way to him in just a bit of space. Vunivalu doesn't seem to get Rugby yet.

I’m not sure catching a ball is a rugby exclusive skill that he’s not quite getting.

I will say, it seemed the Vunivalu signing was to make a point of difference for the Wallabies backline. I’m surprised they haven’t done more plays to specifically utilise his skill set, at his best in RL he was a mixture of hard running (Koro) and aerial attacking skills (Folau) who are two players that really made/make an impact in attack for the Wallabies, so I can see the logic.

Another poster mentioned him being solid in the game, not trying anything adventurous and being more akin to Kellaway. I don’t really want that from Vuni especially considering this “A” side is to develop players and let them showcase their wares for Wallaby selection. He should be looking to be a threat more. Maybe he’s still rusty. Who knows.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Must start with the coaches I think Dru. Maybe we have to accept that Dave Rennie's coaching style is more like South Africa than what we'd like as fans.
BR, I would be happier with Rennie if he had the guys drilled to the max in how to tackle and maintain our defensive lines. The current focus on a game plan and strategy is made poor in both A's and W's. A foundation stone for International rugby is the D and if that ain't good enough then the chances to win reduce or evaporate, particularly in the 2nd half ie AB v Wallabies or Wallaroos yesterday.

I am not advocating a 'defence trumps everything' approach, the game is more complex than that.

My take on importance from 1 to 8
1. Defence.
2. Forward domination or equality at least.
4, Breakdown.
5. Halves control, assuming we have 1 & 2 and minimising the damage if we don't..
6. Sticking to the plan. BUT don't play WW1 where there is no flexibility based on what's happening out there.
7. Supporting the play at all levels.
8. The right Captain.

Happy to accept logical changes here but this is my first take on this critical issue.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I’m not sure catching a ball is a rugby exclusive skill that he’s not quite getting.

I will say, it seemed the Vunivalu signing was to make a point of difference for the Wallabies backline. I’m surprised they haven’t done more plays to specifically utilise his skill set, at his best in Rugby League he was a mixture of hard running (Koro) and aerial attacking skills (Folau) who are two players that really made/make an impact in attack for the Wallabies, so I can see the logic.

Another poster mentioned him being solid in the game, not trying anything adventurous and being more akin to Kellaway. I don’t really want that from Vuni especially considering this “A” side is to develop players and let them showcase their wares for Wallaby selection. He should be looking to be a threat more. Maybe he’s still rusty. Who knows.
Phil, I agree we had a better idea of how to maximise Folau's skills than how to use Vuni even at a basic level.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
BR, I would be happier with Rennie if he had the guys drilled to the max in how to tackle and maintain our defensive lines. The current focus on a game plan and strategy is made poor in both A's and W's. A foundation stone for International rugby is the D and if that ain't good enough then the chances to win reduce or evaporate, particularly in the 2nd half ie AB v Wallabies or Wallaroos yesterday.

I am not advocating a 'defence trumps everything' approach, the game is more complex than that.

1. Defence.
4, Breakdown.
5. Halves control, assuming we have 1 & 2 and minimising the damage if we don't..
6. Sticking to the plan. BUT don't play WW1 where there is no flexibility based on what's happening out there.
8. The right Captain.

Happy to accept logical changes here but this is my first take on this critical issue.
Hard to disagree with that list, but the right captain may make 1 to 7 more likely to occur

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Hard to disagree with that list, but the right captain may make 1 to 7 more likely to occur
LB, particularly when the game gets loose or needs to be sped up or slowed down. Shutting the other guys up and being the only one to speak to the ref is taking on an important role due to our lousy ref relations. The key ingredient is holding the guys' respect and being positive in difficult situations. The right captain is a bit like sex in marriage, it is only 5% of a good marriage but if it ain't there it becomes 100%.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)

1. Defence.
4, Breakdown.
8. The right Captain.

Please add “discipline” to the list.

Too frequently we relieve pressure and momentum by giving away careless penalties.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
remove him so he is fresh for the Wallabies European tour

Where he won't get any game time either. ^^^^ Banks and Kellaway are apparently a done deal from everyone outside of Queensland remember?

Then throw Tate and Jock into a world cup match against the minnows without any test match experience and wonder why they pass to the wrong person, kick at the wrong time or have literally no instincts for the game of rugby.

I see no benefit in developing players to play elite rugby matches by not letting them play elite rugby matches.

*edit* I get thet rugby australia mentioned that Banks will get game time - but I question what the point of "development" for Banks actually is if he is off overseas after this season & he wasn't a shoe in for the 15 before his injury and therefore won't be in the world cup squad (or am I mistaken on that? I may be - but I just haven't heard anything different yet).

Last edited:

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Nomad, not too sure where it should fit as it influences everything. In the defence forces, discipline is #1 and it may be the case in rugby but I have never thought of it that way.

My take on importance from 1 to 8:

1. Defence.
3, Breakdown.
4. Discipline
7, The right Captain.
8. Supporting the play at all levels.

Rugby King

Sydney Middleton (9)
This is a development team on a development tour. No one is getting dropped. Banks will get a start as will Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase). In my eyes Jock is in the Wallaby squad and would be my starting fullback. Hardly “dropped”.
There is nothing else Jock can show us.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Nomad, not too sure where it should fit as it influences everything. In the defence forces, discipline is #1 and it may be the case in rugby but I have never thought of it that way.

My take on importance from 1 to 8:

1. Defence.
3, Breakdown.
4. Discipline
7, The right Captain.
8. Supporting the play at all levels.
Yeah you are right , discipline is part of all the points on your list , particularly the top 3. It just seems to be so obviously missing at times in Australian teams that thought it should get its own line on the list. Or we could just make it a non negotiable to selection. Don’t get the thought process behind picking undisciplined players and then expecting them to behave differently in a Test match.

Status
Not open for further replies.